Notices

who here auto x's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who here auto x's?

I was wondering how well your engine holds up with all the runs and what kind of precautions you guys take to ensure the longevity of your engines with the turbo.

thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who here auto x's? (Nfurno)

i've Auto X'd a couple of times but it was with a stock B16 and in my friends S2k. i have not tried it in my car since i went turbo. i don't think it would be a good idea in my car becuz i don't have much torque below Vtec but when Vtec does kick in, it's all tire spin. it's a shame becuz i have a set of Rims with Toyo AutoX tires just sitting in my garage.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: who here auto x's? (Nfurno)

I do.

I built my car specifically to compete in SM. I put together a "junkyard" turbo setup over a year ago, and couldn't be happier. Did a fairly full season (in the TX heat, not quite AZ heat but pretty close sometimes!) last year with nothing but a blown charge pipe coupling. Lesson learned. Now I always check my charge pipe couplings before an event. I'm just running the afc hack, but I have a decent sized custom FMIC to keep the charge cool. I think that helps a lot for those 1 minute+ autox runs. I'm only running 7 psi right now, but that's more power than I can even use at the moment since I haven't installed a Quaife yet (this summmer hopefully). In terms of reliability, the car has been rock solid, and it's my daily commuter too (rough ride to work...). I think it's due to the relatively low boost I'm running though.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: who here auto x's? (fsp31)

ive autoxed a few times with turbo. its a biutch to get traction . on partial throttle i was smoking thru the whole course
Old 01-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Default Re: who here auto x's? (Killer_B)

Hey Killer_B, how 'bout you sell me those rims and Toyos and I'll put them to good use. email me if you're interested.

RE: longevity of auto-xing a turbo Honda: Always keep clean fresh oil and filter in it, keep it tuned up, use good gas, and DON'T miss a 2-3 upshift and go 2-1. That could really ruin your day! Besides, if anything it's usually tires and brakes that get the most abuse at an auto-x and with the power and torque in your sig you're not going to be at WOT near redline much anyways. That is unless you have an lsd or you like buying tires frequently. Boosted Civics and Integras ROCK at auto-x. Giant killers!
Old 01-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who here auto x's? (tjbizzo)

I have only done 2 events, one about 2yrs ago before getting a hondata and one last week with the hondata, lsd, new clutch, and new tires. I was really fun. It's totally a different car with all the upgrades. I keep the boost down to 8 psi (219hp and 187ftlbs), but am still scared of blowning my motor. I'm going to attend Evolution Autocross Driving School this weekend, I just hope the car holds up. I'm pretty sure it will, I just wanted to know what I can do just for reassurance.