Notices

who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :)

I'm sick and tired of hearing about "oh yeah, I heard they work great" and "yeah my buddy runs one, it's awesome". I want to hear testimonials from you turbo honda guys on how well these work, how they seal, how long they last, how long it takes for them to fully open, etc.

Old 11-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Banned

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (boostincoupe)

I have one, it works great. If you RTV the mating faces like the instructions show, they seal extremly well. It takes approximatley 5 seconds to either open or close. I give it a quick tap after 5 seconds to make sure the motor locks down the butterfly valve. This is a quicktime unit.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (boostincoupe)

We run 2 (one for each header) on our camaro, they're 3 inch QTP units.......all I can say is they're BADASS. Cutouts open vs. cutouts closed (on motor, not spraying) they make a 4 tenths difference in the quarter (13.1's vs 12.7's with the cutouts open)......
They've been on a year or so no problems, and take about 3-4 seconds to change position (open->close or close->open).....never had any sealing problems either, just make sure they're fully closed (we hold the switch 5 seconds to make sure they're fully open/closed)

If I ever have some time to mess around with the prelude, I'll be putting in a 3 inch one that dumps right behind the front tire.....

If you're cursed with a small exhaust and/or a cat, I'd say a cutout is one of the best bang-for-your-buck mods out there.....I've got a 3 inch mandrel exhaust and no cat, and I'm still gonna get one cause they're so cool
Brian
Old 11-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (Firedrake)

I run one. I held a gb for them a couple months ago. Mine was working great, but I fucked it up. I had it mounted too low and i ran over a speedbump or a rock kicked up and knocked the motor off of it. Im too lazy to pull it off and repair it. I would suggest they be mounted so that no road debris can get to them---Im even thinking of some type of a rockgaurd when I get the time to pull it and repair it.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:55 PM

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (93LSivic)

For you guys who actually use it, how much did your spool time improve?

Please list the exhaust that you're running when it's closed too....helps out us folks who are already running exhaust
Old 11-28-2003, 07:10 PM

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (T4sol)

Full-Race Henry's civic with prototype AC kit with 3.0 dp and e-cutout dyno'd on wednesday down in tucson. it made 300whp and xxx trq with the e-cutout closed and a apexi 2.25 exhaust @ ~11psi on our T3/T67. with the e-cutout open, it made 420whp and xxx trq @ ~14lbs. we have the dyno plots somewhere, well post em up later.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (Full-Race Javier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Javier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Full-Race Henry's civic with prototype AC kit with 3.0 dp and e-cutout dyno'd on wednesday down in tucson. it made 300whp and xxx trq with the e-cutout closed and a apexi 2.25 exhaust @ ~11psi on our T3/T67. with the e-cutout open, it made 420whp and xxx trq @ ~14lbs. we have the dyno plots somewhere, well post em up later.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's the core of my debate. I daily drive my car, and don't really street race much at all, and I only plan on going to the track about 5-6 times next season. Do you think that an e-cutout would be worth it for me? The cost-to-effectiveness ratio is hard to beat compared to an aftermarket turbo-back. I mean, this is what my planned setup would cost:

-2.5" greddy downpipe - $200
-2.5" -&gt; 3" flare - ?
-3" carsound cat w/o2 bung - $80-100
-3" piping (Kteller8 ) - $220
-welding - $100 (?)
-3" Apexi N1 muffler - $100
-3" resonator - $50

Total: ~$750

VS.

stock greddy 2" downpipe
stock 2" cat
stock 2" exhaust
e-cutout - $150 + install, welding, so about ~ $200-250

Total: $200-250 MAX

Advice welcome.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boostincoupe--

i would at least try to get a 3" downpipe into the ecutout, then go small from there..if you have a 2" downpipe to cutout, it still has to run through the 2"... just my opinion, but good reasoning through the numbers...
Old 11-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedStarGsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedStarGsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boostincoupe--

i would at least try to get a 3" downpipe into the ecutout, then go small from there..if you have a 2" downpipe to cutout, it still has to run through the 2"... just my opinion, but good reasoning through the numbers...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Biggest I can go for a downpipe is 2.5" - I want to keep A/C

but I was also thinking - for now, why don't I try and do something like a test pipe/ecutout? Do the whole works, get the proper flanges to replace the stock cat, get an o2 simulator (I'm OBD-II ), and set up the e-cutout right where the stock cat was (I'll buy a 2.5", but will a 2.5" cat bolt up to a 2" downpipe and cat-back?) so it still keeps the quietness and can be opened up at my choosing. What's this stuff I hear about spot-welding the mounting screws? is there a pic someone can post of what I'm talking about?
Old 11-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedStarGsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedStarGsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boostincoupe--

i would at least try to get a 3" downpipe into the ecutout, then go small from there..if you have a 2" downpipe to cutout, it still has to run through the 2"... just my opinion, but good reasoning through the numbers...</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW my car won't make more than 220whp for the next two years (read: rest of college - almost done woohoo! ) so I don't need an overkill setup...yet.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (Full-Race Javier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Javier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Full-Race Henry's civic with prototype AC kit with 3.0 dp and e-cutout dyno'd on wednesday down in tucson. it made 300whp and xxx trq with the e-cutout closed and a apexi 2.25 exhaust @ ~11psi on our T3/T67. with the e-cutout open, it made 420whp and xxx trq @ ~14lbs. we have the dyno plots somewhere, well post em up later.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Alright, lets see. I got my dyno sheet right in front of me
Closed 295.1 whp 211.0 trq
Opened 420.8 whp 258.0 trq
Old 11-28-2003, 11:52 PM

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (Full-Race Henry)

We need a dyno comparison of it open and closed with no other changes, to get any usefully info from the dyno plots.

You turned up the boost between your runs so the numbers are useless unfortunitly
Old 11-29-2003, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (Alstare)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alstare &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We need a dyno comparison of it open and closed with no other changes, to get any usefully info from the dyno plots.

You turned up the boost between your runs so the numbers are useless unfortunitly </TD></TR></TABLE>

There wasnt any changes. I didnt turn up the boost controller between runs.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (Full-Race Henry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Henry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There wasnt any changes. I didnt turn up the boost controller between runs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean no changes? It says in your previous post that it was closed at 11psi and open at 14psi. That is a change if you ask me, and a big one at that. It is useless info if it isn't at the same boost level.

-Ryan
Old 11-29-2003, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (Kwuaymaikrup)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kwuaymaikrup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What do you mean no changes? It says in your previous post that it was closed at 11psi and open at 14psi. That is a change if you ask me, and a big one at that. It is useless info if it isn't at the same boost level.

-Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

the previous post i had was my dyno results. full-race javier was mistaken. if you dont believe me, ask st00pid cause he was the one that tuned it and ran it closed and open.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Alright, lets see. I got my dyno sheet right in front of me
Closed 295.1 whp 211.0 trq
Opened 420.8 whp 258.0 trq
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your telling me you made an extra 125.7whp and 47lbs tq with just the cutout? I dunno, I haven't had any experience with these cutouts but that seems kind unrealistic, but like I said I dunno...

If it's true I don't see why everyone and there brother wouldn't be buying these cheap cutouts to gain almost 100% increas in power. It would definitly put it in the lead for best power per dollar mod know to man. I don't know, if these results were due to no other changes then I gotta call BS on this one..sorry
Old 11-29-2003, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :) (Alstare)

Alright guys, I wouldnt lie about something so stupid. The boost controller wasnt touched. it spooled faster and made full boost with it when it was opened. it lagged and didnt make full boost when it was closed.

Yes, i am telling you I made an extra 125.7 whp and 47 trq with it opened. Unrealistic or not, thats what happend. People were there and witnessed it. Cutouts work better and are cheaper than exhausts.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sick and tired of hearing about "oh yeah, I heard they work great" and "yeah my buddy runs one, it's awesome". I want to hear testimonials from you turbo honda guys on how well these work, how they seal, how long they last, how long it takes for them to fully open, etc.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I use the quicktime cutouts. I have one on my teg and my civic. they work great, they dont seal unless you use rtv or hondabond, the one on my teg has lasted me about 6 months and its still working. the one on the civic has been on for about a month. it takes about 5 seconds to open it and then 5 seconds to close it.

I have an extra qtec cutout so if anyone wants one, let me know.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Biggest I can go for a downpipe is 2.5" - I want to keep A/C </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 3" dp with ac
Old 11-29-2003, 01:27 AM

Default Re: (Full-Race Henry)

i really want to buy a good unit who has the best e-cutout out there?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowsi00)

Henry is only making that power cuz he is using the super dooper full race setup
Old 11-29-2003, 09:06 AM

Default Re: (int3gra)

err...so can anyone give numbers on spoolup time??? The HP gains sound awesome, but how's the throttle response??
Old 11-29-2003, 09:23 AM

Default Re: (T4sol)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=640685

I dynoed with it on and off. I gained no HP and lost TQ. My A/F leaned out a little also. I just got rid of mine. I might end up selling it for dirt cheap. Bad thing about these are, if you lean out and detonate...........YOU WON'T KNOW IT.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowsi00)

I like the qtec's
Old 11-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (maxpsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxpsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=640685

I dynoed with it on and off. I gained no HP and lost TQ. My A/F leaned out a little also. I just got rid of mine. I might end up selling it for dirt cheap. Bad thing about these are, if you lean out and detonate...........YOU WON'T KNOW IT.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, ive never heard of anyone loosing power, except for na cars. even on my integra, i gained 40 whp.

Quick Reply: who actually OWNS and USES an E-CUTOUT? Post up if you do :)