Notices

whew.... that was close...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whew.... that was close...

I almost bought a greddy.... I think ill go with drag (yes, the mani sucks, i know) i was curious about spool up times..... I want a usable power band... i dont want to wait till 5k for the power to come on.... so my question is.... *ive seached*

On a basicaly stock b16 (with your standard bolt ons) what am i looking at for lag time... on the t4e .57 vs. the super V trim??

any help would be greatly appriciated.... if i have failed to list important info, just let me know and ill try to find what is requested....
Old 09-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: whew.... that was close... (Tactics)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tactics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I almost bought a greddy.... I think ill go with drag (yes, the mani sucks, i know) i was curious about spool up times..... I want a usable power band... i dont want to wait till 5k for the power to come on.... so my question is.... *ive seached*

On a basicaly stock b16 (with your standard bolt ons) what am i looking at for lag time... on the t4e .57 vs. the super V trim??

any help would be greatly appriciated.... if i have failed to list important info, just let me know and ill try to find what is requested.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you want a useable powerband then you should get the greddy kit.

Not that I would know.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:28 AM

Default Re: whew.... that was close... (boostincoupe)

Thanks Boostin..... i really dont want the Greddy.....
Old 09-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why wouldn't you want the greddy? It's like one of THE best matched turbo's to that motor as far as street-fun factor. It spools fast as ****, pulls nice and hard (more than enough to make you smile) and is made of pretty nice components.
You really need to decide what your goals are -- But IMO if this is going to be a car that you are going to drive every day, I would take the greddy kit over the drag kit any day. We threw one on my friends hatch, stock d15b7 with the EX kit, and even with a smaller turbo than comes with the SI kit, it's still a blast to drive and pulls nice'n'hard at just 10 psi-- and theres probably another 50hp in it with another 5lbs.

If you've never drivin a turbo honda before you will be really suprised at how fun the greddy kit is- After all you can make almost 300 whp with the 16g (I think it's a 16g) that comes with the kit -- and 300whp in a honda is no joke whatsoever, especially with the spool times that come with a greddy kit. The car REALLY moves with even just over 200 whp, never mind 300.

Matt
Old 09-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

curious, why not Greddy?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: whew.... that was close... (Johnyquest)

Thanks for the reply matt.... i have never been in a Greddy boosted car.... I have driven a Drag powered car and it pulled real nice (yeah, it was a little laggy) Its just from everything i have read (correct me if im wrong) the Drag will support more hp in the end.... i really dont want to boost 15lbs to make (say) 270whp (greddy) It seems like people get about 200whp with the Greddy and 230-40whp with the drag.(bolt on)

btw, i think the Greddy comes with the 18g for my car

Thanks for your opinion.... this is what im looking for
Old 09-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

expect boost about 4k - 4500 i would say
Old 09-01-2004, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

Im very curious..... have you ever gone up against a car with a similar set up as yours, but with the Drag kit.... If so, how was the outcome..... did it do well?

Thanks for your reply Turbo E
Old 09-01-2004, 09:15 AM
95GSRTT

I figure he doesnt want greddy b/c he probably wants more than 230 whp. Just a guess. I think the ONLY reason to go greddy is b/c its CARB legal. Thats it
Old 09-01-2004, 09:17 AM

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

^^^^^

edit: your right.... . the carb thing is nice because i live in Or. where we have the OBDII scan... i was lucky enough to find someone to help me out....

Once again, thanks for the replies keep em' coming
Old 09-01-2004, 09:23 AM

Turbo E.... i saw your video but its hard for me to tell..... when do you get full boost on your Greddy setup?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tactics)

I had the greddy kit on my 00 si, and i will eventually buy one for my gsr. The turbo is capable of 400 hp according to greddy, and can put street cars into the 12's. I highly advise against the drag kit, but its your money.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: (hadboosttroy)

yeah but 400 hp at what boost? 22psi?? im looking for low boost (due to the stock bottom end) that will still make the power.

how did you like your greddy on your SI ? when did it spool? Have you raced someone with the drag setup?

opinions are greatly appriciated no matter what they are. Thanks everybody.

Your in clackamas...... Ever make it down here to Medford??
Old 09-01-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: whew.... that was close... (Johnyquest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnyquest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">300whp in a honda is no joke whatsoever. The car REALLY moves with even just over 200 whp, never mind 300.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So true. There's no need for a 400-500 daily driver honda...

Old 09-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whew.... that was close... (kettnerc)

my buddy is running a greddy kit on his 00 si, currently running 15psi daily on a stock bottom end with hondata and 440s. Remember an 18g(turbo in SI kit) at 15psi is less air than a t3/t4oe at 15psi.

hell DSMs run 16g's to like 35psi, the turbo isn't a joke, just not a huge power maker.

My buddy was making 225whp @ 7psi and ran a 8.0@85 in the 1/8th.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Re: whew.... that was close... (kettnerc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kettnerc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So true. There's no need for a 400-500 daily driver honda...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not after 400whp...... I just want more than 210whp which is the highest i have seen for the stock boost level on the greddy.... I know there are a lot of people out there that make mad HP, (one guy at like 346 or something 22LBS ) Seems like the Drag kits put down closer to 240whp.

thanks for the reply
Old 09-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tactics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah but 400 hp at what boost? 22psi?? im looking for low boost (due to the stock bottom end) that will still make the power.

how did you like your greddy on your SI ? when did it spool? Have you raced someone with the drag setup?

opinions are greatly appriciated no matter what they are. Thanks everybody.

Your in clackamas...... Ever make it down here to Medford??</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have to understand, your motor will not let go because you were running 30 psi making 300 whp vs. 300 whp at 10 psi on a different turbo. You only need to look at how much hp you are making, not the boost of the turbo. I ran the greddy kit on my si at six psi and it was fun as hell. I never raced it or anything, and for the life of me can't remember when it spooled, but fairly quickly.

Lived in portland/clackamas my whole 20 years, and honestly have never been to medford. I should go on a tour of oregon one of these days
Old 09-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tactics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not after 400whp...... I just want more than 210whp which is the highest i have seen for the stock boost level on the greddy.... I know there are a lot of people out there that make mad HP, (one guy at like 346 or something 22LBS ) Seems like the Drag kits put down closer to 240whp.

thanks for the reply </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea but dont you think the greddy kit may make the car faster cause of the spool up time is much faster.....why not get the greddy and the money you save on it compared to the drag kit you can throw in some rods and arp rod bolts fo rinsurance.....and people need to stop asking how much boost there stock block can handle its more like how much hp can it handle cause two tottally different turbos will flow different at same boost levels....hope its not to late to get the greddy
Old 09-01-2004, 01:56 PM

greddy is a good kit if your not planning on ever building internals. it will spool quick and have all the boost youll ever need. if u plan to upgrade internals later on go with something bigger (like a drag kit). i personally have a t3/t04e. it is a bit laggy as it doesnt really spool till 4000rpm but when it hits 4k dayum.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Re: whew.... that was close... (donkiman)

thanks for the replies its been a hard decision for me to make.... I do plan on upgrading internals, because as we know, the hunt for more power never ends. I just dont see myself happy with the greddy kit, but wanted some opinions to see if my mind would change.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bserieskllr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and people need to stop asking how much boost there stock block can handle its more like how much hp can it handle cause two tottally different turbos will flow different at same boost levels....</TD></TR></TABLE>

and who in this post asked that??
Old 09-09-2004, 02:14 PM

Drag is replacing their crappy manifolds with the Blox manifold (which is very identical to the inline pro). I am not sure if this applies to D-series motors though. Maybe you should call them to ask. Anyhow, Greddy&lt; Drag for YOUR application/goals/situation.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Btw, my Greddy kit made 232whp @ 7.5psi in my GSR, and walk stock LS-1's & Evo's fairly easy. Starts spooling around 3k and usually reaches full boost by 4000 rpm. Lots of usable power!
Old 09-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tactics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im very curious..... have you ever gone up against a car with a similar set up as yours, but with the Drag kit.... If so, how was the outcome..... did it do well?

Thanks for your reply Turbo E</TD></TR></TABLE>

i ran against a b16a w/drag kit. he's just a tad faster 13.1XX. specs are unknown. i run 13.3@104mph full interior 7 psi. his car was gutted.

IMO id rather have the low end torque (if you can even call it that) ans quick spool on the street. i race maybe 2-3 time a yr only.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the replies..... My desicion is :

Drag To4e
greddy type S
FMU (uberdata pending)
Inline pro
440cc's
tial 38mm
(need clutch suggestions)
lighter flywheel (dont know which one yet)

Thanks to all who replied !!
Old 09-10-2004, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you are not firmly set on either option yet. to give you just a bit more information, i have a drag III kit on my GSR, and within my crew we also have a GSR with the greddy kit.

I'm running 9 psi daily, he's doing about 12 psi. both are stock blocks with no internal mods whatsoever. my turbo does not kick in at all it seems until at least 4000 rpm, you can basically drive it out of boost all day long, which is what i do for my work commute. it saves me a lot of gas too 29-30 mpg on a 1 hour mostly high way trip. but it definitely has top end when needed, we're talking about 4500-5000 when it really starts to build boost. 120mph comes in just a few moments from 80mph. real fun on the highways

Now the local street experience is quite different. by the time i get into boost, the short street jaunt is probably over due to a stop sign/stop light/turn/whatever. the lag is annoying when you just want to drive a little faster on the street without going ***** out imo.

the greddy kit is a blast on the streets, strong boost around 3000 rpm, instant GO! it really defeats the purpose of a supercharger for a gsr, it reacts that fast imo. the top end is not as crazy as the drag but still sufficient to walk away from evo's and wrx, etc. it's a kit that is very well matched to the engine to produce an experience that is near seamless in terms of usable power.

Really you owe it to yourself to experience both before you make a decision. I like my setup but I can appreciate the pros and cons of both. our cars have the potential to run about the same times on the track, other than that I am such a rookie at it (2.7 sec 60') at a 14.3 et. he did 13.6 with a 2.2 sec 60'. we both crossed the line at around 100-102 mph.

something else you should be aware of is the installation and fit and finish. needless to say, the greddy kit fits sublime. the drag kit requires you to cut the block, and some other small things. the a/c unit is also hard to manage with a tial wastegate.

try both before you buy! also look for fit and finish, ease of install, etc. then decide which one you are more comfortable with.

either one is a good choice, and welcome to the dark side........

Quick Reply: whew.... that was close...