Notices

where ot mount e-cut out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to mount e-cut out?

hey guys

have a quick question i am starting my turbo build .... right now the car has dc headers with a high flow cat and a dc cat back

my question is im looking to do electric cut out when i go turbo so i can keep the dc cat back

but my question is where do the cut outs usually get placed? also what size is the dc cat back or how big do they usually run?

the cut out has to be the same size as the exhuats piping depending where it goes, do people usualyl place them on the DP or replace the cat with this?

thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where to mount e-cut out? (killablaze)

bumpppp
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where to mount e-cut out? (rota92)

well im trying to save money the car has the cta back now i think it would be easier just to do cu tout instead of buying another 3 inch exhuats cuz then i would need a nice 3 inch test pipe
Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

true if i sell ehader and exhaust i can then buy test pipe witht he 3 in exhuast

do u know where i could pick up a test pipe tho that will be 3 inches? all the ones i have found are 2.25 or 2.5
Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where to mount e-cut out? (killablaze)

Depending on how much vibration you will get from your exhaust/downpipe, the motor on the cutout will probably eventually fall apart.

I've had 2 dmh cutouts on seperate cars do this. It is the thin metal on the actual motor that cracks and eventually breaks off. I've since converted them with some old sohc throttle bodies.....seems to be working ok. I wouldn't buy one with a motor bolted directly on the cutout.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 AM

Default Re: where to mount e-cut out? (5thgen)

If you were to put a Ecut I would recommend it to be after the DP. It would be pretty damn loud if you put it right after the oil pan which is where the DP usually is so if you put it after it will be better.

Best position is right after the shifter with a dump but that will involve cutting your DC cat back so your only option is where the cat would be. Just remember to put a dump on it and depending on your emissions laws becareful. Your DC cat back is 2.25". Just get a 2.5" or 3" DP and reduce it to the DC pipe size.

If you get the car tuned with the ecut then you have to remember that your car will run richer when ecut is closed. Just thought you should know.

One of my friend has it on his RX7 with Z06 turbo and let me tell you it sounds good for the first few sec and it gets annoying loud afterwards but it's a good way to scare the other drivers and not to mention your neighbors.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: where to mount e-cut out? (CRX T-Si)

I have my cutout right before the bend around the gas tank. I made a topmount's complete downpipe and 3" exhaust to that point with 60" of piping and a 24" resonator. Then right before the cutout, it branches off to the stock axle-back. Silent as hell with a very nice kick when I want. You can also still hear the turbine scream/whine with than much 3" piping.

Otherwise put it just before the steering x-member, or just past it where the cat was. there is usually enough space there, but as mentioned, you'll get everything filled with soot, as well as getting that gasy smell of exhaust in the car when open. Mine only gets soot on the stock heat sheild, and I smell nothing from it.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've ran a 3" qtp e cutout for awhile before it crapped out on me , then I just went with a manual cutout that is easy to get to. I dont have any pics of it but it comes off my 3"dp before my tire. I have a 3"exhaust as well but my tuner loves the cutout since it picked up 38whp by opening the cutout. As long as you have decent wg placement it will hold boost fine.