Notices

Where can I buy quality oil lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I buy quality oil lines?

Del sol b16a2 low budget turbo build. Turbonetics turbo and wastegate hks bov. Quality **** I'm only going to run 8psi on stock b16. Anyone know where to get quality oil lines. Return and feed with all fittings? Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Where can I buy quality oil lines?

I just received my feed and return from brfittings.com. Seems to be of good quality. I think b&r fittings is a sponsor on here too.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you can find cheap fittings and quality lines on ebay..
I got 10 3-an lines for like 8 bucks... used them from brake lines, turbo feed, and signal lines for wastegates and bov's.
got 20 3-an-1/8npt fittings for 5 bucks.
i goes on and on

a lot of nascar teams sell their surplus and used items on ebay and virtually all of them have no wear or time on them
Old 08-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 on b&r fittings, great communication, great prices and fast shipping!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

btw I'm a n00b and learning all this by myself for the 1st time; I scratched the f out of the cool fittings assembling them using a vise grip(should've used a smooth jaw but didn't have that available) and crescent wrench. I'd suggest going cheap 1st so that you can scratch up the ebay ones and learning from assembling those, and then u can upgrade later. Thats what I should've done lol.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lmao. Thanks guys I'll check those sites out. And eBay. Idk about that lol
Old 08-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You think running 8psi on a stock b16 will be alright?
Old 08-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

ebay is perfectly fine. all the race teams use high quality lines... I got my 20-an kevlar line thats 36" long for my catch can setup for 25 bucks... its a 500 dollar line normally.
its your best bet and they normally have tons of different lengths... plus if you buy one thats too long you can always shorten.

if your post or pm me with what you're looking for i can probably find it on ebay for you
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want "quality" I wouldn't go B&R or eBay. They use non-standard AN wrench sizes to put the fittings together. Ridiculous if you ask me... all of the "major" name brands can be assembled with the proper wrenches. If you are using anything other than aluminum wrenches, you are doing it wrong. I just don't understand the cheap people in this world. It costs another $15 (if that) to do it right.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

i buy only name brand off of ebay... all lines I have purchased have been what they are supposed to be... theres no such thing as a "non-standard" an fitting... an is an army navy standard and if it doesnt use an AN wrench or isn't an AN size then its an npt or other fitting. I've seen people confuse those with an fittings... They do make non-an non 37 degree taper fittings
Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Hah. Please do not insult me by "trying" to correct me kid. There is not such standard as "Army / Navy" fittings - it's the Aeronautical and Navy. The Army isn't exactly in a place that if a fitting fails they crash or sink...These use 37* taper seals. They have industry counterparts call JIC/FJIC fittings that don't have the same standard of thread fit. Another form is not NPT, but rather SAE and uses a 45* taper. If you don't believe me, I am sure the Google will back me up. Although, I am fairly confident I am 110% correct as they started to use this standard in WWII which I was alive in that era.

I hate to break it to you, but when a manufacture doesn't follow standards, that makes it a "non-standard" part does it not? Think outside your little computer screen. This is very similar to things like M16/M4/AR-15 ect that have "Military" and "Commercial" specifications for building a rifle... think about it!!!

So again, don't use the ones I mentioned before as they don't use the standard AN wrench sizes to assemble them. Buying "quality used" (oxymoron) parts from eBay is not the same as buying China garbage. I know what I am talking about kid, stop trying to **** me off.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I've encountered JIC/FJIC fittings on ebay, but that's a clear difference from AN fittings
(i wasn't trying to correct you nor insult you, why must you take every reply to yours as some sort of personal attack? I was adding to your post so sorry if I came off that way, plus I wrote that on 35hrs of no sleep)
I've also seen SAE fittings as well and again, clearly different from AN but I guess to the uneducated and unfamiliar that they wouldn't know the difference

and i'm not a kid

yes the other fittings you mentioned wouldn't be able to utilize the AN wrenches since they are all sorts of goofy sizes. I've seen them on some hydraulic setups and trying to work on them is a ***** because you never know exactly which wrench to grab.

I've bought all sorts of things off ebay that were of name brand and quality... albeit used. Nothing wrong with second hand parts that were well maintained and taken care of... I got a set of wilwood intergra 4gt calipers that were used for mock up on a stock car chassis. new cost 2500 each. my cost - 250 for the pair... but it also helps to know when people have things horribly mislisted
Old 08-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A good manufacture of hoses and fittings is Aeroquip.
FYI, OP if you are asking about where to get hoses stick with BR they might even be able to assemble the hose and fittings for you and yes they may cost more the Ebay but it sounds like you not sure what quality is. BTW get Steel braided for your oil lines especially for turbo supply and return.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

duplicate

Last edited by fcluddington; 08-25-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: dup.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:44 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Aeroquip, Earls, Fragola, just to name a few... Fragola is more on the "budget" end vs. some of the other offerings available
Old 08-25-2012, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Hah. Please do not insult me by "trying" to correct me kid. There is not such standard as "Army / Navy" fittings - it's the Aeronautical and Navy. The Army isn't exactly in a place that if a fitting fails they crash or sink...These use 37* taper seals. They have industry counterparts call JIC/FJIC fittings that don't have the same standard of thread fit. Another form is not NPT, but rather SAE and uses a 45* taper. If you don't believe me, I am sure the Google will back me up. Although, I am fairly confident I am 110% correct as they started to use this standard in WWII which I was alive in that era.

I hate to break it to you, but when a manufacture doesn't follow standards, that makes it a "non-standard" part does it not? Think outside your little computer screen. This is very similar to things like M16/M4/AR-15 ect that have "Military" and "Commercial" specifications for building a rifle... think about it!!!

So again, don't use the ones I mentioned before as they don't use the standard AN wrench sizes to assemble them. Buying "quality used" (oxymoron) parts from eBay is not the same as buying China garbage. I know what I am talking about kid, stop trying to **** me off.

LMAO-I spent 13 years in Aviation overhaul and maintenance and always thought AN was for Army/Navy. I am not sure why or how it got started probably cause all american aviation uses MIL spec. Back in the early 90's everyone In aviation stopped assembling their own hoses because of liability and such. I did get a kick *** collection of an fittings filling several large tackle boxes. Personally tech. changes made it hard to beat a machine swedged hose end fitting. But we aren't seeing 3,000 plus psi either. Good point about the 37 to 45 lots screw this up.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

yea i've seen lots of people bitching about leaking brake line and clutch an fittings when they used a 45* flare tool and didn't know any better.

A buddy of mine works on the F22's at a local base, he came into the shop one day and heard me talking about needing wiggins clamps... he asked me what I needed and came back in a week with 4 complete hard anodized mil-spec clamp assemblies and just handed them to me... I kinda geeked over all that, turns out their used on the main engine fuel supply lines... Still have those laying around, waiting for a really awesome project to put them on, didn't feel right just tossing those on any old build
Old 08-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I'm gonna go with b&r it's about 90$ for both return and feed. Thanks for the input
Old 08-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go auto-works makes amazing feed lines and complete kits for your needs. I love mine
Old 08-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stealthmode performance
Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I like go auto works lol
Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
stealthmode performance
best bet. cheaper than go-auto and great quality
Old 08-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
If you want "quality" I wouldn't go B&R or eBay. They use non-standard AN wrench sizes to put the fittings together. Ridiculous if you ask me... all of the "major" name brands can be assembled with the proper wrenches. If you are using anything other than aluminum wrenches, you are doing it wrong. I just don't understand the cheap people in this world. It costs another $15 (if that) to do it right.
ummm.. Afraid you're incorrect on that one. At least on the B&R not being able to use non-stanard AN wrenches. I've used all the standard AN wrenches on my own water fitting kit. Didn't you pick up a few items from them not too long ago? Were they not what is considered to be a quality product? I was just wondering.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:16 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by TheShodan
ummm.. Afraid you're incorrect on that one. At least on the B&R not being able to use non-stanard AN wrenches. I've used all the standard AN wrenches on my own water fitting kit. Didn't you pick up a few items from them not too long ago? Were they not what is considered to be a quality product? I was just wondering.
I hate to correct you, but I will be as nice as possible. I said ASSEMBLE them, not INSTALL them. All quality fittings use standard wrenches to assemble them, B&R does not. I was unimpressed honestly, if I am going to spend money, I want every last penny worth my hard earned money. I do not feel like using an old combination wrench to assemble a product when I have HUNDREDS of dollars spent on proper AN tools (that wear out haha). To me this is unacceptable and inferior. Also, considering the weight of the product compared to a "Russell's" and "AFI" fitting I had laying around, they are made out of cheaper aluminum (not as durable).

So, to recap;

Was I impressed with B&R itself as a company? Yes.
Was I impressed with their fittings? No, not at all.
Was I happy with the quality of the other parts I purchased? Yes, for the most part. (Cheap Aluminum on some.)
Would I buy from them again? Yes, as I received everything that they had to do with rather quickly. All products were individually packaged and packed well.

Again, I am more than honest in my descriptions, and always will be. I don't need sponsorships and could care less what parts I use as long as I get the QUALITY I expect. Are the parts on the car right now functioning as expected? Yes, the ones that are currently installed. I normally pop open a "Jegs" or "Summit" book and go straight to the most expensive part, why? Well, because I get what I want and expect. Then again, most of that is just for street beaters or the likes. I purchased the other items because I was on the website ordering your turbo. I am an extremely bad impulse buyer, and like to purchase things when I get the urge to.

Don't worry, I was thinking about doing a basic review on your turbo when I get a chance.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

yea when I do have to purchase some costly fittings I would prefer them to be able to be assembled with the proper an wrenches... other methods will chew the fittings up and gall the anodizing like butter.... although I've found even some proper an fittings require my knipex smooth jaw pliers because you can't get enough leverage with the an wrenches

Quick Reply: Where can I buy quality oil lines?