Notices

When installing forged pistons and rings quick question!

Old 12-31-2003, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When installing forged pistons and rings quick question!

About 8 months ago I install a set of JE pistons and eagle rods. When I put the rings on I didn't do any measuring or nothing at all... All I did was hone the block and replace the rod bearings! I was wonderin the set or rings that come with the JE pistons need to be filed to fit? Well anyway I got scared and I did a compression test and I was 180psi (+or- 5psi)! What I'm asking is when you guys install pistons what is the right way to do the install?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: When installing forged pistons and rings quick question! (9psiTurboSI)

The rings need to be gapped when installed...
Old 12-31-2003, 10:20 PM

Default Re: When installing forged pistons and rings quick question! (5thgencivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgencivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The rings need to be gapped when installed...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think so! But for all you guys that rebuild honda's how important is it?
Old 12-31-2003, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: When installing forged pistons and rings quick question! (9psiTurboSI)

lol
Old 12-31-2003, 10:37 PM

Default Re: When installing forged pistons and rings quick question! (LilManSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LilManSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

What?
Old 12-31-2003, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a block where I didn't gap the rings, so I wouldn't know or want to know what would happen. I'm guessing it's very important.

Shoulda been Gapped and rotated to correct seating positions
Old 12-31-2003, 11:51 PM

Default Re: (Paul_Vang)

call up JE and ask if they were pre-gapped.

if not...
Old 01-01-2004, 05:25 AM

Default Re: (lazerus)

gapping for turbo vs. nonturbo is different so either way, you still have to gap it.
I think it is like
Top ring = .006 per inch
Sencond ring = .045 per inch
Old 01-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should have gapped them. Mine (JE) came with different gap sizes for different applications ie. n/a, turbo, etc... I think we gapped mine to the tightest stock specs. If u didn't gap them they will probably just be really tight.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pip9)

it is VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO GAP THEM if you dont gap the rings the can expand and damage the pistons and cylinders, high temperatures require a larger gap, especially forced induction, even though I know I gap mine to stock specs,
specs for all 1.5l and 1.6l engines

top 0.024,

second 0.028

oil 0.031
Old 01-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9psiTurboSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">About 8 months ago I install a set of JE pistons and eagle rods. When I put the rings on I didn't do any measuring or nothing at all... All I did was hone the block and replace the rod bearings! I was wonderin the set or rings that come with the JE pistons need to be filed to fit? Well anyway I got scared and I did a compression test and I was 180psi (+or- 5psi)! What I'm asking is when you guys install pistons what is the right way to do the install?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A compression test won't tell you if the rings are gapped too small. The only time you'll know if they are gapped too small is when the rings get really really hot, i.e. high rpm and high boost. If they get hot enough they will expand until the ring ends butt together, which will force them against the cylinder walls really hard, which creates more friction and heat, and it all goes downhill from there very quickly. They dig into the cylinder walls, SCREECH...CRAAACK...BANG...KAPOWIE...POOP!!! That last sound was your engine taking a dump. I'm not trying to scare you or anything because they *might* have come with enough gap to avoid this, but you'll never know unless you pull them out and check them "Yay" or you run it hot under boost and it poops on you "Boo". I know it sounds like a lot of work just to check them, but it is a whole lot cheaper than replacing pistons/rings/sleeves and maybe rods/crank/block/head too if a piston breaks up. Better safe than sorry. btw didn't the pistons/rings come with gapping instructions from JE?
Old 01-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: When installing forged pistons and rings quick question! (tjbizzo)

je rings came perfectly tight, not even the smalle guage fits them, and they recomend using manufacture specs, plus or minus depending on application, turbo/nos/NA. an head gasket is cheaper than your engine gap them before its too late.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tjbizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A compression test won't tell you if the rings are gapped too small. The only time you'll know if they are gapped too small is when the rings get really really hot, i.e. high rpm and high boost. If they get hot enough they will expand until the ring ends butt together, which will force them against the cylinder walls really hard, which creates more friction and heat, and it all goes downhill from there very quickly. They dig into the cylinder walls, SCREECH...CRAAACK...BANG...KAPOWIE...POOP!!! That last sound was your engine taking a dump. I'm not trying to scare you or anything because they *might* have come with enough gap to avoid this, but you'll never know unless you pull them out and check them "Yay" or you run it hot under boost and it poops on you "Boo". I know it sounds like a lot of work just to check them, but it is a whole lot cheaper than replacing pistons/rings/sleeves and maybe rods/crank/block/head too if a piston breaks up. Better safe than sorry. btw didn't the pistons/rings come with gapping instructions from JE? </TD></TR></TABLE>