Notices

When frustration sets in....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When frustration sets in....

I'm in need of some help fellas.. at this point I'm contemplating just ridding myself of the Turbo alltogether, seems like whenever one thing is done, something else has to go bad! Here's my situation.. When I first bought the turbo, the silicon/rubber connector for the turbo outlet to the intercooler piping was kinda torn, so I went to Home Depot and bought one of their rubber connectors since I had used them before in my intakes with no problem. After not even a week, the rubber connector tore itself right down the middle. Turns out the intercooler pipe itself managed to slide down away from the turbo housing outlet and left the soft rubber connector exposed, needless to say at 6psi, that connector wasn't gonna withstand all that pressure so it ripped right down the middle, ok no problem I though, I'll get another and make sure I clamp it down secure. I do so and a few days later while boosting on the way to a friend's house, "Phewwwwww", blew the damn connector right off the turbo housing.........again. After looking at it I noticed the top was really soft, I mean too soft and it looked sheared off or something. I don't know if it's the heat from the turbo softning it or the pressure is just too much, but I gave it one last try. Bought yet another damn connector, clamped the bitch on with 3 clamps, took it for a ride tonight on the highway... yep, "phewwwww", off with the connector. I haven't even looked at it yet but from jiggling the pipe I know it's hanging off. Now I'm pissed. I went to South Florida Performance since they're all about turbo's, and they don't have any connectors of that size (1 1/2") nor do they know who carried the type of connectors they use in that size. Does ANYBODY know where the hell I can get a good silicon/polyurethane whatever connector that will hold?! Quite frustrating! But that's not it! About 3 weeks ago on my way back from the track, the gasket sandwiched between the manifold and turbo inlet managed to lose a chunk of itself, leaving my car sounding like a tractor. I tried all my local turbo shops, nobody carries that gasket, Dynamic called their GReddy reps., GReddy doesn't carry individual peices like that! Instead they refered my to Mitsubishi or Nissan since they had cars that used that turbo (TD04H-15G). Mitsubishi has NO idea where the hell that turbo came from, the guys showed me all the gaskets for the Eclpises which are bigger, the only possibility may be the Starion which according to one of them uses a small turbo and the gasket is kinda squared like mine as opposed to the eclipses rounder gasket. As for Nissan, haven't been able to see them yet, I was told that the 1G Turbo 300's used a turbo similar to mine so *maybe* the gasket's will match, but I'm at a total loss. I tried making one from some super thin sheet metal (looked more like tin) matching the stock one, but only lasted an hour beofre it let go on me so I have a tractor again. Needless to say i'm super frustrated here and ANY help would be very apprieciated. Does anybody have ANY idea where on earth I can find this gasket for my turbo (TD04H) cause nobody else is helping! And if you read all this, thanks!
Old 09-01-2001, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: When frustration sets in.... (VTC_CiViC)

first off you can buy radiator hose from Napa for your hose couplers, they're lined with thread so they dont blow up like the soft rubber Home Depot ones. They're like $15 for a foot I think. As for your gasket I dont know what to tell you, that's what I like about my T3, I just go to Kragen and get a gasket for a thunderbird.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: When frustration sets in.... (TurboInteg95)

Well thanks for the coupling, I think I'll hit up NAPA for that 1.5" radiator hose, as for the gasket.. still waiting (and praying!) Anybody have any idea's since friggin' GReddy isn't a help!
Old 09-01-2001, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You remind me of me....I would have gotten out the blown torch by now and really made that hose connector rip off.....would have been r.i.p. Definately get that hose from napa. IT is a little pricey...but you only have to do it once now. Gaskets? Make your own if you cant find anything...a little cheezzzyy...but what can you do?

P
Old 09-02-2001, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually I think the way they measure the hose coupling is different you might end up asking for 2 inch. bring a coupler that you know fits on there so you can compare the size.