Notices

What would YOU get? Turbo kit on a budget :/

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would YOU get? Turbo kit on a budget :/

Hey all, I'm torn between turbo kits as many people have been as well. It's mainly a battle between the GReddy kit and a Swift-Performance kit. I dont have the money for either of them right now, but in a couple of months I should have enough. First I'll throw down the pros/cons

GReddy:
PROS:
-Brand Name Quality
-Pretty much Plug and play
-Comes with E-Manage
-Proven Durabilty and Reliability
-Easy to install

CONS:
-$2200 for the kit
-No intercooler
-2" DP
-Internal Wastegate
-Would have to buy from a distributor (probably city-speed) or else pay over 3 grand for JUST the kit.

Price:
Kit: $2200
Intercooler with piping: ~$400
BOV: $85
Fuel Pump: $100
Turbo Timer: $100

Basically around 3000 for everything.

Mainly - I want the GReddy kit because I heard it's easy to install, and it's just so reliable. I don't want to have to **** around with my car everyday because something goes wrong with the turbo. However, the high price is a major drawback for me.

Swift-Performance
PROS:
-Sick *** price... $2000 with an intercooler
-Quality style manifold
-Tial 38mm Wastegate
-Company owned by a member of Team-Integra.net (he's probably on here too)
-Comes with BOV

CONS:
-Not name brand
-Doesn't come with injectors
-Doesnt come with engine management
-Uknown install difficulty

Price:
Kit: $2000
Uberdata Engine management: ~$150
Larger Injectors: ~$50
Fuel Pump: ~$100
Turbo Timer: $100

All together about $2400.

I want the Swift Setup because it's significantly cheaper than GReddy... Also, it has a little more potential. My main concern is that it wont feel as comfortable as the GReddy, and the install won't go smoothly... Am I just pysching myself out?
It'd take me about another month to be able to pay the difference between the GReddy setup and the Swift setup.

What would you guys do if you were me (don't you wish )

Thanks ^^

PS This thread was mainly to draw everything else for myself - but I'd like some input from you guys..

PPS - My goal is to make 220 whp on a stock B18 block with 7-8 psi.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: What would YOU get? Turbo kit on a budget :/ (Pawwalski)

If youre on a budget, you might wanna consider getting a used kit from someone in the classifieds. Alot of people buy kits and then only end up running it for a couple of months. With used stuff, you have some room to negotiate a price. Also with the fuel setup running uberdata, youre gonna need a Wideband which is gonna cost you around $300, a burner for like $90, chipping supplies $25, DSM injectors and resistor box $100, and fuel pump for $100. I dont have experience with either kit so I cant really say anything about either.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: What would YOU get? Turbo kit on a budget :/ (Alchemist)

I would probably buy an already chipped ECU. I have a 96 LS (OBD-2) so that's another drawback for the swift. I'm not good enough at soldering to try to chp my own ECU (even if I had an OBD1).

Also, a used kit would be nice... but it's hard to find a used GReddy kit in good condition for a good price. Believe me, I've looked.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: What would YOU get? Turbo kit on a budget :/ (Pawwalski)

I say get a revhard kit...they are priced about the same as the GReddy and come with reliable parts. It should EASILY get you to your HP goal.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, I say go custom. I put together my full B16 kit intercooler and all for 1100 bucks...Ya I had to make my own IC piping with U bends but hey. I aint paying 400-500 bucks or more for a intercooler kit. I just took a 16G turbo that I welded up the internal wastegate and then got a Tial to take the place of it. Put a custom flange on the manifold and TADA. aint that hard at all.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: (quik sol)

In my opinion, if you want to save money then piece together a kit by yourself. Theres alot of extra stuff that you still need to buy in addition to the kit itself, (Fuel management, Gauges, boost controller, turbo timer, bigger exhaust). Take the time to read all the archived info you can and then start buying parts. If youre worried about installing, then Im not sure that a turbo kit is for you. Its good to piece together a kit slowely because as you buy parts you learn what you need, what each piece does, and what will fit with what. When you go turbo youre most likely gonna have problems come up that youre gonna need to fix, so its good to get some knowledge before you install everything. A good book that you might wanna check out is Corky Bells "Max Boost".
Old 06-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Alchemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A good book that you might wanna check out is Corky Bells "Max Boost".</TD></TR></TABLE>

EXCELLENT BOOK. My copy is arriving tomarrow at the book store. I read through a few pages at my friends house and had to buy it.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: (quik sol)

yeah agreed that putting a kit together yourself is heaps better, you will get better stuff and also you get to customise.... for example i managed to find an evo 6.5 intercooler for only 350... bout 100 us... .. just look around and know what you want!!
Old 06-11-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (boostdc)

Definately go custom with it...I'm in my whole setup less than $1900 with a AEM Wideband, Greddy Boost Gauge, used turbo, SS autocrap mani , Greddy type S BOV, used 20x8 cooler, DSM 450's and Uberdata (with rom burner and OBD0-OBDI conversion).