Notices

what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 07:15 PM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what would you do?

ok well heres my dilemma. my turbo B16 seems like its on its way out. compression numbers are still good, but not the best, and its starting to smoke. heres my dilemma. im real short on cash right now. i would love to be able to buy some forged pistons/rods for the b16 but i really dont have the money. my local junkyard has FIVE LS motors.

now, should i keep the B16 and try to find some new oem pistons and a fresh set of rings and bearings for it or SELL the B16 head and spend the money that i get from it to buy an LS longblock and re-ring it and throw in some new oem bearings and a fresh hone? basically a new motor in exchange for my B16 head. my HP goals for this car are in the 260-290 range and i think that very possible with 15 lbs on a 48/60 T3 and a straight LS.

give me your opinions on what YOU would do. heres the budget. if i keep the B16 i have maybe $200 to spend to fix it. if i go straight LS i will have at least $400 to put into the motor after i get it from the junkyard.

what would you do?
Old 04-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how bad are the compression numbers? you running a catch can? no reason the b16 doesnt have a lot of boosted miles left on it. My compression numbers have been low for 6 months and I still drive my car every day. Make the B16 last as long as it's able. When it finally goes you can still sell the head and get an LS. BTW, where is this junkyard in NY with all the motors I might have to stop by.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:03 PM
wrenchin'

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

the ONLY motor that are worthwhile are LS motors. thats it. and all but ONE have 175k+ on them. thats why id want to do a rebuild before it went in the car.

my compression numbers are 185-190-195-185, which is low for a B16.

yes im running a catchcan. slashcut to the intake side of turbo, gutted PCV valve going right to catchcan (works REALLY well).

im gonna find someone withh a leakdown tester
Old 04-17-2006, 07:17 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: what would you do? (I Have an STD)

up
Old 04-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (I Have an STD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Have an STD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ONLY motor that are worthwhile are LS motors. thats it. and all but ONE have 175k+ on them. thats why id want to do a rebuild before it went in the car.

my compression numbers are 185-190-195-185, which is low for a B16.

yes im running a catchcan. slashcut to the intake side of turbo, gutted PCV valve going right to catchcan (works REALLY well).

im gonna find someone withh a leakdown tester</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf, those numbers arent bad at all. Boost this for awhile and save at the same time.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:59 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: (SpeedingHatch)

i know that, and if they were just that low and the motor ran really well i wouldnt care, but its starting to smoke and im getting worried about it.

anyone wanna buy my minty b16 head??
Old 04-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like pepperminty?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: what would you do? (Topdawgg)

spearminty
Old 04-17-2006, 10:15 AM
wrenchin'

Old 04-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (I Have an STD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Have an STD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but its starting to smoke and im getting worried about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is your oil retun line good? Valve seals?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im sure the smoking is something dumb and easily fixable if ur compressions showing up that high
Old 04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what would you do? (nickromeo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickromeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im sure the smoking is something dumb and easily fixable if ur compressions showing up that high</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, that's not really accurate from what I understand, actually a leakdown would be a better telltale of what is really going on if your engine is smoking and the static comp #'s are good. If you suspect the motor, u know the turbo seals r good, and your static comp is good then the next step is a leakdown. The static comp could be fine, but the leakdown will show if you have a slow leak. GL.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:52 PM
wrenchin'

Default Re: what would you do? (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, that's not really accurate from what I understand, actually a leakdown would be a better telltale of what is really going on if your engine is smoking and the static comp #'s are good. If you suspect the motor, u know the turbo seals r good, and your static comp is good then the next step is a leakdown. The static comp could be fine, but the leakdown will show if you have a slow leak. GL.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks keyser, actually everything u just said, i know, but its nice to see that someone is thinking on the same level as i am. leakdown is my next test i need to perform. i dont have a tester, so i need to find a friend that has one. i just took the car out with my backup turbo on it and turned the boost up to 10 psi and the car ******* hauled *** and im still pulling ~21inches at idle.

oh, and i know the turbo seals were bad on my 48/60, which is why im running my backup turbo right now. its smokes a little bit, and that might be the only reason why the car smokes, the seals in the backup turbo might not be in the BEST shape, but they were def better off than the ones in my 48/60.

and yes, my return line is PERFECT. there is no way oil could back up in it.

im kinda waiting on my rebuilt kit to get here to make a real informed decision on whether its the turbo or the motor that smokes. im hoping my rebuild kit solves all my smoking problems, but im not counting on it
Old 04-22-2006, 07:28 PM
wrenchin'

well the b16 sounds like a wrx as of tonight, time to pull her out