Notices

What to tune with..Pros vs. Cons Hondata, Neptune, Chrome pro etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to tune with..Pros vs. Cons Hondata, Neptune, Chrome pro etc

I'm about to go to the dyno and i gotta make up my mind if i'm going to run Hondata, or one of the others. If money isn't a big issue (which it isn't) is hondata really worth doing over the other options?

Btw Happy Halloween
Here's my pumpkin
Old 10-29-2006, 05:32 PM

Default Re: What to tune with..Pros vs. Cons Hondata, Neptune, Chrome pro etc (CarnEvil)

Awsome pumpkin. I just finished carving with my kids

I like Hondata S300, u can readjust yourself with a laptop. I had Crome, it was a great tune, but reburning chips is not for me. I have no experience with Neptune..

Goodluck...
Old 10-29-2006, 06:48 PM

Yeah that is what i'm thinking of going with, i'm far away from where i'm getting it tuned and would like to be able to make minor mods myself if need be

However i think i may need a usdm ecu to run the s300 cuz i think i read it wont fit in a jdm ecu
Old 10-29-2006, 06:53 PM

Default Re: (CarnEvil)

Can you tune Hondata on your own or do yo need to go to a shop that has a license from Hondata/buy software to tune it?
Old 10-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you tune Hondata on your own or do yo need to go to a shop that has a license from Hondata/buy software to tune it?</TD></TR></TABLE> Nope the S300 comes with the software or you can Dl it for free from hondata.com The S300 gets from me
Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Re: (OBRJosh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OBRJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Nope the S300 comes with the software or you can Dl it for free from hondata.com The S300 gets from me</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you sir.

I might make the switch to Hondata this next summer then.

I was talking to the local tuner & he was telling me that the main difference between the S200 & S300 was that the S300 came with a lot of extra bells & whistels that most people don't need.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Everyones Hero)

The main differnce is the s300 is realtime update, Usb right to the laptop , Also now you can use the Jdm or usdm ecus
Old 10-29-2006, 09:36 PM

Default Re: (OBRJosh)

Crome can do realtime tuning also with one of these:
http://www.moates.net/product_...id=57

Using Crome and an Ostrich will save you more than $250 over Hondata, but I would definitely consider the s300 to be the best in terms of features.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Mr Wonderfull)

If you can deal with crappy updates that do not repair the correct issues, the inability to use aftermarket ignitions, itermittent issues with using large injectors and other issues ....... Hondata in the choice for you.

Yes, I am a disgruntled Hondata user
Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you can deal with crappy updates that do not repair the correct issues, the inability to use aftermarket ignitions, itermittent issues with using large injectors and other issues ....... Hondata in the choice for you.

Yes, I am a disgruntled Hondata user </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you using the S300?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (g2turbo)

Not that it matters but I do have S300
Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tuned all 3. For 90% of the people out there, you can tune cars great with all 3.

Feature wise, the S300 PWM boost option is unique at this time. I wouldn't be surprised if both Crome and Neptune have a comparable, if not superior, feature by the end of the calendar year.

Neptune currently gives the tuner considerably more control over ignition timing than any other option. This will be welcome for those who are used to tuning AEMs or other standalones without a lot of ignition corrections.

Crome unquestionably has the lowest cost of entry, even with the hardware needed to make changes on the fly as opposed to having to burn chips.

I personally feel that Crome's MAP-TPS blending and Neptune's MAP-TPS map switching both provide a superior solution for driveability than pure-TPS maps of S300, but that probably isn't much of a concern for the boosted crowd. Only Neptune's implementation allows for tuning boost on top of ITBs effectively using the stock ECU.

Crome also has full injector battery compensation control, which can make tuning large injectors much more trivial. In addition to a more stable idle, there are additional advantages in the form of substantially less work getting fueling appropriate across different pressures.

None are a bad choice - your best choice would be whatever your tuner is most familiar with unless you plan on tuning it yourself.

Modified by blundar at 10:44 AM 10/30/2006
Old 10-30-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: What to tune with..Pros vs. Cons Hondata, Neptune, Chrome pro etc (CarnEvil)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by borat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Crome can do realtime tuning also with one of these:
http://www.moates.net/product_...id=57

Using Crome and an Ostrich will save you more than $250 over Hondata, but I would definitely consider the s300 to be the best in terms of features. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Crome is great for the price that you pay.

Btw, if I go to your house for Halloween night, you better be ready to start handing out turbos, cams, etc instead of candy...
Old 10-30-2006, 03:38 PM

hahahahahaha Niceeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 10-30-2006, 07:55 PM

Holy smokes! you guys are super helpful. My motor goes in this week and just gotta finnish making the piping and whatnot I'll keep you posted on how it goes and get pix up asap.
I will be tuning at evans tuning in PA which should be a good drive since i live in northern ontario But he does good work. Wish me luck

And Spread my pumpkin pic around it's cool lol
Old 10-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, nice pumpkin.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:51 AM

Default Re: What to tune with..Pros vs. Cons Hondata, Neptune, Chrome pro etc (mar778c)

Not to add another to the category but how does the AEM EMS compare to Hondata, Crome and Neptune? Ive been offered a hell of a deal for an AEM EMS. I would still be paying about $150 bucks more than if i went with an S300 but doesnt the AEM come fully loaded with all the features available with the other 3?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive ran TE, Uber, and Crome...

gotta say, Crome blows me away. although i dont have a lot of experiece with high hp setups, i feel that Crome is a great program for anyone trying to do their own tuning. its cheap(compared to Hondata, Nep, etc) and easy to use. i give it a big
Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you need a boost control to change boost levels when using crome or can crome do it
Old 10-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92redhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92redhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you need a boost control to change boost levels when using crome or can crome do it</TD></TR></TABLE>you need a boost controller no matter what EMS you are using...
Old 10-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanx.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:05 AM

in my experience hondata has the worst customer suppoert i've ever encountered in a business. Their software is plagued with bugs and gremlins that they would rather blame on 'wiring' than look at their fudged *** code and fix.

CROME is nice, the price is perfect for what you get and the support is pretty incredible.

NepTune i have no experience with but everyone i've talked to that has had it has said it's pretty damned good.

HOWEVER! if money is not an issue why would you go with a chipped ecu? why not go full stand-alone? AEM EMS is what i would have if money was not an issue. if i could go back and do it all again i would have an aem unit in my car and it would probably run 1000x better than it ever did with the hondata.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:30 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (CarnEvil)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CarnEvil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Holy smokes! you guys are super helpful. My motor goes in this week and just gotta finnish making the piping and whatnot I'll keep you posted on how it goes and get pix up asap.
I will be tuning at evans tuning in PA which should be a good drive since i live in northern ontario But he does good work. Wish me luck

And Spread my pumpkin pic around it's cool lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're getting tuned by Evans Tuning, Jeff won't even bother wasting his time with Crome or Hondata. I believe he charges a flat rate for Neptune and tuning.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cua0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in my experience hondata has the worst customer suppoert i've ever encountered in a business. Their software is plagued with bugs and gremlins that they would rather blame on 'wiring' than look at their fudged *** code and fix.

HOWEVER! if money is not an issue why would you go with a chipped ecu? why not go full stand-alone? AEM EMS is what i would have if money was not an issue. if i could go back and do it all again i would have an aem unit in my car and it would probably run 1000x better than it ever did with the hondata.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha thats kind of funny, seeing as from my experience Hondata's support is far better than AEM's support. Good luck ever getting someone on the phone from AEM, let alone someone who actually works there to answer a question on their forum. If you're going to a true standalone, and have a setup that actually demands it, then there are far better options out there than the AEM.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daveG)

I have Hondata S300 (bought it brand new) and it has some sort of severe error on it that the shops can't figure out. I never even got to have my car tuned with it. It was pinned by Casey at Modacar, and he has done a ton of them.

So while waiting on the dyno, I had them put Crome on the ecu instead and of course it worked flawlessly and has been ever since.

My vote goes to Crome, just because I am butt-hurt at Hondata still.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres a guy here in miami named jared at jdm motorsports and hes awesome tuning on hondata. try him out maybe he could help you with your hondata error. 305-805-race

Quick Reply: What to tune with..Pros vs. Cons Hondata, Neptune, Chrome pro etc