Notices

what specs to cut the piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what specs to cut the piston rings

what will be a good clearance for a streetable 500-550hp range turbo car. thanks
Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what specs to cut the piston rings

Originally Posted by eg:R
what will be a good clearance for a streetable 500-550hp range turbo car. thanks
That depends on the piston manufacturer use high silicon, or low silicon aluminum, cast or forged and bore size..

Follow your MF spec.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

jeez idk

bore size (in inches) x .0065 for the top ring

bore size (in inches) x .007 for the second ring.

thats your answer in inches.

honestly if you arent sure there has to be someone to bring it to that does know, this isnt something you want to go messing around with
Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The piston I'm getting is 84mm arias 9:1 piston
Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The piston I'm getting is 84mm arias 9:1 piston
u need to convert 84mm into inches then times that number by the numbers given to u from above post to get ur desire ring gap.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I thought there was a different in gapping for a certain power range
Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are different ways to gap your rings but you need to be in the ballpark. I believe you should measure when you decided to do this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piston_ring

http://www.circletrack.com/howto/1818/index.html

Just a couple of decent reads. As for "gapping for power range goes" I think that you just had bearing sizes more in your mind.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember reading to gap the rings a bit loose for higher hp cars.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the number you multiply the bore size by increases with power/intended motor use.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Mr. Badwrench

arias has to have a tech department, most of these guys are willing to give you the info you need.

i wasnt happy with the gap specs given to me from the boards, so i called cp. they were very helpful, asked about power and boost, and geve me the number i needed.

give them a call. this is something you want right. not to mess with.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is true. More power = more heat = more gap. Please listen as I have arias pistons, 83mm 9.4:1 and went to hell and back with Arias. For 500whp they told me 26 on top and 22 on bottom. Arias told me gap the top one more because it sees more heat. Not sure but either way I did this and I think they're a bit too loose. If I could go back I would have not gone over 23. Also, fyi arias "Tech Line" sucks. Call and ask for Elmer. Nancy doesn't know what she's talking about. Beeri told me 26 and 22 and I think they're too loose.

I say I went to hell and back because those mother f**kers sent me the wrong rings with my pistons. Hopefully you got the right ones! They re sent me rings for free and again they were wrong! Elmer was the only one that knew which rings were right. I rebuilt my motor 3 times, fluids, headgaskets, etc all because they're retarded.

Last edited by E85B18; 08-18-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What ring size gappin would u perfer? 26 n 22 is loose... My previous gap was 22 n 18
Old 08-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my motor is gapped to about 22 top and 26 2nd ring (its not too loose for the power level you are anticipating) 84mm benson sleeves with cp pistons. honestly, call the piston/ring manufacturer and go with what they recommend. after all that is what they do for a living
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which is better... Top ring bigger gap or second ring??
Old 08-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 84mm Arias too and I am getting ready to gap the rings once I get rods, please share with us what you find out when you call them...
Old 08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For your power Arias is going to tell you what they told me. This was my conversation with the manager Beeri Meza:

"Hello,

I just bought new pistons for my 83mm Honda B18C1. I am going to run about 25 psi (about 515 whp on my set up). What ring gaps do you recommend for a build with at least 475whp? Also, how can I tell which ring is the top one?

Thank you!!!"

His response:

"top ring .022" minimum,
2nd ring .020" to .028"
oil ring rails .020" minimum, can have as much as .050"

keep in mind that having a little extra gap will not hurt you, while not having enough will surely do.

the top ring is the one with the silver face, or silver all over... 2nd ring is dark, dullish grey

hope this helps

Beeri Meza
"

Being this was my first build I then asked, "With the power level Im going to have, where do you recommend I have the oil ring rails? .020 and .050 are quite a bit different!"

He responded, "Oil rails don't matter as much as the top ring, even the 2nd ring has a pretty wide margin. the main dimension is the top, 2nd and oil rings, as long as you are in that range, you will be fine."

My oil rails came in right about .020, a little closer to .018-.019. Based on him saying, "keep in mind that having a little extra gap will not hurt you, while not having enough will surely do." I gapped my oill rings to .035 WHICH YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO! DO NOT TOUCH THEM! Not only did Arias send me the wrong rings twice the guy told me to gap my oil ring rails. After doing so your car will smoke like a freight train!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about oem gsr pistons...
Old 10-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bLu92bUbbLe
what about oem gsr pistons...
OEM rings are NOT file fit rings. Measure the gap and compare to spec in helm. If out of spec then you need to look further as to why.. usually its an indication the cylinder is worn.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a similar situation to you guys.
Golden Eagle sleeves at 84mm, Arias pistons and rings came with the package from G.E.
Since I have been in and out of the country over the last few years, It took a long time to finally get my project car done.

So I am a few thousand miles into break-in. The engine is eating oil pretty regularly (about a quart each thousand miles). No smoke, but I can smell it during start-up. Either the rings did not seat/seal properly or the gap was excessive. Either way I think that I'll need to have the bores honed, and put new rings in. unless burning 4 quarts during the first 4 thousand miles is normal for break-in.

So I am back to the question- OEM 84mm honda rings (pre gapped to honda specs) or aftermarket file-to fit rings from ARIAS? What determines the end gap needed- is it the piston material, or is it the ring material?

Posted below on Team-Integra during the build:

Originally posted by Jacksont001 on Aug/12/06
I need some input.

I've already started gapping my rings and I have a nagging thought in my head.
The numbers I was given from the piston manufacturer has the bottom rings gapped tighter than the top rings.

What I am running
84mm Arias pistons (3.307 inches)

With the ring set that came with the pistons they said to gap the top 18-20 thou (.018" to .020")
and the bottom 16-18 thou (.016" to .018")

I'm not sure if the bottoms should have the larger gap, or not.

OR should I just go use CRV rings at 84mm?

Originally posted by Jacksont001 on Feb/04/06
I have a confession to make though, and the Wieseco ring gap thread is what made me realize I had made a mistake.

I used the wrong specs for the ring gap, and the ones that came with the pistons were File-to-fit. Well they did meet honda ring specs.... So I installed them.

Well luckilly I didn't do anything other than install them, so I will be pulling them out and filing them down.

I bought a manual ring filer (the disk grinder) from summit for $50 and will be doing that when time permits.

Specs from Arias after I called them
for the 84mm pistons 3330510 with ring p/n 1212403307
18-20 thousandths top ring
16-18 thousandths bottom ring
Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First let me start by saying I have searched and read dozens of threads here and on other sites for the past few days before posting.
If you can help, I am Looking for a little advise. After melting a piston several years ago from what I believe to be a bad tune, I am finally getting around to rebuilding my engine. I ordered new pistons/rings etc. The block was machined and honed to the pistons. The problem I have is after reading countless threads and talking to JE I am torn on the #2 piston ring end gap. When I received the rings, 2 of them were substantially larger than the other two. Resulting in an end gap of .028 in 2 cylinders for the 2nd ring. The other two are sitting at .021 and .022
I talked to 2 different people at JE and they keep telling me the #2 piston ring gap makes no difference as long as the end gap is large enough to avoid butting. They told me that they do not manufacture them and the manufacturer has a tolerance of .010 I believe is the number they threw out.

If this were the case, why in both their literature and what I see online do most people suggest a clearance of .022 for the second ring.
I would really appreciate any advise.
The engine is tuned to 20psi and was making about 400whp on pump gas. Its bored 81.50 and honed just a tad looser.
I have searched countless threads with nothing that was a concrete explanation for this. I hate to rebuild just to destroy another engine over something so trivial.

Thanks for any help you may have!

Last edited by Si Integra; 01-19-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Si Integra
First let me start by saying I have searched and read dozens of threads here and on other sites for the past few days before posting.
If you can help, I am Looking for a little advise. After melting a piston several years ago from what I believe to be a bad tune, I am finally getting around to rebuilding my engine. I ordered new pistons/rings etc. The block was machined and honed to the pistons. The problem I have is after reading countless threads and talking to JE I am torn on the #2 piston ring end gap. When I received the rings, 2 of them were substantially larger than the other two. Resulting in an end gap of .028 in 2 cylinders for the 2nd ring. The other two are sitting at .021 and .022
I talked to 2 different people at JE and they keep telling me the #2 piston ring gap makes no difference as long as the end gap is large enough to avoid butting. They told me that they do not manufacture them and the manufacturer has a tolerance of .010 I believe is the number they through out.

If this were the case, why in both their literature and what I see online do most people suggest a clearance of .022 for the second ring.
I would really appreciate any advise.
The engine is tuned to 20psi and was making about 400whp on pump gas. Its bored 81.50 and honed just a tad looser.
I have searched countless threads with nothing that was a concrete explanation for this. I hate to rebuild just to destroy another engine over something so trivial.

Thanks for any help you may have!
I think you have nothing to worry about. JE is correct and you should be fine.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What placement are you guys using for staggering your ring gaps?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the OEM staggering pattern for my rings in my last build. I assumed that was the only way to stagger them?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump this i need help also
Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just gapped my rings last night-84mm cp with their rings. The pistons come with a brochure telling gapping specs for different set-ups- to be found here:

http://www.cp-carrillo.com/LinkClick...Ls%3d&tabid=74

As far as clocking: found this outta the helms manual:

http://www.daijekbok.com/pics/rings.gif

Last edited by sjp00422; 01-30-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Quick Reply: what specs to cut the piston rings