Notices

What manifolds allow full radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default What manifolds allow full radiators?

Just curious what manifolds on the market will allow the use of a full size radiator
Old 03-07-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: What manifolds allow full radiators?

Depends upon what you mean by full sized radiators.. Some can show oem radiators with slim fans on the opposite side, while Dunne can hold a VW sciracco (sp?) Radiators.

Most others only like we've discussed before: log and tubular log manifolds
Old 03-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was all set for a half size until I started reading stories of overheating on the Integras due to no large opening for air like the Civics. Those with half size radiators are having to run fans even while on the highway.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm curious how much a turbo blanket would help and I'm surprised at the lack of them used from what I see.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I was all set for a half size until I started reading stories of overheating on the Integras due to no large opening for air like the Civics. Those with half size radiators are having to run fans even while on the highway.
That's because they're using cheap low flowing eBay radiators, s n all fans, and never addressed simple issues like air pockets in their coolant systems.

It's not the size radiator or even where it is located. (If that were the case, even the stock civic radiators wouldn't work on a stock car..) like an intercooler, it's the type and brand radiators you get, not to mention they proper cfm fans to go with it.

Fans chime on briefly on highway driving no matter what, but especially after some good accelerated runs.That's perfectly normal.. That's why thermostats are there; to regulate when coolant needs to be exchanged in the system..
Stick to Koyo,Fluidyne, Skunk, and even Mitshimotos (to a lesser degree IMHO), with good fluid and the prior fans and you're more than fine
Old 03-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
That's because they're using cheap low flowing eBay radiators, s n all fans, and never addressed simple issues like air pockets in their coolant systems.

It's not the size radiator or even where it is located. (If that were the case, even the stock civic radiators wouldn't work on a stock car..) like an intercooler, it's the type and brand radiators you get, not to mention they proper cfm fans to go with it.

Fans chime on briefly on highway driving no matter what, but especially after some good accelerated runs.That's perfectly normal.. That's why thermostats are there; to regulate when coolant needs to be exchanged in the system..
Stick to Koyo,Fluidyne, Skunk, and even Mitshimotos (to a lesser degree IMHO), with good fluid and the prior fans and you're more than fine
LightningTeg is having problems now as well and I'd like to think he knows what he's doing. lol

He has a stock 2 core B series half radiator I think

If I could run a half I would rather do that for simplicity but I want to be able to open road course this car possibly sometimes and I'd like to not have to worry about things getting too roasty.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:05 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Custom sidewinder is what you want. Something like Muckman's would do just fine.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:20 PM

LightningTeg is having problems now as well and I'd like to think he knows what he's doing. lol

He has a stock 2 core B series half radiator I think

If I could run a half I would rather do that for simplicity but I want to be able to open road course this car possibly sometimes and I'd like to not have to worry about things getting too roasty.
I'm open road course 3 years on VIR, Gingerman, and Mid-Ohio. Half sized, Koyo Rad with SPAL 13" 1800cfm w/ bracketed shroud, using straight distilled water for the course. Switch out to 70% Toyota coolant, 20% Distilled water, 10% Royal Purple Ice.

On average about 194*F for street, about 200*F-204*F after 20 minute Session Time Attack, but goes back down to 191*F at the cool down session.

I'm only looking at a possible full size because my attack sessions will be getting to about 40 minutes after some time. But right now, never a problem.

For a street car. that combination will do more than enough. Even some Full sized radiators won't get as cold as my Koyo.

Lighteningteg is changing setups completely, so he's not having that much of a problem.

I'm sure you're not worried about getting some sidwinder manifold for the purpose you've discussed. that's just above and beyond what you'd ever need.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't believe a custom sidewinder is what I want.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I'm open road course 3 years on VIR, Gingerman, and Mid-Ohio. Half sized, Koyo Rad with SPAL 13" 1800cfm w/ bracketed shroud, using straight distilled water for the course. Switch out to 70% Toyota coolant, 20% Distilled water, 10% Royal Purple Ice.

On average about 194*F for street, about 200*F-204*F after 20 minute Session Time Attack, but goes back down to 191*F at the cool down session.

I'm only looking at a possible full size because my attack sessions will be getting to about 40 minutes after some time. But right now, never a problem.

For a street car. that combination will do more than enough. Even some Full sized radiators won't get as cold as my Koyo.
Sounds good! Why do you run Toyota coolant?

I believe I will copy your setup. Do you run a JDM front or USDM? I believe I remember your car has JDM, if so I would imagine that would effect airflow.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:30 PM

The Toyota stuff actually ran slightly cooler than even the Honda OEM, (by a degree or two.

As for USDM vs. JDM. It wouldn't have really mattered due to my intercooler size

Old 03-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You got that nice opening between the headlights. That helps out more than you think IMO.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just running that crappy yellow jug of 50/50 Prestone or whatever it is called.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:35 PM

You got that nice opening between the headlights. That helps out more than you think IMO.
Like I said.. I ran with both front ends, and I have a real-time water-temp DEFI gauge it in the car that records the runs.. It wasn't significant at all. THE RADIATOR itself determined more than that source of that little inlet.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have a pic of your shroud? I'm assuming you have it setup as a puller.

What about Go-Autoworks radiator/shroud/fan?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:42 PM

Have a pic of your shroud? I'm assuming you have it setup as a puller.

What about Go-Autoworks radiator/shroud/fan?
No. Unfortunately, I don't. But no, it was not "cake pan" style as that is advertising. I used the fan shield itself to surround the edges of the radiator, and attached it with custom brackets. It covers the main surface area of the radiator, without the need of a rattling "cake pan" style shroud.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What ems are you running op?

Can you see ect voltage based on coolant temps?

I found my voltages to be way off in my ems and adjusted based off when the thermostat opened and closed and haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I only really starting having issues when I put that big ol intercooler on. Car has a triple core Mishimoto X line "half size", downpipe and manifold are wrapped, turbo has blanket, and it runs straight water with water wetter in the summer with a SPAL 13". Fan will kick on and off every 5 minutes on the highway from about 50 deg ambient temp and up. If its 90+ out it will hang around 200 after pulls and I have to let it cool. Fan kicks on at 196.

When I had a stock setup with a/c and everything still, my full size never really had an issue. Theres still room for improvment, but it will require some custom fab work. I tryed to make a "cake pan" style shroud and not sure if it made a difference or not. Its just some sheet metal I had made at my old job (sheet metal shop).

Id like to try a scirocco rad to move it away from the manifold some more. And next year I wont need such a large intercooler and will upgrade to a more efficient core.

Last edited by LightningTeg; 03-10-2015 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be a dumb idea but Lightning have you tried an air deflector at the bottom of your radiator? I know I have heard in some make and models it makes a difference. Just food for thought.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
What ems are you running op?

Can you see ect voltage based on coolant temps?

I found my voltages to be way off in my ems and adjusted based off when the thermostat opened and closed and haven't had a problem since.
I'm not yet a turbo member yet, just a little peon with a dream at this point.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be a dumb idea but Lightning have you tried an air deflector at the bottom of your radiator? I know I have heard in some make and models it makes a difference. Just food for thought.
Can you show me pictures of what you mean?

My solution was to put a heat extractor on the hood
Old 03-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I run a Koyo Radiator, Maradyne 12 inch 1650 CFM fan with a mishimoto fan shroud in Arizona and never go over 201. Typically my car will get to 198 or 199 and when my fan kicks on will get down to 193-192 quick. I used distilled water and water wetter.

those three items you should never have issues overheating unless you have a problem with an air pocket or a head gasket issue. You should also heat coat your downpipe, dump tube, manifold and housing to help reduce heat. They also have clamp on heat shields for downpipes as well for extra protection which is what I used. see below.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/th...Fc1lfgodyAIAJQ
Old 03-10-2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Can you show me pictures of what you mean?

My solution was to put a heat extractor on the hood
I think he means more like a deflector on the bottom. (A lot of T/A and Cameros from 2001 had this as part of the factory system. They were needed so badly, that if you removed them, the car would immediately start to overheat a bit, especially since the room between the intercoooler and radiator weren't at an optimal distance).

Lighteningteg's issue was one of using a really dense core (Garrett's are like that) with a stock radiator, and that can cause an overheat issue, not because of the size of the actual surface area of the radiator. The stock radiator (or sub-par aftermarket designs) can get sensitive to the efficiency of the intercooler core, especially if its a BIG one. I actually changed from my C&R radiator to the Koyo because of this issue, as I changed from a GReddy Tube and fin Type 24, to a Garrett 24 X 12 X 3.5".. Once I did that, all was well with the world.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats funny is I originally bought a "triple core" half size from Ebay and it was nothing but overheating problems. So there definitely is a difference! I think I may go for a Koyo since it seems to be the standard for high performance.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad I made this thread. Koyo half size for me! With Toyota coolant and some water wetter lol

Quick Reply: What manifolds allow full radiators?