Notices

what makes turbo hondas w/3 inch exhausts so loud? lets talk mufflers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what makes turbo hondas w/3 inch exhausts so loud? lets talk mufflers.

i come from the subaru world and over there a 3 inch exhaust its very readily available. not only that but you can get them in a wide verity of shapes and sound levels. COBB made an exhaust that was 3 inches strait through and it didnt make much more noise than stock. it had a standard muffler that was pretty small in comparison to something like the greddy sp2 (which is also very quiet and what i have on my subie).

for hondas the only choice it seems for a 3 inch is a thermal. the thermal has a standard style muffler similar to the COBB but it is super loud in comparison to a wrx with a cobb or greddy sp2 or even evo2 exhaust system at 3 inches. Why is this the case?

i am currently running a e-cutout on the 2.5 inch downpipe to a stock cat and catback. im sick of having to wait for the dam thing to open and close with i do or dont want it to be open.

that leads to my next question. i found a 3 inch three chamber muffler online that looks pretty stock so it wont attract attention by the police just looking at it. (modified exhaust is illegal) and its advertised as being for up to 600 whp and mostly used as a muffler replacement for old firebirds and other small block and block motors from 350 to 455 ci. it measures slightly smaller than the stock gsr muffler in its larger configuration. sound levels are about 77 to 90 dBa on a gto from idle to open throttle in its smaller configuration (7x10 inch case is the larger configuration and 5x10. the case is oval and width is measured at the center.)

will a muffler like this be able to subdue the noise that hondas make while sill giving improved flow or am i SOL when it comes to having a tame car with power.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: what makes turbo hondas w/3 inch exhausts so loud? lets talk mufflers.

it can be done, I have had a few freinds with full 3" exhausts that were actually pretty quiet. I beleive the trick to it is having a large 3" straight through resonater to help tone down the droning. having a series of mufflers will def help drop d.b.'s for you.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: what makes turbo hondas w/3 inch exhausts so loud? lets talk mufflers.

How many 3" exhaust threads are necessary? jesus
Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

however many it takes to get an answer other than

buy a thermal they're quiet
Old 01-20-2010, 07:01 PM

get a buddy club spec 2 if you want loud not to sure if you could run a turbo set up with that echaust though it might not be big enough..
Old 01-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I built an exhaust with a 3" pipe kit from kteller.com, an enormous resonator (18-24 inch), and a Vibrant flat black muffer. Muffler and resonator were both straight through. Looked factory enough, and very very quiet. I remember it being quieter turbo with that exhaust than the factory CTR exhaust on the car now with no turbo (at highway speeds, cruising).
Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you looked in to the greddy exhausts sys some of them are made to look oem and are very quite/ not the cheap canister 1's. they have shown awsome hp increases the piping isint 3 inches but you can just buy the muffler.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the quietest muffler out thier cuz I cant stand the noise anymore. I have looking for a stock sounding muffler.......
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shwanC
I built an exhaust with a 3" pipe kit from kteller.com, an enormous resonator (18-24 inch), and a Vibrant flat black muffer. Muffler and resonator were both straight through. Looked factory enough, and very very quiet. I remember it being quieter turbo with that exhaust than the factory CTR exhaust on the car now with no turbo (at highway speeds, cruising).
I agree with this. My boy has this on his 600whp civic and that bish is pretty quiet considering all. I cannot tell you what db it registers under but again it's your best bang for the buck setup and is pretty quiet.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree. I had a skunk2 full 3 inch mega power exhaust and it was stupid loud i didnt even like driving my car it was so loud. I just changed out the muffler to a flat black vibrant 3 inch muffler and it still has a nice tone but its really quiet can barely hear it and im still running the rest of the skunk2 piping. In my opinion vibrant is the way to go looks stock so no unwanted attention and its really quiet even at full boost.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have mandrel bent 3" piping, a 35" long Cherrybomb glasspack for a resonator, and a Dynomax Ultraflo oval muffler and I have to say it is the most quiet sounding 3" exhaust I have heard. No rasp and it has a really deep tone. And all for under $250!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BigZeke5
What is the quietest muffler out thier cuz I cant stand the noise anymore. I have looking for a stock sounding muffler.......
Typically Magnaflows with a resonator work just fine.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have found that the Dynomax Ultraflo is a very similar muffler to a Magnaflow but cheaper.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a full 3 inch exhaust on my teg, 1 magnaflow resonator, 1 vibrant resonator, and 1 oval magnaflow muffler,

and it was still loud as ****,

On my next setup I am going to try and fit 4 or 5 resonators under there, and also dynamat the entire car,

I cant handle loud exhausts.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Typically Magnaflows with a resonator work just fine.
What kind of magnaflow? They have so much stuff, its hard to pick... Thanks for the response......

Originally Posted by LS AzZkIkr
I have mandrel bent 3" piping, a 35" long Cherrybomb glasspack for a resonator, and a Dynomax Ultraflo oval muffler and I have to say it is the most quiet sounding 3" exhaust I have heard. No rasp and it has a really deep tone. And all for under $250!
This does sound interesting......
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The magnaflow mufflers you want to look for are normally going to be:
<li> Stainless Steel
<li> 5x8 oval body
<li> tip or no tip added

the resonators will run 14-18-22" long in length depending on the brand and type you get.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

KTELLER piping kit with a magnaflow oval muffler in rear and a magnaflow round muffler (not resonator but muffler) in the midpipe is about as quiet as your going to get.

Ive tried MANY different options and this is the quietest i could build.

Thermal is not quietest. Its much better than alot out there but it still has a loud annoying deep tone to it.

with my setup it will be just a tad louder than a stock neon srt4 weather your half throttle of wot and light throttle like on highway is very tolerable. just be sure to make your tip go past where the bumper starts otherwise you get alot of resonating sound in the cabin.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would bet the turbo selection has some to do with how loud the car is also. With a smaller exhaust housing it would dampen the noise to an extent.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.vrsexhaust.com/TUBING_KIT.../honda_tk.html piping with vibrant resonator and muffler
Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by azn2nr
im sick of having to wait for the dam thing to open and close with i do or dont want it to be open.

Get rid of the slow gear motor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_2RlSZoplw

Most people use a k-teller or custom with magnaflow muffler & resonator, and say it's mostly very quiet. I drove an EF with a turbo-back 3" using just 2 cheap glass-packs as resonator & muffler, and it was bearable for the most part. Now I have the 3" turbo-back to cutout in the vid above, the rest is the stock axle-back. It was the only modded car that you could hear the rollers at the last dyno-day I went to...
Old 01-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that cutout was home made iirc. out of a throtle body and a servo motor. stuff i have no idea how to do or have the time to do. plus i want something that i can just step on it and be loud. no switches or anything. loud when i want it, quiet when im off it. kinda like the gallardo spyder or zo6. hit 3500 rpms and BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the turbine housing will play less of an effect than the turbine wheel size and trim. larger trim and diameter wheel is more open and allows more exhaust flow. I have a diesel turbo which s like a stage 5 turbine wheel . its large and has al large trim and with the two mufflers im pretty quiet
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have the Apexi WS 80mm turbo muffler? I am thinking of buying one to replace my Vibrant 3". I had the ws NA version and loved it.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bah, I gave up on these exhaust threads.. You can't tell noise levels on video.. A dB meter won't tell you how harsh it sounds or how deep the sound level really is, and every muffler video is free revving in neutral which has no load on the engine. Any driving video on a turbo Honda and you get more wastegate dump than anything...lol

You can run three resonators plus a Magnaflow 5x8 body muffler with a GT28R turbo/cast log manifold and it would be quite as hell. Probably quieter than a stock 350Z... Run the same exhaust on a FullRace topmount manifold and a GT42R and I bet it would sound like as if your car was all motor and you can wear ear muffs.

These threads are getting pretty pointless IMO... You'll never get your answer until you actually build the damn exhaust to begin with, and then justify whether you need more resonators, a bigger muffler, or if you think it's too quiet.

I thought my Camry sounded great and was stock-like quiet, but my dad was covering his ears when my turbo spooled. Noise level is subjective, so nobody will ever find an answer...lol
Old 01-23-2010, 02:10 AM

Check out Burns Stainless. They make a variety of straight through mufflers in a variety of sizes, even custom ones. I ran a 3" straight through w/ my full 3" turbo back exhaust and it was fairly quiet for what I was running.

Quick Reply: what makes turbo hondas w/3 inch exhausts so loud? lets talk mufflers.