Notices

What to look for in a turbo timer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to look for in a turbo timer?

Admittedly I'm guilty of romping on my car from time to time right to destination and then shutting it off. Like when you're flying to work because you're late then the last thing you're gonna do when you get there is sit and idle in the parking lot for a few minutes lol. I figured I should get a turbo timer before I ruin something someday and while browsing I see everything from $29 ebay units to $200 Greddy units.

I've never had a turbo timer so wondering what others experiences with them have been? Any particular "must have" features some units have that others don't etc? What justifies a $200 unit over the $30 ones?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What to look for in a turbo timer?

Ive been wondering about the differences other then name and price my self
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Really just the ability to be hooked up to the E-brake so that no one takes the car while you're waiting to shut down. As long as that wiring is available, there's really no difference. Its either Ebay or authentic. since today's younger generation has that "take it no matter what it takes" mindset, most will choose the e-bay.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does hooking it to the e-brake prevent someone from taking the car?

I've been trying to read the instructions to see how they work and from what I can tell if you pull up the e-brake before you turn off the key it'll keep running for X minutes and then get turned off by the timer. However if you shut off the key prior pulling up the parking brake it shuts off immediately. Is that correct?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
How does hooking it to the e-brake prevent someone from taking the car?

I've been trying to read the instructions to see how they work and from what I can tell if you pull up the e-brake before you turn off the key it'll keep running for X minutes and then get turned off by the timer. However if you shut off the key prior pulling up the parking brake it shuts off immediately. Is that correct?
No. If you remove the key it will start the countdown, even if you pull the e-brake in the process. It also means that if you put the e-brake down before the countdown ends, and the key is removed, then the car will shut off... not really aprevention method, but it does work.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I see. So no matter what the count down always starts every time you pull the key and if you want to over ride and shut it off you have to pull the parking brake and then release it.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
RESIDENT

Get yourself a remote start alarm, even if your car is a 5 speed you can wire the alarm to "not" be able to start it remotely but keep it running with the alarm. This way you can make the car stay running when you want, get out and arm the alarm.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Oh I see. So no matter what the count down always starts every time you pull the key and if you want to over ride and shut it off you have to pull the parking brake and then release it.
If you want to override, just turn the key on to the secondary position and hit power, or release the e-brake It will then reset itself after a couple of seconds. It won't count down until you remove the key again.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by typerfit
Get yourself a remote start alarm, even if your car is a 5 speed you can wire the alarm to "not" be able to start it remotely but keep it running with the alarm. This way you can make the car stay running when you want, get out and arm the alarm.
Ironically, it isn't even THAT difficult. Many new alarms from Compustar and DEI already have turbo timers built in. Then the car will automatically arm itself once the countdown has cycled.. Using a remote start would require a separate brain for the 5 speeds and cost 40% more than the alarm that had the built in timers.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't really wanting to get an aftermarket alarm. With the standard turbo timer can I not lock the car while the engine is running?

My hope was I could arrive at a destination and just pull up the parking brake and get out, lock the car and walk away knowing the engine will shutdown in approx 2 minutes. Is this not the case?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM

I wasn't really wanting to get an aftermarket alarm. With the standard turbo timer can I not lock the car while the engine is running?

My hope was I could arrive at a destination and just pull up the parking brake and get out, lock the car and walk away knowing the engine will shutdown in approx 2 minutes. Is this not the case?
For most cars including older Hondas like you and I rock around in, no. (though most of the time you only need about a minute or so when parking.. 2 minutes is if you just beat the **** out of it on the way to work or something). Any alarm not having a timer as part of its program would interfere with say, a used GReddy timer, and it wouldn't activate unless you were actually by the car to manually activate it after it cycled down. Plus, remember, the driver door doesn't lock manually unless you're outside of the car.. to prevent a lockout.

Its a shame your turbo doesn't have water-cooling. that would have helped even more than the timer.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM

With the standard turbo timer can I not lock the car while the engine is running?
If you manually lock it with a key from the outside, sure. Just can't use a remote to do it (if there's an aftermarket alarm)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for all the help shodan. That helps a lot. Wishing I had a water cooled turbo too but I'll have to work with what I have for now.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
For most cars including older Hondas like you and I rock around in, no. (though most of the time you only need about a minute or so when parking.. 2 minutes is if you just beat the **** out of it on the way to work or something). Any alarm not having a timer as part of its program would interfere with say, a used GReddy timer, and it wouldn't activate unless you were actually by the car to manually activate it after it cycled down. Plus, remember, the driver door doesn't lock manually unless you're outside of the car.. to prevent a lockout.

Its a shame your turbo doesn't have water-cooling. that would have helped even more than the timer.
I never used a timer in my setup but Shodan is correct. The more you beat on it then the more time you need. I will use the watercooling on his Shodan's turbo.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i always suggest an alarm with a built in turbo timer feature if you want an alarm in your vehicle. Otherwise, get an aftermarket unit.

yes; some alarms have delay to trigger settings that can be programed in, but its not that simple/safe if your running a turbo timer with a automatic time adjustment depending on run time. you could end up with dead spots of car being unprotected until the long delay is over.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Good information to bad I can't use a turbo timer because I have a manual fuel cut off switch
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah lots of good info here. It's making me re-consider having one or at least think long and hard about it. It might be more practical for me to just idle the car than have to deal with after market alarms.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

I just chill in my car for about 2-3 min and to me it's no big deal. I basically wait for my cooling fan to shut off and or my oil temp to lower
Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justYncredible
I just chill in my car for about 2-3 min and to me it's no big deal. I basically wait for my cooling fan to shut off and or my oil temp to lower
I assume you have an aftermarket oil temp gauge? That seems like a good idea. Where do you have the temp gauge at? right by the oil filter?
So what temps do you see while cruising and how much hotter does it get when running the car hard in boost? Interesting stuff. An oil temp gauge might be just what I need. Nothing like having to completely re-do my oil setup by the filter... grumble lol.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

I assume you have an aftermarket oil temp gauge? That seems like a good idea. Where do you have the temp gauge at? right by the oil filter?
So what temps do you see while cruising and how much hotter does it get when running the car hard in boost? Interesting stuff. An oil temp gauge might be just what I need. Nothing like having to completely re-do my oil setup by the filter... grumble lol.
Yeah I have the sending unit attached to the oil sandwich plate. Remember I live in hot *** Texas. Cruising I'm about 220-230 and stop and go traffic I'm at 195-210 degrees. I'm going to construct an oil cooler setup to help with cooler temps because of the climate I live in. I just run my car hard at the track and hardly on the road, but temps remain the same. I have a 14in fan as well.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 AM
RESIDENT

Ironically, it isn't even THAT difficult. Many new alarms from Compustar and DEI already have turbo timers built in. Then the car will automatically arm itself once the countdown has cycled.. Using a remote start would require a separate brain for the 5 speeds and cost 40% more than the alarm that had the built in timers.
Don't need a separate brain for a 5 speed, wire the alarm like normal, except the green starter wire would go to the starter side and the purple would go to the ignition side of the starter wire. This way if you do try to start the vehicle using the alarm the signal will go towards the ignition not the starter, I have done this on my previous turbo'd cars. Works greats. When the car is running, hit the remote start button, let the alarm brain cycle through its relays, it will keep the ignition on thus keeping the car running, set your "run time" in the brain and the car will remain running for X amount of minutes. Arm your car and walk away. You can get a DEI remote start alarm for under $200 (uninstalled obviously) If you are going to go the remote start direction I would recommend getting a DEI with SST technology. It is a 2 way system (the alarm and transmitter talk to each other) that has a 1 mile range.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 AM

Good to know.. Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 06:48 AM
RESIDENT

Good to know.. Thanks
Anytime sir.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by typerfit
Don't need a separate brain for a 5 speed, wire the alarm like normal, except the green starter wire would go to the starter side and the purple would go to the ignition side of the starter wire. This way if you do try to start the vehicle using the alarm the signal will go towards the ignition not the starter, I have done this on my previous turbo'd cars. Works greats. When the car is running, hit the remote start button, let the alarm brain cycle through its relays, it will keep the ignition on thus keeping the car running, set your "run time" in the brain and the car will remain running for X amount of minutes. Arm your car and walk away. You can get a DEI remote start alarm for under $200 (uninstalled obviously) If you are going to go the remote start direction I would recommend getting a DEI with SST technology. It is a 2 way system (the alarm and transmitter talk to each other) that has a 1 mile range.
That is a pretty slick way to go. Keeps the car functioning much like a stock vehicle.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 AM
RESIDENT

That is a pretty slick way to go. Keeps the car functioning much like a stock vehicle.
This is the alarm I have in my DB, Viper 5704. I have mine wired just like I explained. On cold mornings, hot days I run out, start my car, activate the remote start to heat up, cool off my car. The alarm itself is really nice, any DEI alarm is going to be the best way to go. If you are good with wiring, the install time on a remote start should be less then 4hrs. Depending on vehicle, you may need a transponder bypass (chipped key). If you are wanting to go this route let me know and I will try to help out any way I can.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Quick Reply: What to look for in a turbo timer?