Notices

what the hell!!! 3rd gear boost= 5codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the hell!!! 3rd gear boost= 5codes

so my friend has a built gsr set up, 84mm cp pistons,eagle rods,rs sleeves. well the car is set at 9psi. 1st and 2nd gear pulls and normal driving the car is fine. but when its time to pull 3rd gear, it throws a check engine light. the car is currently running off a narrow band air fuel,vafc,rc 370's,fmu,and a missing link.

the codes were as follows:

3-map sensor

7-throttle angel

22-vtec system malfunction

41-o2 sensor heater

43-fuel supply system

to try n diagnose the probs, we so far did

1.turn down boost to 5lbs=no result

2. change out map sensor with a gauranteed working unit=no result

3.changed out o2 sensor with gauranteed working unit=no result

again this cel only comes on under 3rd gear pulls. any help would be greatly appriciated.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what the hell!!! 3rd gear boost= 5codes (kyosoeg6)

No need to run fmu and missing link with the vafc. I would pick one or the other. I dunno, I would start from there man. I personally prefer vafc over fmu/mising link.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell!!! 3rd gear boost= 5codes (Mag00n)

uberdata> VAFC
Old 12-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mag00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No need to run fmu and missing link with the vafc. I would pick one or the other. I dunno, I would start from there man. I personally prefer vafc over fmu/mising link.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this we know just havent had the time to take them out. also cause a hondata is soon to be ordered.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racinskittle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uberdata&gt; VAFC </TD></TR></TABLE>

hondata is on the way.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyosoeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this we know just havent had the time to take them out. also cause a hondata is soon to be ordered.

hondata is on the way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol ok. Whatever floats your boat!
Old 12-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyosoeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so my friend has a built gsr set up, 84mm cp pistons,eagle rods,rs sleeves. . . . . narrow band air fuel,vafc,rc 370's,fmu,and a missing link.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why why why?

Don't even risk runining that motor. .
Old 12-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyosoeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this we know just havent had the time to take them out. also cause a hondata is soon to be ordered.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, that's well and good. But I'm trying to tell you that this is more than likely your problem........
Old 12-15-2004, 10:37 AM
TurboJesse

The 370-440/afc/fmu/missing link system works and is superior to the AFC hack. Im not sure your settings or what disc your running in the fmu but plenty have made good numbers on similar setups. Either way i would run it any day over the Hack.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell!!! 3rd gear boost= 5codes (Mpir3)

Well his car isn't running. It clearly has something to do with his fuel/management setup.......
Old 12-15-2004, 10:57 AM

guessing shitty vafc install maybe? no clue just a posibility
Old 12-15-2004, 10:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The 370-440/afc/fmu/missing link system works and is superior to the AFC hack. Im not sure your settings or what disc your running in the fmu but plenty have made good numbers on similar setups. Either way i would run it any day over the Hack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd be interested to hear and explanation about this. With a missing link the afc ecu would never even see high vacuum numbers, just low vacuum where ignition adavance is the greatest. So then the ecu sees low vacuum and the fmu increases fuel pressure. So far this sounds like the stupidest idea ever. All the down sides to both and no upsides. Lots of ign, high fp.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:43 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: what the hell!!! 3rd gear boost= 5codes (hoggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd be interested to hear and explanation about this. With a missing link the afc ecu would never even see high vacuum numbers, just low vacuum where ignition adavance is the greatest. So then the ecu sees low vacuum and the fmu increases fuel pressure. So far this sounds like the stupidest idea ever. All the down sides to both and no upsides. Lots of ign, high fp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the afc hack ***** things up because of the correction you have to run. you dont' need to run nearly the amount of correction with this setup. Alot of guys have ran 10's using this setup..before the days of hondata and AEM.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for nothing on all the comments. all i am simply trying to figure out is why the car does this under 3rd gear pulls. i dont care if u guys dont like the engine management. bottom line is the car was running fine for a while. then this problem came up. only throws cel on 3rd gear pulls.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:46 AM

Only thing I can possibly think of is that in 3rd gear there is enough load to create a little more boost and the ecu is seeing boost somehow. That would explain the map code. The rest, who knows. The main thing is the setup is not worth the risk of running on that messed up fuel management, don't it till you get your hondata.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell!!! 3rd gear boost= 5codes (hoggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd be interested to hear and explanation about this. With a missing link the afc ecu would never even see high vacuum numbers, just low vacuum where ignition adavance is the greatest. So then the ecu sees low vacuum and the fmu increases fuel pressure. So far this sounds like the stupidest idea ever. All the down sides to both and no upsides. Lots of ign, high fp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No high fuel pressure, so the FMU does a credible job of repeatable fuel pressures + delivery. Much less ignition advance than regular AFC hack - AFC is mainly used to control idle and part throttle fuel delivery. I can see some tip in pinging which could be sidestepped with proper hi/lo throttle % tweakage.

FMU used in these situations is typically 4:1 unit.

BTMs actually work in this setup.

Met a couple of ppl who've run 400+ whp on FMU + AFC + injectors.

After you've bought all the gear for it you could have Hyundaidata S200 with all the DIY options, or UD + wideband + Ostrich/BURN1/AutoPROM and a nice dinner with a ladyfriend. Sometimes ppl have this stuff laying around or come across it cheap, so it is convenient to run - domestic guys sell BTMs for half what the import kids do.

Anyway...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyosoeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3-map sensor

7-throttle angel

22-vtec system malfunction

41-o2 sensor heater

43-fuel supply system</TD></TR></TABLE>

CEL 3 and 43 - check valves, AFC.

CEL 7 - check the TPS

CEL 22 - not VTEC system malfunction, VTEC oil pressure switch. As in bad connection, or your engine isn't making enough oil pressure to close the switch and allow VTEC activation.

CEL 41 - Loose wiring at the O2? Normally comes on withing 3 seconds of starting the car when ECU sees no current passing through the O2 heater.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyosoeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this we know just havent had the time to take them out. also cause a hondata is soon to be ordered. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Then why make the post in the first place? "Help me fix a problem with a setup I'm throwing in the trash day after tomorrow"