Notices

What exaclty does a wastegate do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exaclty does a wastegate do?

Ive been woundering about it for a while now.
What exactly does a waste gate do? Its connected to the exhaust manifold right?
Can someone teach me what it does? (pictures would be nice too)
thanx
Old 03-21-2002, 11:03 PM

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (Raz1983)

A wategate regualtes the amount of boost you run!

The wastegate is mounted to the exhasut manifold, best location being where all the primarys come together. Location varys on manifol to manifold. You should also have a vacuum line running to the wastegate.

Say you are running 10psi. The wastegate should stay closed until it gets a reading of 10psi. from the vacuum line. Once, it gets a reading of 10psi. it will start to open a valve which releases exhaust through a dump tube on the backside of the wastegate. This is done to keep only enough exhasut going to the turbo to regulate the 10psi. boost pressure. All the extra exhaust gases will be let out through the dump tube. Most of the time a Turbo kit will come with a Dump tube which vents into the atmosphere and is really loud. This is called "open loop". But you can reroute the dump tube back tpo the exhasut system making it quiet. This way is called "closed loop". Using the closed loop method you may lose like 2hp cause of the disruption of the exhaust flow as it enters into the exhaust piping.

I hope this awnsered what you needed. I may of explained things in a manner that is hard to understand, but I hope you can understand it. Well later.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:07 PM

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (2000_Civic_Si)

Wow, thanx for your answer!
I kinda understand it except for one place. so, is the wastegate located before the turbine? isnt the turbine located right after the exhaust manifold? so the exhaust gas, goes from wastegate, turbine, and then out?
sorry for all the questions, but i really want to learn how the whole turbo works
thanx
Old 03-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A wategate regualtes the amount of boost you run!

The wastegate is mounted to the exhasut manifold, best location being where all the primarys come together. Location varys on manifol to manifold. You should also have a vacuum line running to the wastegate.

Say you are running 10psi. The wastegate should stay closed until it gets a reading of 10psi. from the vacuum line. Once, it gets a reading of 10psi. it will start to open a valve which releases exhaust through a dump tube on the backside of the wastegate. This is done to keep only enough exhasut going to the turbo to regulate the 10psi. boost pressure. All the extra exhaust gases will be let out through the dump tube. Most of the time a Turbo kit will come with a Dump tube which vents into the atmosphere and is really loud. This is called "open loop". But you can reroute the dump tube back tpo the exhasut system making it quiet. This way is called "closed loop". Using the closed loop method you may lose like 2hp cause of the disruption of the exhaust flow as it enters into the exhaust piping.

I hope this awnsered what you needed. I may of explained things in a manner that is hard to understand, but I hope you can understand it. Well later.
Exactly what was said above. To add.

If you want to boost more than you would have to go with some type of a boost controller---weather it be an electronic boost controller or a manual boost controller.
If you choose to boost below the specified wastegate pressure (say the spring is set for .45 bar or about 6 psi), then you would have to go with a lower spring rate in the wastegate itself to be able to boost below that .45 bar pressure.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:18 PM

No problem. People here at http://www.H-T.com are please to help people with your questions. We all have questions at one time or another. So we are glad to help!

Well to get back to the topic. Yes, the wastegate is located before the Compressor Housing. The exhaust gases will come out of the head, flow into the manifold pass "BY" the wastegate and into the compressor housing. and then out the downpipe. Then once the valve opens in the wastegate you will have some of the exhaust gases escaping out the Wastegates dumptube. Which overall the compressor housing will see less exhaust gases. Let me know if you have anymore questions!
Old 03-21-2002, 11:41 PM

93LSivic, 2000_Civic_Si
thanx for the answers!
they both answered all my questions i had in my mind!
again, thanx a bunch!
Old 03-22-2002, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well to get back to the topic. Yes, the wastegate is located before the Compressor Housing. The exhaust gases will come out of the head, flow into the manifold pass "BY" the wastegate and into the compressor housing. and then out the downpipe.
you mean the turbine housing NOT the compressor housing. the compressor is the one that compresses the air and sends it to the intake. the turbine is what's between the WG/exhaust manifold and the downpipe.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:04 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (BlueShadow)

Im so happy you guys responded with something very good, rather than do a search.

art
Old 03-22-2002, 09:59 AM

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (Arturbo)

eh? r u trying to be sarcastic?
cause i did a search on it on yahoo and others, but couldnt get good info on it, so i decided to post it, since i know you guyz would have the answer.

just to make sure, the gas flows like this right?
exhaust manifold
wastegate
turbine
downpipe

thanx
Old 03-22-2002, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

exhaust manifold
wastegate
turbine
downpipe

thanx
huh-huh---huh-huh...he said gas...huh-huh

j/k yes that's how it goes
Old 03-25-2002, 09:38 PM

then how does boost controller relate to wastegate.. I suppose if I have a wastegate I dont need a boost controller?
Old 03-25-2002, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (chusai)

then how does boost controller relate to wastegate.. I suppose if I have a wastegate I dont need a boost controller?
The only thing the boost controller will do is allow you to boost more than the wastegate spring. Hence, you can run a turbo without a boost controller, but cant boost more than the wg spring.

Confused yet??
Old 03-25-2002, 09:52 PM

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (93LSivic)

then can I boost less than what the wastegate allows with boost controller?
Old 03-25-2002, 09:52 PM
New User

actually.. ive been told that the wastegate spring is for "pseudo" boost. it doesnt regulate boost... it actually prevents boost creep.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (dlplayboy)

Oh yeah, I might add! When you are boosting using the wg spring----the turbo in most cases wont come onto full boost as quickly as using a bc. Reason: Because since it is in fact a spring, nothing will keep the wg closed fully (with the exception of a boost controller) until it reaches the boost level its rated at. Another words, it leaks boost the whole time.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:59 PM

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (dlplayboy)

yeah, if I cant boost more than the wastegate regulates, what good is a boost controller for?
Old 03-25-2002, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (chusai)

yeah, if I cant boost more than the wastegate regulates, what good is a boost controller for?
You have it backwards. You cant boost lower than the wg spring. The boost controller is to up the boost.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:26 PM

so wastegate is not used to avoid overboost... it's used to set the lower boost limit?
Old 03-25-2002, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh? r u trying to be sarcastic?
cause i did a search on it on yahoo and others, but couldnt get good info on it, so i decided to post it, since i know you guyz would have the answer.

exhaust manifold
wastegate
turbine
downpipe

thanx
I don't think art is being sarcastic. Lately people have been answering "newbie" type questions with "do a search." I agree with art, it was a simple question but someone actually took the time to give a well thought out answer. This is the HT I know. . .too bad it's not like this all the time. . .
Old 03-26-2002, 02:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only thing the boost controller will do is allow you to boost more than the wastegate spring. Hence, you can run a turbo without a boost controller, but cant boost more than the wg spring.

Confused yet??
I was under the impression that a boost controller kept the wastegate closed 100% until desired boost was reached. Doesnt it interupt the "vacuum" line going to the wastgate actuator and send the signal to open at the last possible second? This would allow you to spool quicker since the WG is closed 100% till then...?
Old 03-26-2002, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (niedejb)

a boost controller manipulates the boost signal that is coming from the boost source. regardless, if the wastegate is able to "see" the amount of boost that is equivalent to the spring that it has it will open and let exhaust pass. a boost controller is basically a restrictor in the line from the boost source to the wastegate and only lets the wastegate "see" less boost than is actually being made. in turn the wastegate does not open and the turbo is allowed to spool longer creating more boost. eventually the turbo will create enoungh boost to allow the wastegate to "see" its spring pressure and it will open to relieve the extra exhaust.

[Modified by racerxadam, 11:01 AM 3/26/2002]
Old 03-26-2002, 05:13 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (racerxadam)

good answer racer!!
Old 03-26-2002, 05:53 AM
Trial User

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (Dee)

good thread, maybe we can rename to the beginner's turbo FAQ
Old 03-26-2002, 06:19 AM

is BOV and WasteGate is the same working method?
I know bov make those psssssssssssst sound
Old 03-26-2002, 06:23 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What exaclty does a wastegate do? (kenkan)

is BOV and WasteGate is the same working method?
Technically, yes. All they are essentially are pressure relief valves.

Quick Reply: What exaclty does a wastegate do?