Notices

what does too small exhaust feel like?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does too small exhaust feel like?

ok,t3 on a b16a3,el cheapo 3 "air filter.

when i boost,the gauge goes up to 10,but doesnt really feel like its going up,it feels alittle stronger than when its not in boost,but it doesnt feel like its really pulling very hard.turbo and set up are all new.t3 will boost to over 20 psi with wastegate unhooked(whoops).

im wondering the exhaust is just restrictive,its a 2.5 dp with stock exhaust and no cat.

im putting together a t3/t4 set up now and plan to use 3 " exhaust.just want ot hear from some of those who have had these symptons and made a difference with new exhaust.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does too small exhaust feel like? (civictypenos)

just use an e cutout. you will definatly feel the difference between the two. check my sig for more info
Old 10-14-2003, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does too small exhaust feel like? (civictypenos)

go eat a can of refried beans...

Then put a cork up your ***, and try to fart...

Same thing...
Old 10-14-2003, 06:27 AM

Default Re: what does too small exhaust feel like? (ScrapinSi)

HAHAHA.

It's too restrictive, much too restrictive.

Put a good system on there, replace EVERYTHING (except the downpipe, since you already have one).

That downpipe isn't doing you too much good...

Most people with turbo cars are amazed with how much a freer-flowing exhaust will do.

Old 10-14-2003, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does too small exhaust feel like? (kpt4321)

That 2.5" DP is fine.... (but you say you're going 20psi later ??? on that turbo ? Open W/g ? I don't get that part....)

w/e... that exhaust setup will make you feel as tho boost takes a while to build and at the top end... it'll feel strained, even tho you can feel the power potential. You low end should feel good...but upper rpm will kinda suck.

Want to know what's the difference for real ? Do one of a few things to test....

Run the car as is and note it's performance well.

Take off your muffler and run it again.
OR
Take off your exhaust system from the DP and run it again.

*Note... try not to be influenced by the tremendous ruckus that ensue's from no muffler or exhaust....
Old 10-14-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what does too small exhaust feel like? (X2BOARD)

Any exahust is restrictive on a boosted application, even with my 3" I could feel a noticeable difference when running open DP.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does too small exhaust feel like? (VTC_CiViC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any exahust is restrictive on a boosted application, even with my 3" I could feel a noticeable difference when running open DP. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats why to start i'm running open downpipe...
Old 10-14-2003, 07:23 AM

it feels like this
Old 10-14-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Re: what does too small exhaust feel like? (X2BOARD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That 2.5" DP is fine.... (but you say you're going 20psi later ??? on that turbo ? Open W/g ? I don't get that part....)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

im putting a t3/t4oe on it soon with new manifold and tial wastegate,going to replace the whole exhaust at the same time.im just going to buy all the piping from jc whitney and make it my self.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:41 AM

Default Re: (nevin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nevin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it feels like this
</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats wrong with that your power goes down.

and i use to have open dp and it stunk to much so i welded it back on. With a stock exhaust and cat first it was slow because it was clogged and couldnt build boost that good but know in second gear and up i can get boost from 4000+ and its quick low end because of the back pressure but top end isnt the same anymore.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:43 AM

Default Re: (InTeGrA B18b1)

my top end seems to be what the problem is.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (civictypenos)

The other thing you may want to consider is that; although you are building 10psi, you're engine is having an incredibly hard time pumping the exhaust out. This causes tons of heat and can crack your manifold and do other heat related damage to your turbo. The rule of thumb on a turbo car is your exhaust can never be too big. I run a 3" downpipe on my RX-3 and run it into a 3.5" exhaust with a free flow diesel truck muffler to keep it sorta quiet. I think my next mod will be to go to a 3.5" downpipe as well.

Krazy Karl
Old 10-14-2003, 12:02 PM

buy a Cut-out for $150+....i dont really have a preferance in brands...get some money...go to kteller8...hes the man to go to for exhaust systems for a good price.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigwig)

Man, I usually run Open O2 housing and ever since i put my NON-Mandrel bend 2.5" exhuast (not 2.5" all the way around) mine feels like it pulls like **** TOO! I hate the damn thing. Im just sick of pouring all the exhaust into my engine bay.

Im running a D16z6 with a 2.5 crappy bent open DP to an open 3" ecutout. It feels like ****! I need a new downpipe cuz this one SUCKS. Just thought i'd share because im experiencing the same problems.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:47 PM

Default Re: (InTeGrA B18b1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InTeGrA B18b1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and i use to have open dp and it stunk to much so i welded it back on. With a stock exhaust and cat first it was slow because it was clogged and couldnt build boost that good but know in second gear and up i can get boost from 4000+ and its quick low end because of the back pressure but top end isnt the same anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong wrong wrong.

1: If you don't build boost until 4000rpm, your car is VERY laggy. I get 18 psi by 3300 rpm in the DSM, and my buddy's 92 Integra gets 10 psi by like 3200 rpm on his 14b. I feel bad for you.

2: Backpressure NEVER EVER is good, and NEVER EVER makes power. NEVER. You're thinking of scavenging.

Less restriction is good. Open your exhaust up, use a test pipe and a better cat-back.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:01 PM

test pipe=very illegal

I think the common suggestion would be DP-&gt;cutout-&gt;high flow cat-&gt;mandrel bent exhaust-&gt;turbo muffler

Some dont run a cutout and just run a mandrel bent exhaust some say do the opposite. for the first few months i will be running a cutout w/ a stock exhaust...why might you ask? b/c w/ a stock exhaust i can still boost even though i cant boost as much and get as good of numbers i can still boost...and if i wanna go out and have fun...open the cutout and i will be kicking some ***....i will then after be buying a complete exhaust system from kteller8 so i will be running 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust from the cat back...the cat will be replaced w/ a high flow cat and i will throw on a turbo muffler for good measure...this way i can use the cutout to free up about 10whp in a race situation or just boost my head off w/ the mandrel exhaust system

This question should never be asked again, but i partially blame it on the moderators. they should have a sticky w/ FAQ and the answers to them. i think my answer is pretty thorough, lock the god damn thread now.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kpt4321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpt4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you don't build boost until 4000rpm, your car is VERY laggy.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess that's relative to what your reving to. My SC61 will build boost around 4500-5000.

I know Ryan Audry can add to this, he has an SC63 (I think)
Old 10-14-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civictypenos)

if you are looking for power, the best choice is to get a cutout, its cheap and its power when you want it. next best is too just run open dp, but it gets too loud and annoying, third best is get a 3" exhaust, but could be expensive.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:47 PM

Default Re: what does too small exhaust feel like? (ScrapinSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScrapinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go eat a can of refried beans...

Then put a cork up your ***, and try to fart...

Same thing... </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah funny ****.. go downpipe out buddy no low end but top end is awesome good luck im lookin an e cutout too. can anyone hook me up?
Old 10-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does too small exhaust feel like? (egturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
im lookin an e cutout too. can anyone hook me up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have cutouts for sale, they are qtecs. i only have 2 left. lmk if you are interested.

for more info, check out my sig
Old 10-14-2003, 03:19 PM

Default Re: (FredoSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I guess that's relative to what your reving to. My SC61 will build boost around 4500-5000.

I know Ryan Audry can add to this, he has an SC63 (I think)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true.

I was considering the fact that he was running a stock exhaust. I should have clarified.

Old 10-14-2003, 03:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigwig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">test pipe=very illegal

I think the common suggestion would be DP-&gt;cutout-&gt;high flow cat-&gt;mandrel bent exhaust-&gt;turbo muffler
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey smartie, cut-outs are very illegal, just as or more illegal than a test pipe. You won't pass inspection with one of those either.

I prefer to have a good flowing exhaust all the time. I don't want to set my car up for "special occasions," I want to have the power avaliable when I put my foot down. That is what a street car is for.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kpt4321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpt4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hey smartie, cut-outs are very illegal, just as or more illegal than a test pipe. You won't pass inspection with one of those either.

I prefer to have a good flowing exhaust all the time. I don't want to set my car up for "special occasions," I want to have the power avaliable when I put my foot down. That is what a street car is for.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont know how inspections go for you, but i dont see how it wont pass with a cutout? they arent more illegal than test pipes, i dont even think they are illegal. if you do get in trouble with it, you can say that you only use it at the track. at least with a cutout, you can still run a cat.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigwig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">test pipe=very illegal

Some dont run a cutout and just run a mandrel bent exhaust some say do the opposite. for the first few months i will be running a cutout w/ a stock exhaust...why might you ask? b/c w/ a stock exhaust i can still boost even though i cant boost as much and get as good of numbers i can still boost...and if i wanna go out and have fun...open the cutout and i will be kicking some ***....i will then after be buying a complete exhaust system from kteller8 so i will be running 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust from the cat back...the cat will be replaced w/ a high flow cat and i will throw on a turbo muffler for good measure...this way i can use the cutout to free up about 10whp in a race situation or just boost my head off w/ the mandrel exhaust system

This question should never be asked again, but i partially blame it on the moderators. they should have a sticky w/ FAQ and the answers to them. i think my answer is pretty thorough, lock the god damn thread now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's exactly what i'm doing. I've got my cutout hooked up to my STOCK exhaust (cat and all) when i dont need any performance. (my turbo is really laggy). When i need the performance, i just open the Mccord powerplate and let it release to the atmosphere. This way when I go to emissions, ill still have my stock exhaust to pass emissions when i need to. No changes needed, it's cheap, and it flows the best of all, plus the cops wont bother me because of an exhaust. These are the reasons i chose it.

As far as the questions go. I dont blame it on the moderators at all. This was a valid question that hasn't been touched upon recently.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:40 PM

Default Re: (racinskittle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racinskittle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah that's exactly what i'm doing. I've got my cutout hooked up to my STOCK exhaust (cat and all) when i dont need any performance. (my turbo is really laggy). When i need the performance, i just open the Mccord powerplate and let it release to the atmosphere. This way when I go to emissions, ill still have my stock exhaust to pass emissions when i need to. No changes needed, it's cheap, and it flows the best of all, plus the cops wont bother me because of an exhaust. These are the reasons i chose it.

As far as the questions go. I dont blame it on the moderators at all. This was a valid question that hasn't been touched upon recently.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where'd you get your cutout from and how much?

Quick Reply: what does too small exhaust feel like?