Notices

What does compressor surge sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 01:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does compressor surge sound like?

I have a Blitz BOV,

When it blows off it sort of goes

"Woooosh shu shu!"

Very ... kind of fluttering I think, unless I go full throttle in which it just go whoosh.

But Should I be getting just a straight "WOOOOOSH" sound?? Or something?
Old 03-31-2003, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What does compressor surge sound like? (Snafu-Si)

Your blow off valve should flutter a little bit. Just make sure it is ajusted so your not leaking any boost, and not surging.

I have never heard compressor surge, but I remember a long time ago when I first got into the turbo game someone told me it sounds like "a old horse being spanked" I dont know if I can even imagine that, but thats what I was told.

My BOB flutters a little bit if I let off the gas at partial throttle also. It also depends on how fast you let go of the throttle. Just play with it and you will get to know its personality. I dont think you have much to worry about.

BTW, you remind me of when I installed my first turbo kit. I whored up this forum with tons of posts concerning these types of things. Hehe
Old 03-31-2003, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does compressor surge sound like? (intekragsr)

Correct
Old 03-31-2003, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does compressor surge sound like? (Honda4CX-T)

rattle snake
Old 03-31-2003, 04:11 AM

Its normal. Blow off on part throttle flutters as the intake pressure isn't great enough to fully open the BOV.

On WOT its like a whip lash
Old 03-31-2003, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does compressor surge sound like? (swlabhot)

Compressor surge on my setup sounded like a stuttering dove trying to coo. Let of the gas at WOT/boost and coo-coo-coo-coo-coo really quickly.

Unless your BOV is set to stiff, I doubt you're having that problem... since you get the stutter sounds after the BOV has gone off, I'm sure it's just the BOV fluttering a bit and you are fine.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas

Your blow off valve should flutter a little bit. Just make sure it is ajusted so your not leaking any boost, and not surging.

I have never heard compressor surge, but I remember a long time ago when I first got into the turbo game someone told me it sounds like "a old horse being spanked" I dont know if I can even imagine that, but thats what I was told.

My BOB flutters a little bit if I let off the gas at partial throttle also. It also depends on how fast you let go of the throttle. Just play with it and you will get to know its personality. I dont think you have much to worry about.

BTW, you remind me of when I installed my first turbo kit. I whored up this forum with tons of posts concerning these types of things. Hehe
A old horse being spanked? ... uh..... Do you a mpeg of what that might sound like?

Just so I know, how would I know if my BOV is leaking or not?

When I first checked my Blitz DD BOV, I notice that my top screw was really loose, I was just checking it, and after just a quick tiny jerk, I was able to loosen it by hand. I re tightend the top screw on the BOV with a ratchet, and gave it a full turn to make sure that it's tight. Just not so loose that it came off practically by hand!

But it sounds like I'm good to go, thankyou people.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:49 AM

It sounds like pigeons under your hood. Really, it does. My car does it like a champ.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does compressor surge sound like? (kpt4321)

IMO, compressor surge sounds a million times better than a Greddy Type-R blow-off valve doing its thing at 1 bar of boost Should've heard my friend's SR20DET before he had a blow-off valve welded to his piping.. sounded real scary.. but cool at the same time
Old 03-31-2003, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does compressor surge sound like? (kpt4321)

It sounds like pigeons under your hood. Really, it does. My car does it like a champ.
yea actually my HKS SSQ sounded like pigeons fighting for bread under my hood before. I hooked the damn bird to an independent vacume source and now it flutters no more! If you tee it off with too many things it wont be that responsive. I think the BOV is the most important to hook up to independnet source after the throttle body.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:27 PM

what was that sound again