Notices

What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 05:48 PM
I live under a rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure?

Trying to do this a better way then a hose coming off where the pcv valve was ......Looking for some ideas..... pics would be a huge help

thanks guys

Steve
Old 05-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (spoolinlude)

i have the valve cover vent and the crankcase vent going to a custom made catchcan with a breather filter on it.go to the website in my sig for pics.it is the silver box next to the abs motor.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (turbotypeR)

mine is "accidentally " open to atmosphere...

stan
Old 05-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (Flamenco-T)

i'm thinking about installing a small port on my DP to act as a vacuum to suck the vapors out of the crankcase.. it will be plumbed via hoses and check valves so there won't be any negative affects from the exhaust gas reentering the system.. it will also be tied into the iintake manifold as well to utilize the vacuum from it during idle.. it a crazy concept, but i'm pretty sure its been done, and that's why i'm planning on doing it myself.. anyone know what i'm talking about, please comment on this... i'll try to post up a diagram showing the vacuum lines etc...
Old 05-14-2003, 09:21 PM

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (92HB_HB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm thinking about installing a small port on my DP to act as a vacuum to suck the vapors out of the crankcase.. it will be plumbed via hoses and check valves so there won't be any negative affects from the exhaust gas reentering the system.. it will also be tied into the iintake manifold as well to utilize the vacuum from it during idle.. it a crazy concept, but i'm pretty sure its been done, and that's why i'm planning on doing it myself.. anyone know what i'm talking about, please comment on this... i'll try to post up a diagram showing the vacuum lines etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not just plumb it into you intake pipe if you have one? thats one I've done and it seems to work fine for me. Before the turbo, not on the charge pipe.
It acts just like it did stock, at idle air is sucked in through the filter and into the valve cover, under wot the turbo sucks the gases (blowby) from the crankcase.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (b16ahybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why not just plumb it into you intake pipe if you have one? thats one I've done and it seems to work fine for me. Before the turbo, not on the charge pipe.
It acts just like it did stock, at idle air is sucked in through the filter and into the valve cover, under wot the turbo sucks the gases (blowby) from the crankcase.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i want to plumb it at the exhaust side so the blowby gases get sucked out of the exhaust and not back into the engine to get reburned during WOT.. this should be a good thing for the motor too.. but at idle, it won't matter as much so, the vacuum at the manifold will pull the gases back into the motor to get reburned.. with my checkvalve setup, they will shut when boost is present in the manifold and open allow the gases to get sucked out of the exhaust... its kinda complicated to explain, but is pretty simple though...
Old 05-15-2003, 06:11 AM

i used to have a filter on ther breather on the vent on the valve cover
Old 05-15-2003, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just run a hose from the valve cover and a hose from the oil separator can on the back of the block to the ground. No pcv.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:14 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (bottlefedb18c1)

Using the exhaust to pull out blowby is an old V8 trick. There is a special 1way valve for this application and I'm pretty sure Summit sells them.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:38 AM

If you hook it up to your exhaust and your im manifold you will be sucking on th crankcase at idle and under load, when you should be sucking fresh air into the valve cover under vacuum
Old 05-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

ummm..... you do not connect the valve cover breather to the exhaust. Only the PCV line from the oil separator is connected and the port on the intake is blocked off.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you should be sucking fresh air into the valve cover under vacuum</TD></TR></TABLE>

so are u saying that the breather on the valve cover sucks air when its at idle? mine blows out air and also a few cars i know... can u clarify this a little bit more?
Old 05-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (TurboDANDEE)

you do hook the valve cover breather to the exhaust. That is how it is supposed to be done.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (boosted3g)

So if you plug the hose to the intake pipe right before the turbo it should be okay. But wouldnt the turbo get covered in gunk???
Old 05-15-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (ntegls)

both my hoses go to a catch can
Old 05-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Ray
New User

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (QCKGSR)

whast the difference of running a catch can w/o pcv and running it open atmosphere w/o pcv?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (QCKGSR)

wtf, im confused
Which way is correct for turbo?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (boosted3g)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted3g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you do hook the valve cover breather to the exhaust. That is how it is supposed to be done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Some care needs to be exercised in doing this. If you don't have the right sized piping or the right angle, you can suck oil right out of the crankcase.

Sonny
Old 05-15-2003, 04:19 PM
I live under a rock

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (Sonny)

Hmm some good ideas, so where do you hook up this "line" from the exhaust to create a vaccum to pull off fumes as done in olden times V8 cars, its still unclear to me!
Old 05-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (spoolinlude)

OPEN V8 setup with one side as a breather while the other is for expelling vaporized oil. Instead of dropping the outlet line to the ground it is connected to exhaust so contaminated air can be pulled out of the engine/head.

CLOSED inline PCV setup with a direct connection to the crankcase.

Current PCV setups are more effective because contaminated air is pulled directly from the crankcase. Here's a page that can help everyone form their own opions. I can go on for days about PCV setups because I have been listening to people argue about open/closed, run both lines/run only the PCV line to the exhaust for more than 20 years.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (Dee)

I'm running the Endyne breather tank. Its pretty nice and the kit comes w/ everything.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:15 PM

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (TurboDANDEE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboDANDEE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so are u saying that the breather on the valve cover sucks air when its at idle? mine blows out air and also a few cars i know... can u clarify this a little bit more?</TD></TR></TABLE>

according to my chiltons manual. "The pcv valve contains a spring loaded plunger which is lifter in proportion to intake manifold vacuum. Under high vacuume, blowby is returned directly to the IM through the breather chamber and pcv valve with fresh air. When the intake manifold vacuum decreases (wot) and vaucuum in the air cleaner increases the pcv valve closes and blowby is returned through the cylinder head cover breather hose and into the air cleaner"
Old 05-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am very interested in routing my valvecover breather to my exhaust. Where can I find more info on this? I would think a regular old PCV valve from autozone would work as a checkvalve.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (JalopySiR)

Here's what you guys are looking for. WHen I used to run these I ran them on each valve cover...

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/...13023
Old 05-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure? (PseudoSilvia)

The PCV valve works only when the car is idling in vaccum. Once your boosting its useless. I have the air filter on the valve cover, but that method sucks too. It eventually gets oil soaked and is inaffective. Not too mention you will smell vapours inside your car. If you don't have a power steering pump hooked up to your car you can try this idea. I am going to use a Ford evac pump. This sucker works like a charm. My brother has it on his Stang and the Ford community swears by it. The hitch is, its only good up to 5500rpms. So you have to make a smaller pulley (supercharger mentality) to fool the evac pump so it works at high rpm speeds, thus making it effective up to 9000rpm. If you have a crank pulley that is for power steering then your in business. Custom fab a bracket for the evac pump with the same pulley belt as the power steering. This system will ellimunate crank case pressure and allow you to run more boost with less stress on the motor.

Quick Reply: What do you guys do to relieve crankcase pressure?