What do we think of this turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do we think of this turbo kit?

http://www.fullybolted.com/catalog/p...duct_info.html

Mind you I'll have to throw away half the plumbing or bend it this way or that to get it in my Mini.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What do we think of this turbo kit?

piece a turbo kit together yourself and save thousands...........
Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4k is absolutely highway robbery lol you're a fool for even considering that kit, and half the **** in that kit are shitty brands or knock offs
Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like a $500 ebay kit

We already told you on our other thread about what to do with your custom project.

or buy this junk, see that it wont work, then spend more $$ doing what we suggested in the 1st place
Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That kit uses an FMU for fuel managment, thats dinosaur age **** man!

For $3800 you can absolutly have a custom manfold made, custome downpipe/charge pipes, get brand name turbo and supporting parts, and have a properly tuned ecu with ectune/crome/neptune....

Dont do it!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm...well that settles that.

I'm seriously thinking or GT25 or GT28...likely cast manifold for clearance issues.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you go that route you can ****** up edelbrock T25 manifolds for about $125 new. The downpipe will probably have to be custom
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what you should be paying: http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gocotuki.html

I have the manifold that comes with the tuner kit, and when paired with the right DP it's AC friendly.

However, you will still need ECU/injectors/tune/etc.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^
OP cant use off the shelf handa manifolds cuz its going into a Mini..

Shodan already told this guy what to do, but now he keep posting different threads.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets break this down real quick man....

-Custom made mini ram manifold $600- You can have this done by many people/companies, talk to go-autoworks, you take some basic measurments for clearance's, and they build a manifold for you.

-Precision entry line turbo of your choice - $600
-Tial wastegate- $300
-Tial BOV- $250
-Oil lines- $100
-boost gauge- $50
-ebay intercooler- $100
- Intercooler clamps and couplers- $50
- Have local exhaust shop build custom charge pipes/ down pipe
If they just do plain old crush bent 2.5" It should only cost about
-down pipe- $150
-charge pipes- $200
-New injectors any size you want- $300
- chipped ecu ready for tuning- $150
- professional dyno tune- $500

That's $3250, plan for somewhere between $250 to $750 for incidentals. This will vary depending on what you run into on your car.

That's $3500 to $4000 for an awesome custom turbo set up that has proper engine managment.

Now do it!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With flip up fiberglass front end I'm going to pickup Friday. I think there is a good chance a Honda cast manifold will fit. If it puts the turbo down and to the drivers side it can displace the A/C compressor. Which is where it looks like the over priced kit puts it. I apologize if the additional thread is a no, no. I just wanted folks to see the manifold and turbo. I guess I should have much more clearly stated that.

This car runs higher RPM than normal for a B18 most of the time. I use a 3.47 FD and with 13 inch tires it turns just short of 3300 RPM at 70 MPH.

That being the case, I would expect that could influence which turbo to buy. A GT28 may be more appropriate than a GT25. My assumption is that a ball bearing turbo would be superior in all sorts of ways than a non B/B.

Because I don't want to crack open the engine I understand that I don't want more than 5 to 7psi before bad things could happen. So with all of that in mind, turbo lag may be less of an issue.

No matter what, it's clear that a pieced together system is the only way to go. But I may be able to get away with mostly off the shelf items and limit custom made pieces to a minimum.

go-autoworks looks like a quite a place....Alabama isn't that far...I guess.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont even think alot of modification would be needed with a tubular log and an internally gated gt28, with the flip up fibreglass front end u have a little more room. dont buy a kit, buy the manifold and turbo and thats it. everything else will be custom. i would absolutely love to get my hands on your car and do this for you.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VTEC+Mini
With flip up fiberglass front end I'm going to pickup Friday. I think there is a good chance a Honda cast manifold will fit. If it puts the turbo down and to the drivers side it can displace the A/C compressor. Which is where it looks like the over priced kit puts it. I apologize if the additional thread is a no, no. I just wanted folks to see the manifold and turbo. I guess I should have much more clearly stated that.

This car runs higher RPM than normal for a B18 most of the time. I use a 3.47 FD and with 13 inch tires it turns just short of 3300 RPM at 70 MPH.

That being the case, I would expect that could influence which turbo to buy. A GT28 may be more appropriate than a GT25. My assumption is that a ball bearing turbo would be superior in all sorts of ways than a non B/B.

Because I don't want to crack open the engine I understand that I don't want more than 5 to 7psi before bad things could happen. So with all of that in mind, turbo lag may be less of an issue.

No matter what, it's clear that a pieced together system is the only way to go. But I may be able to get away with mostly off the shelf items and limit custom made pieces to a minimum.

go-autoworks looks like a quite a place....Alabama isn't that far...I guess.
u cant think of things in psi, u gotta think of things in power. when u get tuned keep the power around 300 and you'll be perfectly fine.whether that be 2 psi or 20 psi it doesnt matter as long as u stay at 300 whp.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whiterice-gsr Thanks for the info. You're clearly the voice of experience.

Boosted_D Go-Autoworks looks like one of THE places for what I'm after. Thanks so much for their website!

The Hondata S300 looks very attractive.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Regardless of what manifold you choose to use, all your pipes/exhaust will have to be custom, otherwise you should be able to use off the shelf parts.

You seem fixed on a GT ball bearing turbo. That's fine as they are amazing turbo's, but you really dont need one for a 300 whp car. You can use a smaller journal bearing t3/t4b and get really good spool up as good as a BB, and pay 1/2 the price for the turbo.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my expertise is in custom fab, i know i could make this work relatively easily only because i have experience with minis and obviously hondas, if u were keeping the stock front end i would say no way but with the removal of the a/c and the fibreglass flip up this will take some massaging but nothing serious. if i were u i would buy the manifold and turbo then go to a reputable hot rod builder or custom fab shop and have them make everything else u need. its basically just plumbing for exhaust and intake. if i had 2 days with your car that would be more than enough time to do all the plumbing. everything else like injectors and vacuum lines and so on u can easily handle on your own. take a look at a go autoworks tubular log or as shodan suggested a spoolin performance tubular log. they are about the same size as cast but flow a hell of alot better. btw hondata is something im going after soon but for now u can just chip your ecu, when its time talk to a tuner before u start buying electronics.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted_D
Lets break this down real quick man....

-Custom made mini ram manifold $600- You can have this done by many people/companies, talk to go-autoworks, you take some basic measurments for clearance's, and they build a manifold for you.

-Precision entry line turbo of your choice - $600 Can't do this... There no internally gated setups that will use the GT style V-band needed for the most compact fitment
-Tial wastegate- $300 Internal gate, remember?
-Tial BOV- $250
-Oil lines- $100
-boost gauge- $50
-ebay intercooler- $100 REALLY?? C'mon.. this isn't your run of the mill kid here
- Intercooler clamps and couplers- $50
- Have local exhaust shop build custom charge pipes/ down pipe
If they just do plain old crush bent 2.5" It should only cost about
-down pipe- $150
-charge pipes- $200
- This is ridiculous. Crush bent piping on a custom mini? The man does have some standards here.
-New injectors any size you want- $300
-chipped ecu ready for tuning- $150 Unless he already has an OBD1 ECU
- professional dyno tune- $500

That's $3250, plan for somewhere between $250 to $750 for incidentals. This will vary depending on what you run into on your car.

That's $3500 to $4000 for an awesome custom turbo set up that has proper engine managment.

Now do it!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to Go Auto and get a kit from them. Their basic street kit is much better, has more capable turbos, external Tial wastegate, Tial BOV and none of that random stuff you dont need like Map unit (Black box) and their junk preprogramed High Performance Fuel Management System as they put it. Other than the turbo kit all you need it injectors, fuel pump and tuning. You will also save over a $1000 with the Go Auto kit.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM

Whiterice-gsr Thanks for the info. You're clearly the voice of experience.

Boosted_D Go-Autoworks looks like one of THE places for what I'm after. Thanks so much for their website!

The Hondata S300 looks very attractive.
Please use the tubular log manifold similar to that of the "tuner kit" and not the "street kit". Remember to tell Go-Autowerks to not have the manifold externally gated. In a T25 flanged turbine inlet. Your downpipe will be custom. I can help you with turbocharger and adapter choice.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. I see that the kit he posted up has an internal gate, but I was not aware that ab internal gate was NEEDED for this set up as that is not stated anywhere in this post.

2. If you use the right elbow, you can make an external gate work in any cramped space that an internal will fit.

3. Crush bent pipes might be sub standard by your means, but they work and dont cost a fortune when you need all custom. You can still make 400+ hp on crush bent pipes, and they can be powder coated or painted and look all shiney for the ricers if thats necessary.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM

This is a custom Mini with a vtec engine and only about 8 inches of room from the top to underneath. He does not need an external elbow. For his needs, an external gate is not necessary, and is unrestrictive. The internal gate takes up literally takes up over 1/2 of the space needed for his cramped needs.

A person with a custom mini+VTEC is an entirely different realm of modification in which cleanliness is next to godliness. I'm not going to assume by any means that the OP is "rich", in which the sky is the limit to budget, however, I think its safe to infer that going this "cheaper" route on crush bent "custom" piping is not going to be in his best interest.

I'm not trying to be on a high horse here. but there's no need to give substandard alternatives, when he hasn't fully understood the best options yet. I've modified a few VTEC minis before in Texas.. There is no crush bent anything in those cars. And that picture the op gave does not give his space limitations any justice.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've written Go-Autoworks. I'm hoping they're interested in talking to me and then doing the major fab work.

TheShodan....you're right about the VTEC-Mini realm. Nothing is half a$$ed. This car is stupid fast, handles like a go cart and looks like you could eat off it....it also gets almost 40 mpg, no matter how I drive it.
I've got a list made of what you have recommended and I will mention all of it and report back what they say.
The turbocharger installation has to be done right...which is why I hire out the parts of this that I can't handle. I'm fortunate that I'm in a position I can do that. However, I'm sure there is something wrong with my left frontal temporal lobe.

I'm going to have to keep my NYC opinions in check. Go-Autoworks is in Alabama and I once wrote a paper that claimed the best thing to come out of the South was William Tecumseh Sherman. (I'm the IT director at a university)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres no reason he cant have mandrel 2.5" stainless. god i wish u were here i absolutely love these kind of projects. internal gate is def a must. honestly the charge pipe will be the most difficult to run but with a backdoor ic and some time spent on cutting angles its totally doable.

ive always been a huge fan of mini tecs, this is all possible without spending much more than most of us do on our setups. i would say 4-5000 bucks for a well thought out setup.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

never met greg before but everyone here speaks very highly of him, good luck man i hope u post pics and have a blast with your car.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:54 PM

I've written Go-Autoworks. I'm hoping they're interested in talking to me and then doing the major fab work.

TheShodan....you're right about the VTEC-Mini realm. Nothing is half a$$ed. This car is stupid fast, handles like a go cart and looks like you could eat off it....it also gets almost 40 mpg, no matter how I drive it.
I've got a list made of what you have recommended and I will mention all of it and report back what they say.
The turbocharger installation has to be done right...which is why I hire out the parts of this that I can't handle. I'm fortunate that I'm in a position I can do that. However, I'm sure there is something wrong with my left frontal temporal lobe.

I'm going to have to keep my NYC opinions in check. Go-Autoworks is in Alabama and I once wrote a paper that claimed the best thing to come out of the South was William Tecumseh Sherman. (I'm the IT director at a university)
Go-autowerks and Spoolin' will at least be able to get the manifold made for you in a fashion that will fit the T04B (Spoolin' does a lot of my T04B housing setups that mainly use internal wastegated system). T04B refers to the housing size in my example, and not the turbo itself.

And I'll say right off the bat that a T3 Super 60 will not do the trick that some may recommend. If you want the choices in detail, give me a PM. Trust me, I know what I'm doing on the Mini-VTEC guys..

Quick Reply: What do we think of this turbo kit?