Notices

What to do Vortech or Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do Vortech or Turbo???

hey guys i recetly asked yall which exhaust to get and i came to the concution that i shoud really decide if i was going to turbo my car first. So here is my question! I am going to be running a stock 2000 SI... no motor work.. but i want to either run a turbo with low boost... but have also heard impressive things about the Vortech supercharger on a stock motor... i was wondering what yall thought would be the best idea... remember all im going to do for the most part is exhaust, intake, computer, and eithier a turbo or supercharger... and i am Most concered about Reliablity! just want to be a little faster... Thanks for all your input about the ehxaust! Let me kwon what u think
Old 05-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (BlueSkivic)

Turbo
Old 05-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (96coupe)

well they are different do some reasearch
turbo =lot o power
supercharger = power and not as hard on mota
Old 05-20-2004, 09:50 PM

if youre keeping the internals stock, then supercharger.

no offense, but you sound like a nub, and probably couldnt handle a turbo
Old 05-20-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (ragerized)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ragerized &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre keeping the internals stock, then supercharger.

no offense, but you sound like a nub, and probably couldnt handle a turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man...

But the thing is that the vortech claims close to 270hp on a stock motor... or at least thats what i thought it said correct me if im wrong... and its sounds like many of the turbos unless u are willing to turn up the boost they arent as effective... is this not tru???
Old 05-20-2004, 10:12 PM

Properly sized, the turbo owns the supercharger in every way, smog is what the Vortec has in its favor. The Vortec doesn't make it's power as soon due to being belt driven, and needs rpms to make power, so it is a little easier on the engine in the midrange. Personally, I'd rather have a turbo with 30 less peak hp, and a better power curve if your trying to get compararable reliablity. A good kit like Revhard or better Full-Race will make ALOT of power. I for example run 300+ whp on a stock motor. You could run less boost, drive around with 225 whp, and be very happy. Engine management(Hondata, AEM, Etc), and tune are the most important.

Spend some time in the forum...READING. You will learn alot, and will probably make your decision for you.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:23 PM

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (Reilly)

[QUOTE=Reilly]
Spend some time in the forum...READING. You will learn alot, and will probably make your decision for you.
QUOTE]

I will defiently spend some time reading before I make my final decison. I was just trying to get a feel of what some people who had delt with this before had to say, and specifically related to my car. Thanks for the input. And as far as engine management I have heard that there is a guy in Houston that is really good with Hondata so I was thinking of going down there to get it tuned.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:25 PM

Turbo
Old 05-21-2004, 04:53 AM

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (9psiTurboSI)

Remember peak hp #'s aren't everything, If you look at a dyno of the Vortech, the dont make peak power until high in the rpm range, all the n00bs talk about turbo lag, but can we get a vortech lag

anyways they make peak #'s but the powerband isn't that great, atleast not what I'd want.

Do some more research, go with a Prefabbed kit to start (Revhard). good fuel management, and 9 psi and you'll be good to go.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:06 AM

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (quikB18B)

keep in mind that when adding a supercharger or a turbo, there is barely any increased wear on your motor. It's the increased power that's harder on your motor. You can add Forced Induction, drive gently for the next 300,000 miles and never have a problem, so in that sense the reliability is up to you. Superchargers actually tend to be harder on the motor (front main bearings, crank snout, etc.) A low boost turbo setup such as a greddy kit with proper tuning sounds like a good option for you.

In my experience, many turbo honda owners actually end up being easier on the motor in some ways after adding a turbo. I know personally that where I used to shift at redline 200 times a day because thats where the power was, now with boost I shift much lower, as I actually have some torque down low, you can get your acceleration fix much lower in the RPM ranges so you'll end up revving a lot less. This is assuming you don't spend a lot of time racing.

You may also want to consider nitrous as an option, assuming you have it tuned/setup properly, you can have a completely stock motor whenever you want, with the option for an extra boost if you are drag racing or whatever.
Just my $0.03

~james
Old 05-21-2004, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (ragerized)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ragerized &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre keeping the internals stock, then supercharger.

no offense, but you sound like a nub, and probably couldnt handle a turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

it sounds like you are a "nub". what difference would the motor being stock make for turbo or supercharger??
Old 05-21-2004, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (Gravy)

go turbo if you want your $ well spent
Old 05-21-2004, 07:42 AM

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (Gravy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gravy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it sounds like you are a "nub". what difference would the motor being stock make for turbo or supercharger??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i know that both turbos and superchargers like lower compression which i konw my car doesnt have. I guess the only reason i ask is that i have heard of alot of ppl bowing up there SIs with turbos trying to boost to much. And i guess i jsut wondered if the Vortech is really as impressive as Vortech says it is. So without lowering the compression or without building the motor would a turbo still be as safe?

And yes i am new... but i just want to make sure i do it right when i finally do it so i though i would start off askings some ppl who know what they are talking about to get started...

and i dont want to do nitrious b/c i want more power on a regular basis... i have had my car for over 3 years now and just want some more out of it...
Old 05-21-2004, 07:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueSkivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well i know that both turbos and superchargers like lower compression which i konw my car doesnt have</TD></TR></TABLE>
This actually isn't true. Given a set boost level..say 5psi to make it easy, you will make more power with higher compression, assuming no detonation. So for a low boost setup like you are planning, higher compression is better for power, but you will reach the limitations earlier. Lower compression will allow you to run higher boost levels given a similar setup and tuning.

You really dont need to worry about any of this though.

The SI's you are hearing about people blowing up could be for many reasons, but I'd bet my car that the majority are due to bad/lack of tuning.

With your stock compression, a turbo or supercharger both would be plenty safe, as I said earlier..it's all in your tuning. It is possible to blow up a motor at 5psi with bad tuning, and have the same motor run great at 11psi with different tuning.

Your best bet is to purchase a kit such as the greddy kit, and have it installed and tuned by a reputable shop.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:51 AM
12 Years Strong

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (B18C1CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go turbo if you want your $ well spent </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, turbo ownz
Old 05-21-2004, 07:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueSkivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I guess the only reason i ask is that i have heard of alot of ppl bowing up there SIs with turbos trying to boost to much. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats just owner error right there, put a boost controller in the wrong hands and Kabooooooomm!!!!!!

Also you have to remeber with turbo it's so much easier and tempting to turn the boost up as opposed to a Supercharger where you actually have to swap to a smaller pulley.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:10 AM

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (quikB18B)

Go Turbo, because your going to want more power eventually.

Spend a good amount of your money on your tuning and find a great tuner, and also engine management is probably the most important thing. Then, decide whether you want to piece together a kit or buy one all together.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:29 AM

OK so sounds like a turbo is the way to go... i would probally want to buy a complete kit i have heard a few ppl sugest differant kits... what is the Main thing to look for when looking at the differant options?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:32 AM

Really the main thing to worry about is your tuning. As the kits increase in price, from greddy to revhard to full race, etc.. the overall quality of the parts increases. All of the major kits have been tested again and again and contain a complete setup. Choose according to your pricerange / power goals, and remember to leave $$ left over for unexpected upgrades (clutch, plugs/wires, etc.) and most important $$ for tuning.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The main argument against the vortech is the power delivery (aka power under the curve). What you can do somewhat remedy this is to upgrade to a VERY large compressor and pully that will get you 10 lbs by4k rpms. Unlike turbos, you are not punished with lag time for going to big compressors. Why don't you get some ridiculously big compressor you can fit under the hood (something analagous to a t66?). This way you'll have plenty of power in your rpm band and better yet, your power delivery is less "uncoiled rubber band-esque."

Me, I have a 57 trim t3/t04

edit:grammer
Old 05-21-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (bruthaboost)

turbo ....piece it from ben @ importparts.com you can pick and choose a nice setup from that page they have.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:45 PM

Default Re: What to do Vortech or Turbo??? (Boofster)

for ben.

Go turbo man. You'll love yourself in the end. Also, a supercharger is kinda like halfway inbetween turbo and NA so might as well go turbo