Notices

What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine?

I did a search for this topic and couldn't find any so if i missed any topics on this, sorry.

Old 12-19-2002, 01:13 AM
New User

Default Re: What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine? (qwklude82)

Upon start up, set a high idle of 1500-2000rpm. You can do this by introducing a vaccum leak. I let it idle at that speed for 20 minutes. During this time, it's a great time to find any leaks you might have missed.

After that, I prefer to change the oil and filter. A magnetic drain plug is really help ful in this situation as well.

After you set the timing, bleed the coolant system, and do any and all other fluid type checks, go out and drive it easy for the first 100 miles, gradually increasing rpm, load, and throttle as you go. After that, I drive it up to a total of 600 miles of normal daily driving before commencing normal punishment Be sure to change the oil and filter again before doing so. This is just my way of doing it, works fine for me.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine? (VaporTrail)

Upon start up, set a high idle of 1500-2000rpm. You can do this by introducing a vaccum leak. I let it idle at that speed for 20 minutes. During this time, it's a great time to find any leaks you might have missed.

After that, I prefer to change the oil and filter. A magnetic drain plug is really help ful in this situation as well.

After you set the timing, bleed the coolant system, and do any and all other fluid type checks, go out and drive it easy for the first 100 miles, gradually increasing rpm, load, and throttle as you go. After that, I drive it up to a total of 600 miles of normal daily driving before commencing normal punishment Be sure to change the oil and filter again before doing so. This is just my way of doing it, works fine for me.
yup, also ... during the driving process, leave car in gear to rev down when coming to a stop or slowing down, as you slow down down shift each gear to not go over 1Krpm per 100 mile on motor, first 100 miles stay under 3Krpm ... these puts good load on the rings and helps seating dramatically.

Greg
Old 12-19-2002, 07:14 AM
New User

Default Re: What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine? (qwklude82)

Drive it the way it was built for. IE: You build a race engine, do a couple pulls on the highway in 3rd or 4th from 2000 to 4000, then a couple from 2000 to 6000, then a few more to redline. If its boosted, do it in series. IE: all three with low boost, then all three with medium boost, then all three with high boost. Never fails. Done this on several engines and they are still running as daily cars for the past couple years.

A slow easy break in "will work." But thats boring and if your engine is built right, it won't matter. The only thing you are trying to do here is get the rings to seat. Anything else should have been taken care of in the build. Unless of course, you have a crappy clutch that needs a million mile break in.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine? (GGrahnVI)

that's pretty much what we did. Built and threw the thing on the dyno. Haven't had any problems yet after 2 months and 4000 miles.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:23 AM
New User

Default Re: What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine? (autoEXturbo)

I let it idle high for about 20 minutes, then go drive it softly for 20 miles. Come back, oil and filter change, then take it back out. Drive 250 miles, adding throttle and rpm as you go...letting the rpm's go up and then deaccelerate and let them come down. Don't be too easy on the motor because you need load to get the rings to seal. After that you can just rape it...Personally I dont even wait those 250 miles. I idle for 20, drive around easy for 10 minutes then just start getting on it..you can feel it get faster each time you step on it because the rings are sealing as you drive..
Old 12-19-2002, 08:41 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine? (MaxBoost)

Is the only purpose sealing the rings when breaking in motors? Any other goals?
Old 12-19-2002, 10:21 AM
New User

Default Re: What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine? (Muckman)

Is the only purpose sealing the rings when breaking in motors? Any other goals?
Pretty much. Usually you are also seating clutches, and then there is the hard to describe "settling" where, little bugs make their way out. Thats why even though the rings are usually seated after 20-100 miles, I still take it easy.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:34 AM

Default Re: What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine? (VaporTrail)

I dont know this is what a reputable engine builder in my area told me, he said if its a daily driven vtec car, ie, gsr, lude whatever, it needs 20 minutes to warm up, at a higher rpm, forced vacum leak, then easy driving for the first 10 minutes or so, then moderate driveing next 10 minutes, then hard but not to redline, he told me never over 6k rpm in the first 100 miles, then you change the oil and coolant, then assume regular driving, but the weird thing he told me was to drive the **** around for the next 5000 miles under 6k rpms, while letting the motor warm up and cool down every time you drive it, i dont know he said he never had a problem with any customers **** that did that but if they boosted hardcore on it under 5k then he had problems.....tell me what you think
Old 12-22-2002, 12:22 PM

Default Re: What is the correct breakin procedure for a rebuilt engine? (DLOTYPER)

I dont know this is what a reputable engine builder in my area told me, he said if its a daily driven vtec car, ie, gsr, lude whatever, it needs 20 minutes to warm up, at a higher rpm, forced vacum leak, then easy driving for the first 10 minutes or so, then moderate driveing next 10 minutes, then hard but not to redline, he told me never over 6k rpm in the first 100 miles, then you change the oil and coolant, then assume regular driving, but the weird thing he told me was to drive the **** around for the next 5000 miles under 6k rpms, while letting the motor warm up and cool down every time you drive it, i dont know he said he never had a problem with any customers **** that did that but if they boosted hardcore on it under 5k then he had problems.....tell me what you think
5000 miles is along time w/out boost...i think you'd be fine if you break it in like vapor trail said, and increase about 500 rpms per couple hundred miles...

IE: 3k~first 100-150, 3500~250, 4k~350-400, 5k~etc...everybody has thier own routine though