Notices

what companies make a No. 2 rods? IE eagle is No. 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what companies make a No. 2 rods? IE eagle is No. 3

i took off my oil pan this morning and saw that all my rods are a number 2. i was hoping they were going to be a number 3 so i could throw some eagle rods on there. does eagle also make a number 2? if not, what companies make a number 2 rod?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what companies make a No. 2 rods? IE eagle is No. 3 (the.hamburglar)

Are you serious?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what companies make a No. 2 rods? IE eagle is No. 3 (Suprdave)

well ya, i have all number 2 rods right now, i dont really want to mess around with the bearings so if i can get number 2 forged rods that would be best. my bearings all look to be in good shape. no signs of wear at all. of course i will measure it all but im sure it will be fine
Old 02-17-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesnt work like that.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahaha
Old 02-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Buy whatever rod you like and then you worry about the bearing clearances. You can say that an eagle is No. 3. Just like honda rods you need to measure the clearances. 99% of the time you can take an aftermarket rod and use acl bearings and be just fine though. You could reuse your current bearing most likely too. Just measure the clearances.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18bEKcoupe)

whats the best way to do this? the green bearings are the thinest right? so just start with green then get thicker? i dont really want to use ACL bearings
Old 02-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (the.hamburglar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the.hamburglar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the best way to do this? the green bearings are the thinest right? so just start with green then get thicker? i dont really want to use ACL bearings</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats wrong with ACL bearings?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PHDZINE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHDZINE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whats wrong with ACL bearings?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just like knowing that i have the proper tolerances when revving to 9000. and i also read acl's dont last as long. ~10,000 miles
Old 02-17-2007, 12:36 PM

ACL's are quality bearing. That 10,000 mile thing is BS. The bearing should never be contacting the crank when running so there should be no wear and therefore they cant wear out. Nothing wrong with using either acl's or honda bearings. What is critical is making sure that the clearances are correct. Green bearings are actually in the middle as far as thickness goes. What i always do is order acl bearings and check the clearances with those. IF something is out of spec i would replace it with the appropriate honda bearing to put it in spec....ive never actually had an acl not fall within spec.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bEKcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ACL's are quality bearing. That 10,000 mile thing is BS. The bearing should never be contacting the crank when running so there should be no wear and therefore they cant wear out. Nothing wrong with using either acl's or honda bearings. What is critical is making sure that the clearances are correct. Green bearings are actually in the middle as far as thickness goes. What i always do is order acl bearings and check the clearances with those. IF something is out of spec i would replace it with the appropriate honda bearing to put it in spec....ive never actually had an acl not fall within spec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

becuase they only have regular and oversized. i dont want a loose bearing to decrease my oil pressure.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the code from the block and match them up to rod size 3 like the eagles are and you should be set.

just because your stock rods are all 2's doesnt mean you have to "mess around" with diffrent bearings. just pick the next size up and go from there.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the code from the block and match them up to rod size 3 like the eagles are and you should be set.

just because your stock rods are all 2's doesnt mean you have to "mess around" with diffrent bearings. just pick the next size up and go from there.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya i know what you mean but i dont want to have to buy new bearings when mine are fine....
Old 02-17-2007, 02:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the.hamburglar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just like knowing that i have the proper tolerances when revving to 9000. and i also read acl's dont last as long. ~10,000 miles</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used ACLs in my last motor for 60k and they still looked perfect. Needless to say im running them again now. Whoever told your that is full of ****, ACL makes a quality bearing.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueSi2k)

so it doesnt matter what number rods i have....i can just buy the regular sized bearings, slap em in, measure to make sure they are within tolerance and if so then its good to go? seems to easy...
Old 02-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Well your pretty set on what you want to do. Nobody is going to be able to give you the information that you want. Components aren't designed like this. You buy the components and then find bearings that are right for your clearances....its not possible to do it the other way around. I work in Base Engine Design for Marine Engines and we do the bearing color code system just like honda does. Your best bet is to buy the rods you want and a set of ACL bearings. You wont have overly loose bearings because of that. Many of the big engine builders on this forum use ACL bearings in all of their built motors. I believe Earl was one of them. I really need to do a write up about this.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Find an engine builder asap!
Old 02-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bEKcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well your pretty set on what you want to do. Nobody is going to be able to give you the information that you want. Components aren't designed like this. You buy the components and then find bearings that are right for your clearances....its not possible to do it the other way around. I work in Base Engine Design for Marine Engines and we do the bearing color code system just like honda does. Your best bet is to buy the rods you want and a set of ACL bearings. You wont have overly loose bearings because of that. Many of the big engine builders on this forum use ACL bearings in all of their built motors. I believe Earl was one of them. I really need to do a write up about this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know what you mean and im not arguing. but what doesnt make sense is that honda makes 4(?) color code bearings to specifically match each rod journal. but what doesnt make sense to me is that acl makes them so that "one size fits all". i do not see how this is possible. how can one size of acl bearings be good for every differnent combination of bearings. there is a reason why honda makes the colors.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:48 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the.hamburglar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya i know what you mean but i dont want to have to buy new bearings when mine are fine....</TD></TR></TABLE>

you want to cheap out on bearings when doing a build?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you want to cheap out on bearings when doing a build?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well when mine look perfectly fine yes. oem bearings are like $200
Old 02-17-2007, 03:28 PM
something different

have you assembled them with plastigauge to see if the are within spec?

Old 02-17-2007, 03:30 PM
something different

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the.hamburglar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so it doesnt matter what number rods i have....i can just buy the regular sized bearings, slap em in, measure to make sure they are within tolerance and if so then its good to go? seems to easy...</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, thats kinda the best way to do it.

the couple sets of ACL bearings i've assembled recently were PERFECT in spec. right at the middle end of spec..
Old 02-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're just saying that ACL bearings usually fit with Eagle rods. It's not always the case, you need to measure it to make sure. My motor just went together last week and the ACL bearings were too tight (Eagle rods and crank). Phantasm in Raleigh let me rummage through their main bearings and JDogg (he's got the blingtastic Mitutoyo bearing micrometer) found a set of Clevites that were the right size for my application. I could have used Honda bearings too if they had a set that fit right, but the Clevites will work fine.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense man but your opinions on ACL bearings are as ignorant as your engine building practices. Building motors isnt as cookie cutter as matching numbers up. You need to measure.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:56 PM
something different

Default Re: (Muckman)

exactly.. do it right

Quick Reply: what companies make a No. 2 rods? IE eagle is No. 3