Notices

What affects spool more, A/R or wheel size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What affects spool more, A/R or wheel size?

Just wondering what causes a turbo to be "laggy"? Take for instance a gt35 with the .82 turbine vs a t3t67 with the .82 housing. The gt35 does have a 60ish mm compressor wheel and the t3t67 is a 67? I am wondering if the jump would be worth it and not loose too much mid range power?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What affects spool more, A/R or wheel size?

IMO the wheel has more of an effect than the A/R, the difference betweem the two turbo's isnt even 100whp so thats your call if its worth it or not. The T67 should spool slower either way.

I would never run a t3/t67 again with all the billet wheel stuff running around, just not worth it...

The T67 comes in 2 different turbine options (stg5-Ptrim) so your going to have to further elaborate on what wheel your looking at... either one will make 600hp but 700 is a stretch.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Both.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With the budget I am on I cannot afford anything billet anytime soon (just bought a house). I got this turbo brand new for $300. As far as the turbine wheel it measures 64mm 74mm. I would like to make upper 600's with my sleeved motor that has been put on hold. Just looking for input from people and you two guys are the kind of people I'm looking for.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no problems spooling my t67 .82 hotside. It all depends on how much horsepower you wanna run, or if you want to run lower amounts of boost to make bigger numbers. The 35r is the spooling beast, but even then a 30r will be sufficient to a certain horsepower and spool even faster. What power range you want
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Currently with the gt35 it made 310 on 9psi. I would like to get it on the car and re-tune at that boost level for the here and now and hopefully finish up my sleeved block over the winter and shoot for the 600's. The reason I want to get the t67 on is because my gt35 is smoking now after 50k miles or so. Just wondering how much difference will I see being that the housings are the same just one has a bigger comp wheel.

EFPhily, how do you like driving around with it? I would like to know more info on your set up if you don't mind. Just looking for experiences with this turbo and the occasional street use.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

By your measurements it would appear like you have the p-trim wheel, which is a T4 wheel stuffed inside a T3 housing and called a t3/t67h.o.

I ran the same turbo, it gets the job done but it is by no means going to be responsive like a GT35, I made like 14psi at 5200 ad 25+ by 6k with a bb t3/t67ho and a ramhorn.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The wheel measures close to the same as my gt35's turbine wheel does. I don't know exactly because I don't have a digital caliper just an old one. It will go on an inlinepro dual drilled stainless manifold with a full 3" exhaust if it matters on how it will spool.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LS AzZkIkr
Currently with the gt35 it made 310 on 9psi. I would like to get it on the car and re-tune at that boost level for the here and now and hopefully finish up my sleeved block over the winter and shoot for the 600's. The reason I want to get the t67 on is because my gt35 is smoking now after 50k miles or so. Just wondering how much difference will I see being that the housings are the same just one has a bigger comp wheel.

EFPhily, how do you like driving around with it? I would like to know more info on your set up if you don't mind. Just looking for experiences with this turbo and the occasional street use.
Glad you got that much use out of the 35r...50K miles....good shizznit.

Mine is the precision H.O. t3/t67, yes. My engine is a 1.9L GSR block, 9:1 CP pistons, and eagle rods. Stock b16 head that is currently getting port and polished to help increase spool time. Im running open downpipe cut off at the firewall. I think I get a faster spool than the ramhorn because Im using a cast manifold.

I still think that for street use it is a little overkill. I drive it daily and I mean it sounds great, lots of power, drives itself at constant rpm (like freeway)...but down low it is a little laggy at part throttle. I find myself having to give it a little more gas and using a little more gas than normal turbos, but eh its still a t67. Overall, I havent even started using this turbo because last season was only 8 pounds. I got 8 pounds very fast, but I heard that these turbos take a while longer to build more boost like 20 pounds. Ill be running 16 pounds this season and cant wait to see what it does...ill be taking it to the dyno once the head is done!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have read that a t37 will spool substantually slower than a gt3582r. There is really not too much Hp differance between the 2 turbos. All the new technology makes more power and spools faster.

With all the new billet wheels i would never run an old non billet wheel larger t series turbo.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know if I can buy a billet compressor wheel of the same size and swap them out? I measured this turbo and a friends pte6765 and they have the same sized wheels. That would be a hell of an upgrade I think.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can upgrade your turbo to a billet wheel unit. but it isnt much less money than just buying a billet unit brand new
Old 03-24-2011, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought this turbo brand new out of the box for $300 and have receipt. Do you have a link to where I can price them?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

I bought this turbo brand new out of the box for $300 and have receipt. Do you have a link to where I can price them?
Billet 67mm wheels don't grow on trees. Even for those that make them, like Precision or Comp turbo, the turbocharger has to be sent in (if they are willing to do it). Just because they seem to have the same general inducer spacing and size, doesn't mean that there isn't any machinging of your housing on the interior volute. That machining is needed so that the contour of the blade design between the inducer/exducer can fit the backplate correctly. It would then need to be rebalanced with the new wheel in place

You can find all the cool little wheels on e-bay all you want. It's still not a bolt and play affair.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow thanks for the attitude man... I am merely asking a question on a tech forum. I have been pricing turbos for about a year and I couldn't find a billet turbo new or used for under $600. Since I got the turbo brand new for $300 I would spend the money to ship it to precision or whomever can do this conversion. I would rather have $700 in a brand new turbo than $500 on a used one. The ebay comment I don't quite understand unless people sell knock off billet wheels on there.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my t3/t67 for a mere 400 dollars off a friend with 100 miles on it.

TheShodan is the man btw...he is not giving you an attitude rather he spends all his days messing with turbos at work, so he was just being stern. He knows exactly what he is talking about and the pricing....

I have a non billet in mine and I dont see why everyone hates these turbos.....I have heard very good things about the Holsets (with same horsepower rating) spooling faster than the t67....I forget the size....someone might chime in...
Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know he is one of the most knowledgeable people on this board and is one of the people I was hoping would respond and help. I appreciate and respect his advice but damn. Why act like I am some dumb *** kid that just wants to bolt on a billet wheel off ebay and be super kool like everyone else.

Now that I realize what all is needed to make this happen I may as well just spend the extra money to get a new billet turbo. It just burns me up when people make assumptions someone like they are just some idiot.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM

I know he is one of the most knowledgeable people on this board and is one of the people I was hoping would respond and help. I appreciate and respect his advice but damn. Why act like I am some dumb *** kid that just wants to bolt on a billet wheel off ebay and be super kool like everyone else.

Now that I realize what all is needed to make this happen I may as well just spend the extra money to get a new billet turbo. It just burns me up when people make assumptions someone like they are just some idiot.
There was no insult intended, so my apologies if I seem blunt. This is just a webforum in the end, after all. I just tend to answer further questions in advance in order to limit the number of back-and-forth secondary questions that are asked. Believe me, I have a helluva sense of humor, but I don't make assumptions about anyone, hence my to-the-point attitude.

Buck-up,man. You're alright. ;-)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I seem to have misunderstood what you were trying to say. Thank you for clearing that up.

So back on topic. I measured both of the exhaust wheels today and they are the same size. That being said and the only difference in the turbos is the size of the compressor wheel and trims, how much more lag may I experience? From some videos and people that have these turbos and similar say that they really aren't that bad for drag use. They say that just driving around feels like being N/A. I am fine with that I just don't want a power band that is 2k rpm long.

My car made peak power at 7300 and peak torque at 6300. Could that possibly change more than a few hundred rpm higher? I am really not trying to rev to the moon with this motor since it has about 50k on it and over 1k hits on the track and street. I have had it in my car for 3+ years now and don't know when I can finish up my sleeved block.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:32 PM

I seem to have misunderstood what you were trying to say. Thank you for clearing that up.

So back on topic. I measured both of the exhaust wheels today and they are the same size. That being said and the only difference in the turbos is the size of the compressor wheel and trims, how much more lag may I experience? From some videos and people that have these turbos and similar say that they really aren't that bad for drag use. They say that just driving around feels like being N/A. I am fine with that I just don't want a power band that is 2k rpm long.
Well, unfortunately, that's about the powerband you're going to get with one of these, be it the billet or the cast Inconel wheel. Driving around feels like N/A (with low compression) because with such a big turbo, you'll be out of its efficiency range. It will just be like you're crawling down the street. When the turbo comes on at about 5000rpms, it will be a bit uncontrollable. But, give it a shot..
Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is really similar to how it is now with the gt35. I am only running it on low boost right now anyway. The motor is 9.6 compression ratio now and when driving it around it builds 7 psi by 4500. If it spools slower by 500 or so rpm I will be fine with that. That is how it was when I had a ram horn on the car. I didn't really like that too much. I didn't have it on but for 2 or 3 months I think due to it cracking constantly. Once i get the sleeved motor done the car will be a mostly drag car that I drive on the street.

I do wonder though how a set of itr cams would do in comparison to the gsr cams I have now. Would I have to rev the motor past 8500? everyone I know that has those cams revs to 9k or higher.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 AM

For the method of driving that you perform at such a low pressure level, you're not going to feel any difference switching to type Rs. "revving" to 8500-9000rpms won't really help you in this situation.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But if by changing to the t67 shifts where my motor makes power wouldn't it be a good idea to change cams to something that compliments the power band? The head on my motor is the one I will be using for the sleeved block. From my understanding and what I have been told, itr cams will improve my mid range power as well as top end. Would this possibly affect how fast the t67 would spool?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GringoTeg made a big gain in a low boost/stock motor app going from GSR to ITR's and had a dyno overlay to prove it.....GSR Cams can easily make power to 9k and beyond, I used them and was extremely happy with them but I wish I would of had ITR's.

You wont see much midrange gains with ITR cams the gains are pretty much 6k to redline.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM

His stock motor app was over 10.0:1. Not 9.6:1. I'm not saying wouldn't make a difference ever, i'm saying that with such a large turbo for such a low boost pressure, any changes will be minimal based upon his driving habits.

Quick Reply: What affects spool more, A/R or wheel size?