Went to Super Autobacs today...I could kick myself!...hard!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to Super Autobacs today...I could kick myself!...hard!

Well, it was the perfect day for a dyno....the weather was nice and cold and the air very crisp and dry.

Tons of cars were there waiting to get dyno'd and there was a 3 hour wait. There was an Altezza meeting with about 10 members, all with Altezza's, all dyno'ing.

I registered to dyno. The last time I dyno'd was last summer in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity, and my car made 293whp (see sig). I figured that today I would make at least 10 to 15 more horses.

Serveral cars were before me: a white plain looking Altezza, a blue Altezza with manufacturer stickers all over it...etc...btw the white Altezza made 175whp and the blue one with al the stickers made 150...go figure.

Next was an S2000...again with tons of manufature stickers and a huge GT wing. A lot of people gathered around to see this one. I heard some people whispering that this guy spent around $10k NA tuning this car and to expect close to 300whp at the wheels.

Results: he made 193whp. Apparently most of the cash went into looks.

Next was a Nissan March...yeah, thats right, a March! And boy did it make a racket. It really had a very loud exhaust that literally rattled the whole store! I figured 150whp at most...it made 85whp.

I was last and looking forward to it. I figured at least 295 if not over 300WHP. But I did something REALLY stupid and I am still kicking myself for it. Before the car went on the dyno, I set the Profec B for 1.0kg (up 0.4kg from my last dyno) I figured that my new 560cc injectors will compensate for the extra pressure. What I failed to realize is that the even though the injectors could the extra pressure, the maps were not tuned to do 1.0kg.

The car went on the dyno and made very impressive jumps and bounces off of the dyno rollers...I smiled thinking that this car is really hauling...then I look at the graph....175whp@5500 rpms! WTF! I called over the dude doing the dyno...

Hey, is my boost con. set for high boost??
Uhhh...yeah looks like it...the gauge is reading 1.0kg even

Dyno'd again...slight gain 178whp@5,500rpms (max HP)

I got the print of the graph:
5500 178
6000 169
6500 163
7000 155
7500 160
8000 170

WTF! I am losing power!

They both happened at 5500rpms...so I thought about it, thats the point when my VTEC kicks in. Secondly I am at 1bar instead of .8bar. The weather is colder, and finally my PFC read severe knocking at 5500 rpms and up...DAMN ..I turned up the boost too much!!

On the way home I turned it back down to .6 and the car totally pulled and lost traction at 5500 and did it all the way to 8000. So it was my stupid over-zealous mistake...gotta go back to the dyno next week..DAMN!

BTW...I will post pics tomorrow...too tired and pissed now.

Modified by MiraiZ at 8:49 PM 2/16/2004
Old 02-15-2004, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to Super Autobacs today...I could kick myself!...hard! (MiraiZ)

thats sux, but atleast you didnt blow anything up!
Old 02-15-2004, 07:23 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

did you pick up an application for the Altezza club?
Old 02-15-2004, 07:27 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (falconGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falconGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you pick up an application for the Altezza club?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 02-15-2004, 08:08 AM

Default Re: (kaj)

possibly slight det.???

If you knew the map wasnt tuned for 14psi why did you turn it up that high?
Old 02-15-2004, 08:45 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (30psi Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 30psi Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">possibly slight det.???

If you knew the map wasnt tuned for 14psi why did you turn it up that high?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you're referring to his tune, it should be fine no matter how much boost he was running... a tune is a tune, doesn't matter how many psi you're runnin'.
i believe he was talking about his MAP sensor. if that, too, is what you were talking about.... then nevermind.. pretend this post doesn't exist haha
Old 02-15-2004, 08:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you're referring to his tune, it should be fine no matter how much boost he was running... a tune is a tune, doesn't matter how many psi you're runnin'.
i believe he was talking about his MAP sensor. if that, too, is what you were talking about.... then nevermind.. pretend this post doesn't exist haha</TD></TR></TABLE>
map sensor? are you really that big of an idiot?
well at least you didn't hurt your motor .. let us know what you make next week
Old 02-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (B18bEK)

Wow, you're lucky you didn't blow something up. Careful man.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:22 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18bEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18bEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
map sensor? are you really that big of an idiot?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

apparently so.
it sounded like he was referring to his map sensor not reading the boost. i thought it sounded strange, but not knowing his set up, i was assuming his tune would handle what he wanted to do... especially with 560cc injectors. even i hit over 300whp with 550s. it's my understanding that my tune works the same no matter how much boost or power i put out. with our tunes we can raise and lower the boost all we want. no need to make new maps for different boost settings. my only limitation is my fuel supply (and the motor holding up, of course) which i figured he had taken care of.
so i guess i misunderstood what he was saying. hey, but at least you brought it to my attention in such a nice way, huh? ***
Old 02-15-2004, 09:50 AM

If it is a ap sensor problem (ie. running stock map) then that is probably it but also his tune would only be for that boost pressure anything above that I doubt whoever tuned it worried about it because he wasnt running that pressure, and Yes pressure does matter when you are tunning a car sense that is what you tune by.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:51 AM

hehe no prob.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:15 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (30psi Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 30psi Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it is a ap sensor problem (ie. running stock map) then that is probably it but also his tune would only be for that boost pressure anything above that I doubt whoever tuned it worried about it because he wasnt running that pressure, and Yes pressure does matter when you are tunning a car sense that is what you tune by.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i see.
so, with my hondata, i have to run the boost that my car was tuned at? 'cause we raise/lower our boost settings all day long.
i thought that hondata keeps the a/f, timing, etc within the same tolerances, no matter what boost setting i run......... interesting.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:19 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i see.
so, with my hondata, i have to run the boost that my car was tuned at? 'cause we raise/lower our boost settings all day long.
i thought that hondata keeps the a/f, timing, etc within the same tolerances, no matter what boost setting i run......... interesting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

as long as you are tuned within that colum of the map...
Old 02-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mpir3)

hold the phone...y'all are putting words in my mouth now and I don't appreciate being called an idiot for something I didn't do. I have a 3 bar map sensor thats capable of reading 2 bars of boost.

The problem was is that the 1bar part of the map was not configured for the right fuel setting. I had forgotten that my car was tuned up to .8BAR because by old injectors weren't capable of supplying enough fuel for 1BAR.

I had assumed that my tuner tuned it to dump fuel for anything after 0.8...but she didn't...she left it as the base settings.....so I need to go back with the 0.8 settings and try again...

Please don't assume to know whay happened...this is how stupid rumors start foating around.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Went to Super Autobacs today...I could kick myself!...hard! (MiraiZ)

Can't wait to see the pics! Good luck on the new dyno
Old 02-15-2004, 01:26 PM
New User

whoa... lucky you didnt blow your motor.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:14 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SIK IN DA HED)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whoa... lucky you didnt blow your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

:werd: cool nothing really bad happened.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (MiraiZ)

Theres female tuners in japan? thats cool
Old 02-15-2004, 02:18 PM

haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

come again
Old 02-15-2004, 04:40 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gritsak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gritsak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

come again</TD></TR></TABLE>

long story
Old 02-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got time
Old 02-15-2004, 06:44 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (freakie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by freakie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got time </TD></TR></TABLE>

just my misunderstanding how my car was tuned and what MiraiZ's original post meant. scroll up.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah...Larry's pistons are amazing...they really held through the abuse. Had this been a stock setup, I would have been walking home. Just goes to show, there's no sustitute for a good engine build (knock wood)
Old 02-16-2004, 01:57 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah...Larry's pistons are amazing...they really held through the abuse. Had this been a stock setup, I would have been walking home. Just goes to show, there's no sustitute for a good engine build (knock wood)</TD></TR></TABLE>

you got sleeves too?
Old 02-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The pics...sorry they're huge! no time to trim:

The Altezza club

Super ricey JDM RX-8

The "wannabe 300whp" all motor S2000

The batteries...are these any good?

Finally, the earth shattering 1000db 85whp Nissan March

Modified by MiraiZ at 8:34 PM 2/16/2004

Quick Reply: Went to Super Autobacs today...I could kick myself!...hard!