Notices

weird smoke issue, turbo seals or return line? help me figure out please

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird smoke issue, turbo seals or return line? help me figure out please

to keep things short,

when i drive for a while like on the freeway it smokes when i come to a stop, the longer i drive in high revs the more it smokes when i come to a stop. but it goes away right when i start moving again or even if i rev it.

in light to light traffic nothing comes out... maybe like a trickle of smoke, again only when i come to a stop

--there is no oil leaking from the center section or drain flange or anything.

--i do see oil coming out of my compressor inlet and im sure there is some in the DP

--doesnt smoke on start up or driving... just when i come to a stop

-- -3 line with restrictor and -10 drain

-- it has smoked more since i switch to full synthetic oil 10w30, i was running vr1 50wt it didnt do it as much then

--drain line is a bit weird.... turbo sits off to the side so my return line goes straight down for about a good 8 inches then goes almost completely horizontal for a good foot

--open crank case ventilation

--h22 motor

-- compression and leakdown was good

seems like a drain problem to me, but would like more input... ive blown out a turbo before and it smoked non stop... it wasnt like this
Old 05-16-2006, 09:21 PM

Default Re: weird smoke issue, turbo seals or return line? help me figure out please (booja)

yeah it sounds like a drain problem, you'd be surprise how easy it is for oil to back up in the drain line especially if you have any sudden changes in direction. It sounds to me like that 'foot' of horizontal hose is the culpret, your drain line should be a smooth drop right into the pan with no uphill travel or 90 degree bends. The reason why it is smoking is because the oil is getting backed up all the way to the housing and since it has no where to go it escapes out the 'seals' and gets burnt up by the exhaust housing and heat.

post up some pics of the drain line, maybe theres and easy solution....
Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope its the drain, my friend is trying to fix it for me right now...

cuz im sellin the car this weekend too and i would like it to stop smoking... it just looks bad. boosts just fine though