Notices

weird scraping or grinding

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird scraping or grinding

ok, get this, i finished up getting in the new clutch and swapping in a new tranny for my boosted z6. this is the third time i've done this so i'm sure i haven't overlooked anything. while in neutral and revving there is no problem. while rolling with the clutch in there is not problem. while on the gas in gear there is no problem, in or out of boost. now if i drive a little and get off the gas but stay in gear, there is a patterned light scraping noise. it doesnt sound like anything terrible but is definitely noticeable and kind of sounds like brakes dragging against warped rotors, where the repetitive scrape isn't constant, just when two certain spots make contact. if i clutch in while off the gas the sound goes away. if i'm rolling and slowly let out the clutch the sound comes back. i was thinking maybe the clutch is just rubbing weird against the flywheel or needed time to break in. this would be great news but i've never heard anything like this before. can anyone help? i'm dying to up the boost and hit the track!!! thanks

-alan
Old 06-18-2003, 06:54 AM

Default Re: weird scraping or grinding (Pengo)

nothing huh? thanks to those who looked anyway
Old 06-18-2003, 08:29 AM

ok i've done more research and got it down to either loose pp bolts, which i will check this afternoon, a bad pilot bearing, or a bad input shaft bearing. i didnt replace the pilot bearing with a new one but i'm starting to rule that out since the old one never scraped under these conditions.

will i have to open up the tranny to replace the input shaft bearing or can i take it to a tranny shop and have them just pull it? if its just loose bolts on the pp or something simpler i'll be grateful since i dont feel like pulling the damn tranny again.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're still gonna have to pull the tranny out to do the pressure plate bolts.

Did you torqued down to specs ? I use loctite on mine, FYI

stan
Old 06-18-2003, 10:08 AM

Default Re: weird scraping or grinding (Flamenco-T)

yea i torqued them all down properly, in order, and their still tight (i checked today by removing my starter and rotating the crank over by hand to get to each bolt.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are Pilot and Throwout bearing same?

I think its probably your throwout bearing.

I used crush washers on my pp to make sure the bolts don't come loose but I can get them off if I ever need to.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:02 PM

Default Re: weird scraping or grinding (mike1114)

nah the pilot bearing is the one that you have to take the flywheel off to get to and the throwout bearing is the one on the tranny's input shaft that the fork pushes out when u step on the clutch pedal.

it can't be the throwout bearing because then it would make the sound when the clutch is disengaged and i'm stepping on the pedal. i put the car up on stands today and put it into gear and just let it run, which is when i usually get the sound. sure enough i can still hear it and its definitely coming from the tranny. checked the pressure plate bolts today and their tight.

i'm debating on whether i should find out how much a tranny shop will charge to change the input shaft bearing or if i'll just sell this cheap to someone who can fix it themselves and pick up another tranny for myself. even if the shop doesnt charge alot, i'd hate to pull the tranny again, have the shop do their thing, and then put it on just to find out it wasnt the real problem.

damn i'll have to wait yet longer to go to the track again