Notices

We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged.

Seriously. I didn't know where to put this, so if the mods feel like moving it, that's fine.

First of all... (loud scream) AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Now, swearing...(also loud) %*&$ *%0944 +_)(* 234324 DUFUS **&@WAD...

I got another head today for my mini-me. First one showed up rolling around loose, with the intake in an enormous box, nothing to protect either item from beating each other up or smashing the cold air intake that was in loose with the head (are you kidding me???). The intake and the head beat the crap out of each other, and smashed everything else in the box. Bent some valves, beat up the head so bad the machinist is convinced it won't seal, even if we take 60-100 off of it.

Second one showed up today. I made a HUGE deal about correctly packaging it, so it would arrive safely. "oh yea, not a problem, I'm not stupid, I'll pack that crap out of it".

I open the box. One layer of bubble wrap around the head, and put in the box, that's it. First thing I see is plastic and broken sensors. I'm to pissed to open the rest of it up... Give me a few minutes to cool down... I'll get to it and check the rest of the carnage...

SERIOUSLY.... we need a tutorial on how to correctly ship things like this. there's no way I'm the only guy to have this problem with people. I might, however, be the only guy to get 2 in a ROW.

*UGH*
Old 11-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged. (vectorsolid)

refund? buy local?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged. (Toda Party)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Toda Party &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">refund? buy local?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No way to buy local, I'm in the middle of nowhere Montana. I sent the guy some pics... Again... I'm sure I'm out...AGAIN. But we'll see.

You cannot even imagine my level of disgust and disappointment. I dunno, maybe you can. if you can, I feel for ya.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged. (vectorsolid)

A classic in shipping history......

SHIPPING 102 (write up by Hotrex)
« on: February 13, 2004, 12:05:57 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well heres my 6 steps to shippig suscess.

1SWEET TALK THE BUYER. make a shitty item sound mint in order to sink your hooks in..

2. REALIZE YOU LEFT THE PART IN ANOTHER STATE

3 2 WEEKS LATER, SCRAMBLE TO PACKAGE THE ITEM in this step you want to find the shittiest box possible to put the item in. rush pack it with old newspaper.

4. IT'S 5 OCLOCK YOU MISSED USPSnow put the item in the corner and go back to college 2 hrs away and send buyer a email saying "its on the way"

5. 2 WEEKS LATER YOU FINALLY SHIPafter many harassing pms and emails the item goes out. you assure the buyer one last time the item will be there in 3 days, but since you send it via sleddog for 99 cents, itll arrive in 2 - 6 weeks..

6.STOP ANSWERING EMAILS by now your a month in at least, and your fatigued. your nerves might start getting to you followed by slight remorse. you stay satisfied you made out good ont he deal cause the part was either damaged or defective and worth nothing.. now scour the want ads for someone else to sell too.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged. (stealthmode62

is he still alive? LOL. He used to make me chuckle.(probably because I never bought anything from him)
Old 11-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged. (stealthmode62

Same thing happened to me last year. I bought an H22 head....three weeks no head. Finally after the emails ensued, I receive a box with my head inside. That's it....a box...with a head inside. Dude took a box, dumped the parts and the head inside, and shipped it. Cams were all tore up, stuff was missing, nicks all through the head. Ridiculous.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same thing happened to me last year. I bought an H22 head....three weeks no head. Finally after the emails ensued, I receive a box with my head inside. That's it....a box...with a head inside. Dude took a box, dumped the parts and the head inside, and shipped it. Cams were all tore up, stuff was missing, nicks all through the head. Ridiculous.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My first head was just like that. Only also included a cold air intake... I feel your pain. Here's my first shipment, check it out. Sounds just like your shipment:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2132499

Dude, we're bonding...

Go build me a manifold already... ...lol...
Old 11-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that happen too, with a very reputable shop, they wrapped a couple of pieces of bubble wrap around a ported/built head and put it in a box, then shipped it from the west coast to the east coast. Of course it got the **** beat out of it, I saw mauled intake and exhaust studs poking out of ragged holes in the box when it arrived. Luckily it was salvageable, but I think that shops don't understand how badly heavy boxes get tossed around in shipment. On the bright side, I got a big box of parts yesterday from CA and it was packed with expanding foam over sheets of plastic, everything was intact and immobile, very nice packaging, so apparently some people get it.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:24 AM
vestalfootball72

I have a b16 head for sale...

when it sells, Im going to make a tutorial on the proper way to ship a cylinder head, or anything for that matter lol
Ive shipped 4 out from east to west coast no issues-
First i make sure that all the cam caps and the cams are in the head, and tight- if its loose itl knock around
Then i wrap it up real good with bubble wrap under the VC, and tape off each port, as well as the bottom of the head with a peice of cardboard, so nothing can happen to it. Next is layers of bubble wrap.
Next i put it into a box that is pretty snug around the head. fill it up so when i lift it and shake nothing moves
Followed by getting a slightly larger box and putting it into there with packaging material-
the goal is to make sure it wont make any noise when you shake it

Goodluck on a head man
file a paypal claim
Old 11-17-2007, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i purchased a b16 off of a member on here and was extremely satisfied how it came shipped. IMO this is the ONLY way really to secure something that heavy.
He took some 2x4's and made a base for it. Just a normal box a little longer and wider than the head and put screws in the areas where the head studs would go through so it cant slide around on the wood. Then stapled and taped a box around the top. The box was a little beat from USP, but the head was totally undamaged
Old 11-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pink insulation foam at Home Depot along with some shrink wrap works wonders and is cheap as hell. I just bust the pieces I need, surround the big part with it, then shrink wrap it all to it. Then surround with peanuts or bubble wrap and seal it up. Cheap and works.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anything heavy or big I will just charge higher for shipping and have the guy at a store near here called parcel plus ( kinda like a ups store but he can ship usps) profesionally pack insure and ship.

Did you have insurance on either head?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cbustuner)

the best way to do it would be to bubble wrap it and put it in a tightly fitted box. then put that box in a bigger box filled with packing peanuts surrounding all sides of the inner box.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mikey3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mikey3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the best way to do it would be to bubble wrap it and put it in a tightly fitted box. then put that box in a bigger box filled with packing peanuts surrounding all sides of the inner box. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you know, I'm kind of thinking bubble wrap is not the answer for something like a head. The air moves, it pops and deflates, etc. UNLESS it's like a foot thick in every direction. The item has to survive a major drop.

I'm starting to think that the Insulation foam or stiff packing foam like comes in TV and computer boxes is the hot ticket. It's got to absorb the shock.

Vestal, seriously if you ship one, you should write the tutorial if you have experience. look how many people have had head damage in transit. Would be cool to have something to point people to when shipping. "Hi, yes, I'll take the head, see this tutorial for how to correctly box and ship the item."

Dude, you're on it. !!

OR, if we come up with a kick-*** idea we all agree on. I'll happily spend a few hours whipping up the tutorial and boxing up a head. I'm likely gonna need a few more in the next year, would be nice to nip this in the bud... FOR ALL OF US!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:14 PM
vestalfootball72

Default Re: (vectorsolid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vectorsolid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you know, I'm kind of thinking bubble wrap is not the answer for something like a head. The air moves, it pops and deflates, etc. UNLESS it's like a foot thick in every direction. The item has to survive a major drop.

I'm starting to think that the Insulation foam or stiff packing foam like comes in TV and computer boxes is the hot ticket. It's got to absorb the shock.

Vestal, seriously if you ship one, you should write the tutorial if you have experience. look how many people have had head damage in transit. Would be cool to have something to point people to when shipping. "Hi, yes, I'll take the head, see this tutorial for how to correctly box and ship the item."

Dude, you're on it. !!

OR, if we come up with a kick-*** idea we all agree on. I'll happily spend a few hours whipping up the tutorial and boxing up a head. I'm likely gonna need a few more in the next year, would be nice to nip this in the bud... FOR ALL OF US! </TD></TR></TABLE>

You guys give me inputs, and when this head sells, ill make the official tutorial on how to package a head-

Nothings worse than finding a mint head online, and getting it in the mail as vector and many others did!

Now if yall will just help me find a buyer
Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vestalfootball72)

Well, I like the idea of finding a wooden base so stuff can poke through. And I'm thinking at the very least 4-6 inches of the super dense foam. like in a TV box. My first thoughts on it.

Everybody chime in !
Old 11-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually posted a how-to a while back on how-to package blocks but it was really universal
Old 11-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Dude took a box, dumped the parts and the head inside, and shipped it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I witnessed a guy do this with a fully disassembled b-series head. Dont hang out with the guy anymore.

- foam
- cardboard
- tape
- common sense

c'mon guys, they can ship a tv half way around with world using the four things I listed.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged. (alpha)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alpha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I actually posted a how-to a while back on how-to package blocks but it was really universal</TD></TR></TABLE>

link?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a few incedents with morons like this. One guy sent me a box of used pistons, and oil pump and what not, nothing seperating them or anything. I picked up the box and just laughed, i didn't pay much for them, but i left him a nice e-mail and of course he insisted that he did a great job packing them. Another set of used pistons for a friend, same ****, i asked multiple times to ensure they could not move rattle or touch and guess what, yup, had to file and sand out the nicks. Lastly, i had some dsm injectors sent to me, and i had three of the four plastic tips broken. Oh well, i have spares now

Me, never had one complaint on my shipped items. Keys, be smart, they are going to throw drop and kick that box. Make sure it is surrounded by something, paper, peanuts, whatever, i like to also take spare corrugated board and fold it up, so it makes a mini square/rectangle, and package that all around the part, makes it stronger and gives some space for damage. Also, make sure the parts can't move, or make noises, they love to hear that at the shipping carrier. Lots of other great advice in this thread also.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:45 PM

I dunno if this will help but a few months ago i shipped out a sub for warranty repair and that thing was like 40lbs, I had a hard time thinking on how to ship it but i rapped it in like four or five layers of the big bubble, bubble rap in a tight box plus pieces of stirafoam so it wouldn't move around, bunch of peanuts and almost a role of tape around the box. oh and almost forgot to mention i put in a piece of wood as a base on the box.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged. (dc_2)

i bought a used ex tranny off here a couple years ago and it came with the mount and tranny. open the box no packaging.......there was a hole in the tranny case from landing on the mount when getting tossed around
Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: We need a tutorial on how to SHIP AND PACKAGE THINGS! 2nd head in a row, damaged. (sohctodohc)

When I was younger I worked in warehouses packaging orders, that’s all I did all day

We used newspaper, open up a section like 5 pages thick, then crumple that up, not single pages. You want the box to be slightly over packed and looking “plump” (as time passes the packing will settle too). An over packed box can’t be crushed because there’s nothing for outside weight to displace.

If the item is heavy double boxing it is a good idea or taking other pieces of cardboard and taping them to the inside of the box to strengthen it.

Once the package leaves your sight expect it to go through hell. I've seen UPS/FedEx/ect. drivers throw/ram boxes into trucks, they don't care, its just a box.