Notices

Water Injection Systems...Interested if there were a group buy with a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Injection Systems...Interested if there were a group buy with a good price?

Yeah...i might be putting together another group buy,...doing the research now...so far I am debating on Aquamist or Spearco. You can get more info on what they do on their websites...anyone interested!?

[Modified by MiraiZ, 4:15 PM 10/17/2001]
Old 10-17-2001, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water Injection Systems...Interested if there were a group buy with a good price? (MiraiZ)

As mentioned above, I have two kits in mind, but I am leaning towards Aquamist, because it looks better, it uses newer techology, and I found a guy who has pretty much put together the group buy already and struck up a pretty tastie deal with a vendor.

But just so you get an idea of what they look like, here are a couple of pics...

Aquamist

Spearco

<u>Concept</u>

The concept is not new. It's been around for several decades now especially in the racing community where engine heat is a real factor. As many of us know already,excessive heat in the intake charge can cause big problems to a boosted engine. Its the main cause of detonation, our number one enemy. Nowadays,@an intercooler is not a luxury, but a must! However, for high reving -high compression engines such as ours, we have come to find that our threshold for high boost is truncated because of the detonation factor. Some people even opt to use high octane racing gasoline to help fight detonation, but in some cases this can be as high as $5.00 a gallon.

In comes water injection. Water injection is a safe and inexpensive solution to potetially costly probelm. Its technology is similar to the fuel injection system on your car. It takes water, atomizes it, and injects into the intake track of your car. The high pressured air in your intake pipes breaks down the mist droplets even further, where its pushed into the intake manifold of your car. From there, the mist is evaporated away from the surface of the pistons and cylinder walls, thus carrying away an enormous amount of heat. As a side affect it can also help clean away carbon deposites away from the cylinder heads.

The advantages are that you have a much cooler intake charge; sometimes as cool as 90 to 100 degrees cooler. This can mean a good safeguard against detonation for some, and boosting 1 to 3 psi's safely for others.

According to Aquamist, a 1/2 gallon tank lasts as long as a full gallon os gas for most applications. So in turn, if you fill up you water tank at the same time you get gas, your in business. One of the downpoints is that is you build a "water injection dependant" system, running out of water can be dangerous.

Right now, the Spearco kits retail for about $260 to $280 retail.
The Aquamist S1 system (without the MF2) retails for around $550.,,with MF2 is around $900. Right now, my buy-in associate is talking to a company that might be able to sell the Aquamist s1 for as low as $360 or less if we can get 10 buyers...S2 is still in the negotiation stages...I haven't talk to anyone regarding the Spearco system...and probably won't.

For more info about this stuff you can either post here or go to these sites:
http://www.aquamist.co.uk&lt;/a&gt; &lt;A HREF="http://www.spearcointercoolers.com" TARGET="_blank"&gt;http://www.spearcointercoolers.com

[Modified by MiraiZ, 3:53 PM 10/18/2001]
Old 10-17-2001, 10:15 PM
New User

Default Re: Water Injection Systems...Interested if there were a group buy with a good price? (MiraiZ)

is it hard to get make a sensor/gauge
setup for the water source?

how does the water temp effect safety/
performance/efficiency?

any pics of the setup installed?

fungi technology
Old 10-17-2001, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water Injection Systems...Interested if there were a group buy with a good price? (theFungusAmon

1.With Aquamist S1, you will get a pressure sensor switch, which I believe is mounted on the intake pipe itself...the higher the boost pressure, the higher the water pressure. With Aquamist S2, you get the MF2 fuel computer, the same one that comes with F-MAX kits. This is a bit more sophistated in that it monitors your engines RPMs and boost pressure and makes calculations accordingly.

2. The general rule is, the cooler the air, the more denser, and you get more HP...hence better performance. But since the laws of physics dictates that compressed air is hot, and hot air is easier to detonate than cool air...the more cooler the air you take in, the less chances of detonation. Also lowering your detonation threshold, can also mean you can boost higher psi's. And we all know higher PSI equals more power!!

pics I stole from some guys page...this is on a 3000GT

Old 10-18-2001, 12:25 AM
New User

Default Re: Water Injection Systems...Interested if there were a group buy with a good price? (theFungusAmon

this seems really cool and i'll
will definitely consider this a
worthy upgrade -when- i go
FI.

when i asked about the temp.
i meant, because the water is
stored on the car some place
does its temperature effect
the performance of the system.
like, would adding some ice
cubes net you some hp? it
seems to me like the answer
would be yes. because the
heat in the combustion chamber
is used to turn the water into a
gas and colder water would be
closer to a -solid- and require
more heat to turn it into a gas.

its getting late so i think my
imagination is starting to run wild.

..hm what if we hook the AC up
to the water source.. hmmmm.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The water tank could be put anywhere...some people convert their wiper fluid tank into an aquamist resevoir...some put it in the trunk...its good to keep the water cool but not freezing

[Modified by MiraiZ, 10:38 PM 10/18/2001]
Old 10-18-2001, 07:01 AM

my friend tim (hyundai4G63T) just finished his, and he will probably mount it today, ill have him post pics. he used a civic sprayer tank and motor he had sitting around, an adjustable mister nozzle he got at a hardware store, and a pressure switch you can get at pretty much any auto parts store so it activates at about 5 psi. total investment= about 15bucks. ill post soon as we crank the boost up and try it out.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

friend has a spearco on a dsm and instead of shooting water hes droppin in some methanol hehehe..... works great....
Old 10-30-2001, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know when the group buy is going to occur, you can count me in. Email me at Evansjs@lafayette.edu to let me know the details when you find out.

Thanks, Jeff