Notices

Water to air intercooling, what water addatives to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water to air intercooling, what water addatives to use?

So I am close to filling my water to air setup and I am wondering what kind of additives are out there for getting the coldest water/liquid possible.

I know most already use water wetter, but I want more, colder, better!

Here are a couple sites I found with computer coolants but I am sure someone knows something better out there.

http://www.xoxide.com/water-co....html

http://www.performance-pcs.com...=3516

So any insight to something good is appreciated!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water to air intercooling, what water addatives to use? (snowseeker)

http://www.querycat.com/faq/0f...f3d17

http://www.thumpertalk.com/for....html
Old 10-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water to air intercooling, what water addatives to use? (snowseeker)

Ice.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water to air intercooling, what water addatives to use? (tokesGTR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tokesGTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want it to be cool all the time.

Engine ice claims up to 50 degree drops in running temperature with their additive.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Water wetter says up to 30 degree drop

royal purple claims 30 degree drops (even though their own test shows only 10 degree drop)

engine ice claims 50 degree drop

40 below claims 40 degrees
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

two drops of palmolive
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Suggestion: Educate yourself on how these "coolers" work and you should see why the dish soap idea is not a joke. The best means will be an easy way to add ice to the system. With W/W I have seen 10*F cooler temps but understand the variables involved; i/c core, h/e core, coolant pump specs, coolant capacity, ambient temperatures and turbo efficency.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you plan on leaving water in it all the time use a corrosion preventative.A little water pump lube or similar product will help.Corrosion will hurt the heat transfer big time.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water to air intercooling, what water addatives to use? (NJIN BUILDR)

Good point and yes I was hoping to run a antifreeze/water mix and whatever additive comes up as being known the best for cooling or close to at least.

So whats the deal with this dish soap, what does it do?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sizing the components correctly will make a much bigger difference that anything you do with the liquid, except if you add ice for drag racing, obviously.
That said, what you put in also depends on other things, like where you live. If it gets below freezing, you need something to lower your freezing point. I'd just run distilled water with a little antifreeze. Think you can do better, go for it.
But with a properly designed system, it won't make much of a difference. The problem won't be getting the heat out of the intercooler into the radiator, it'll be getting the heat out of the radiator into the air. A difference in temperature is what moves heat, and since you're trying to get the radiator as close to ambient as possible, the temp difference between it and the air is tiny, necessitating a very efficient (large) radiator.
I assure you, all of those claims you're citing,"30 degree drop", etc, are not applicable to this situation at all. You will always be slightly above ambient without thermoelectrics, ice, or refrigerant..no additive is going to change that.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

x2!

dry ice = absolute zero intake air charges
Old 10-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pgpbubble)

Going too cold can and will fatigue aluminum casuing cracks and such.

I know a guy who plumbed his A/C to cool his charge temperatures. He was unable to keep his intercooler from cracking where the coolant met the charged air. Going absolute zero would probably guarantee a failure.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Alfa Turbo)

So beside all this 'other systems' talk what about additives? What is the deal with the dish soap?

Ice is out of the question. I want it to be the same temp all the time not just ice cold for 10 seconds at the track...
Old 10-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (snowseeker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowseeker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So beside all this 'other systems' talk what about additives? What is the deal with the dish soap?

Ice is out of the question. I want it to be the same temp all the time not just ice cold for 10 seconds at the track...</TD></TR></TABLE>

dish soap (only a couple drops you dont want foam in the system) just reduces the surface tension of the water letting it flow and cool better. its the exact same principle that water wetter does. drop a small drip of water on a clean dry plate, see how it ***** up, put the end of a toothpick in dish soap and stick it into the droplet, watch the water spread out instantly.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Crx Jimmy)

Thats very interesting. Does it still work with a 50/50 water and antifreeze mix? I live in central wisconsin and below 0 temps aren't uncomon.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowseeker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I am close to filling my water to air setup and I am wondering what kind of additives are out there for getting the coldest water/liquid possible.

I know most already use water wetter, but I want more, colder, better!

Here are a couple sites I found with computer coolants but I am sure someone knows something better out there.

http://www.xoxide.com/water-co....html

http://www.performance-pcs.com...=3516

So any insight to something good is appreciated!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly unless you want to do something drastic, you can't beat distilled water and water wetter. You need the water wetter as a lubricant and corrosive protectant for your pipes and water pump.

However, I would also recommend a good shroud on your radiator with a good fan, and if you have a water cooled turbo, run a small heat exchanger for the coolant coming out of the turbo and then run a line back into the neck on the head before the radiator. You'd be surprised what that'll do for your motor man.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water to air intercooling, what water addatives to use? (totsie7944)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Honestly unless you want to do something drastic, you can't beat distilled water and water wetter. You need the water wetter as a lubricant and corrosive protectant for your pipes and water pump.

However, I would also recommend a good shroud on your radiator with a good fan, and if you have a water cooled turbo, run a small heat exchanger for the coolant coming out of the turbo and then run a line back into the neck on the head before the radiator. You'd be surprised what that'll do for your motor man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you got twisted, yo. The coolant we are speaking of is the coolant used to cool the charged air in an air to water intercooler (after-cooler really but I digress) and not the coolant used for a water cooled turbo.

WaterWetter, dish soap et al reduce the surface tension and provide a little lubrication (not found in water alone) and this reduction of surface tension allows heat to flow better or put another way cool more than water and or water/glycol. All the different colors and claims are just marketing to get you to buy their product; they all work the same. There is NO magic going on here. If you want cooler than ambient temperatures you will have to increase the capacity of the system (larger tank) and run lots of ice. Depending on the conditions, how much power you are making and how you drive you could get a couple hours out of a large bag of ice. When it warms up... put in another bag. A well designed street A2W system will give you IAT's of 10-30*F over ambient whether at idle or WOT. That is one of the advantages (there are disadvantages too) of A2W... it is very consistent.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water to air intercooling, what water addatives to use? (Alfa Turbo)

There are no turbos. Just a supercharger aftcooler very much like a LHT kit.

So I guess I will be just doing the water/antifreeze/soap mix.

The A/C cooler you mentioned , I have thought of that before as well. I was thinking of using the A/C to cool the water down (like ice) and still just using the w2a for the intake charge.