wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain.

I've read that you can get certain boost controllers that will help spool up times (or something along those lines). I believe something was mentioned about how the boost controller keeps that wastegate completely shut until max desired boost is reached, then it opens to release anything over - this method compared to regular (i'm guessing) is that normally the wastegate slowly opens/releases exaust gasses as the psi in the exaust manifold build until the desired boost level is achieved and then the wastegate stays at that position.

Does anyone know what the hell I am talking about? Cause I don't think I do. I tried some searches, but I got nadda. If I am on the right track, what boost controllers/wastegate combos are able to do this.

And if I am completely retarded, then just make a bunch of fun about me. It'll be great.

scott
Old 07-22-2002, 09:16 PM
New User

Default Re: wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain. (hybridcrx)

any external WG and any boost controller should work. Electronic Boost controllers work better than manuals.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:43 PM

Default Re: wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain. (B20LS-T)

any one have a technical explaination of how this works? Or know a site I can go to for info?

thanks,
scott
Old 07-22-2002, 09:46 PM
New User

Default Re: wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain. (hybridcrx)

a wastegate will normally gradually open as boost increases. Using a electronic boost controller will keep the w/g shut until the desired pressure is achieved, and then open it, allowing faster spool.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:52 PM
New User

Default Re: wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain. (VaporTrail)

You have it exactly right.

No matter what wastegate you have, if it's hooked up normally (no boost controller), it will open gradually. So if it's set to boost 10 psi max, it's halfway open at 5 psi. Meaning it opens almost INSTANTLY when you start boosting. This means wasted exhaust gas going out your wastegate instead of spooling your turbo. With a boost controller it keeps the "boost signal" from reaching the wastegate until you're at or -near- 10 psi so you get to 10 psi as quickly as possible.

The only RISK with this is if it doesn't open until 10 psi, it might overshoot a little bit and hit 12 or 13 psi, which could be the difference between a motor that lasts a year and a motor that lasts 2 weeks. Electronic boost controllers, therefore, USUALLY will start opening the wastegate a little sooner than your target boost so they can control it reliably to the max pressure you want. Note: this can take some time and energy to get set up right, as certain EBCs are notoriously non-user friendly.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain. (dbman96)

good info .. i've wondered about this also but was too lazy to ask
Old 07-23-2002, 12:23 AM

Default Re: wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain. (Trigun)

thanks for the info man....

I hear that dual solenoid ebc's help out alot when it comes to controlling spiking, so would that completely remedy the problem, or just make it not so bad?

Also, in what setups is this going to make a noticeable difference. I have been told around 12 psi before you can really tell a difference. Even if there are gains going on below that level, they are minimal at best. Any one?
Old 07-23-2002, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain. (dbman96)

I'm way to broke to afford a ebc so I'm looking at the dual stage mbc from turboxs. Why don't mbc's work as good as ebc's?
Old 07-23-2002, 08:07 AM
New User

Default Re: wastegates and boost controllers helping spool up times.....someone please explain. (B20LS-T)

Electronic Boost controllers work better than manuals.
i dont agree with that. i had a greddy profecB and now i have a JoeP mbc and i like it. turbo still spools quicker... especially in 5th gear. maintains boost at 7lbs like its supposed to.