Notices

Wastegate Problem, understand problem before replying

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate Problem, understand problem before replying

I have a SSAutochrome 38mm (Tial style) wastegate with a 8.7 lb spring in it and it is hooked up on my car 100% correctly, but I am having a problem with it..

Problem: The wastegate is leaking air around the valve shaft, meaning it should only take 8-9lbs of boost to open the wastegate , but instead it is taking 20lbs to open it because of the amount of air leaking between the valve and the shaft it slides in.. I tried using gasket maker to line the shaft and the valve's shaft to help close this air gap and I got the ****** to only need 15lbs to open, but this is not low enough, I need the 8lbs or so it should be without the leak.. I have tested the wastegate outside the car many o' times in the last 2 days with regulated air thru 2 regulators for my air compressor, and double checked the lbs of air a boost gauge and a air pressure gauge..

Questions:
1. Have you had this problem (38mm or other Tial style wastegate)with air leaking around shaft and not opening the wastegate at the right amount of boost like it's spring is made for because of this loss of air??

2. Do you think if/when I do get the amount of boost required to open under 10lbs with gasket maker inside the shaft with the valve sliding thru this, that it will be safe to run all the time, or is this a bullshit fix and the gasket maker is going to not work because of the heat the wastegate is going to see??

To go over this again simply:

Wastegate hooked up correctly, don't ask me about the installation.. The spring is the right one.. :-X

Air leaks around valve when under boost causing it to not open until said loss is compensated by more air in which it then opens.

Do you think my fix will work for the long run or is it a rig job that will crash and burn??
Old 10-15-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Wastegate Problem, understand problem before replying (96DXHatchBlack)

My friend has that same exact wastegate on his car and when we first put it on we had the same problem with the valve not sealing that gap. We found out that there was a washer that fits in there and that seals off that gap. Did you buy it used new?
Old 10-15-2004, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Wastegate Problem, understand problem before replying (si_hatch)

from a kid new, but he bought it like 2 months before and never used it..
Old 10-15-2004, 10:30 PM

Yo where did you get the washer from???
Old 10-16-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Wastegate Problem, understand problem before replying (96DXHatchBlack)

My friend bought his used and the kid that had it before him had the washer. Try contacting contacting ssautochrome to see if you could get one or ask whoever had it before you if he has it
Old 11-02-2004, 02:51 PM

I am only bringing back this topic because i am having the same exact problem with the same exact wastegate...i want to know if the problem was solved with the washer because i have a washer and it is still leaking, i might try a new washer tho. Did this solve the problem?