Notices

Wastegate/flange/dump ideas....thanks

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate/flange/dump ideas....thanks

I've got a 38mm Tial Wastegate.

I need to get a dump tube to come off that wastegate.

Any ideas on what I should do. I really don't want to buy a flange/dumptube and wait. This is the only thing I need to start driving my GSR-T.

Could I weld a dumptube to my wastegate flange? (by getting an exhaust shop to do the work) If so what size dump tube?

Im looking for some ideas on what I could do. I'd like to get the car on the road tomorrow. Please help me out so I can get my car on the road
Old 05-10-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Wastegate/flange/dump ideas....thanks (patdemps)

you dont have to have one, it just makes your engine compartment a little dirty. also you can have a shop make you one, then just run some small flex pipe off that to wherever you want to dump.

Landon
Old 05-10-2004, 11:26 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

You can run without one if you're careful. Make sure the dump is not pointed at your radiator or anything else it can melt. You can run a dump tube down the road when cash is available.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can run without one if you're careful. Make sure the dump is not pointed at your radiator or anything else it can melt. You can run a dump tube down the road when cash is available.</TD></TR></TABLE>

By being careful you mean take it easy on the accelerator?

I want to try and do something with it because I don't want to have to worry. However, my buddy has a welder and I am going ot his house as soon as the car is running, so maybe we can figure something out.

Just don't nail on it and I should be alright on the way to his house correct?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:39 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Correct. The gate only opens when you are in boost. By careful I mean I wouldn't drive around for too long [weeks] without a proper dump. I'd check under the hood eveytime I stopped to make sure I'm not melting anything.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:51 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

Pat like these guys mentioned not everyone runs Dumps, however they are nice to have. Not only does it give you a piece of mind, It keeps the bay clean.

I'd say the biggest threat to the heat would be that A/C lines, and being summer it would suck to melt a line.

Pat if im not mistaken though you don't even have a/c so it shouldn't too big of deal for the meantime. I have a short dump that Ive been meaning to get extended and I have my A/c lines covered in that shiny heat wrap.

If you've ditched a/c you should be fine. As the A/c line is the closest part to the Wastegate flange.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: (quikB18B)

Your correct, I don't have AC. the whole setup is removed.

The main thing im worried about melting would be the radiator/fan. I just need a flange....I can figure out the piping aspect of it just by paying a garage to do it. Im in the mood to friggen weld the pipe to the wastegate on the flange, but i don't want to go that route because its not the correct way. Maybe ill get lucky and find someone selling a dumptube w/ flange for the wastegate.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (patdemps)

you don't have anything to worry about. It's just going to make a mess... But you can drive your car no problems.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: (TurboChrgd_Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboChrgd_Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't have anything to worry about. It's just going to make a mess... But you can drive your car no problems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I plan on doing this because right now it seems nobody has a flange they want to sell me. And it seems everyone online that sells them is sold out. Im getting frustrated, I just wish someone would sell me a flange plus the dumptube and solve my problems all together. I've got the money in hand to do so.

I just won't go WOT until I get a dumptube.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patdemps &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I plan on doing this because right now it seems nobody has a flange they want to sell me. And it seems everyone online that sells them is sold out. Im getting frustrated, I just wish someone would sell me a flange plus the dumptube and solve my problems all together. I've got the money in hand to do so.

I just won't go WOT until I get a dumptube.</TD></TR></TABLE>

have a shop make you one. its easy, have them cut the flat part out of like flat steel, drill a hole in it, and weld a pipe to it. there you go its done.

Landon
Old 05-10-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: (boosted_dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

have a shop make you one. its easy, have them cut the flat part out of like flat steel, drill a hole in it, and weld a pipe to it. there you go its done.

Landon</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, i guess ill search around tomorrow and see if a shop can do that in my area.

I have a inline pro manifold aswell....
Old 05-10-2004, 08:21 PM

i run a open dump,i have a short dump tube on it pointing at the block right now,it makes it kinda sooty,but im gonna make a proper dump tube when i get a chance....just be carefull about it pounting at anything that it can melt,also,its better to get it down to the ground so your not sucking in exhaust fumes into the intake......not to mention it helps prevent a engine fire....1400 degree exhaust dumping right into the engine bay cant be good
Old 05-10-2004, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (seako_916)

Boosted DC2 hooked me up. Let me borrow his until I can buy one or until his car is done.

Major props for a great guy

looks like tomorrow it will be all done