Notices

Wastegate dilemma noob

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Wastegate dilemma noob

That valve seal is a fire ring. You cannot get a replacement for the cheap wastegate this came from on eBay or where ever you got this from, because they only come in sets.

Ok.. so, that part is DONE.

Time for another wastegate, amongst other things. that will have a NEW fire ring (valve seal)..

Stop worrying about your ego. Stop worrying about your feelings, blood pressure, and all that nonsense... It doesn't help get the job done to solve issues.

What does matter is specific information. You knowing as much about the car as possible. you can throw parts at it if you want, which will help, but finding replacement individual pieces for the garbage parts you have there is OUT OF THE QUESTION.

Buck up... Man up..... Let's get to work here.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there is un-******* to be done. All in good time. I just wanted an answer to my wastegate issue which is what my original post states. I'll make a note to self to not post pics of my set up on here until I get it where I want. I got to know where I'm at to get to where I want to be.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
That valve seal is a fire ring. You cannot get a replacement for the cheap wastegate this came from on eBay or where ever you got this from, because they only come in sets.

Ok.. so, that part is DONE.

Time for another wastegate, amongst other things. that will have a NEW fire ring (valve seal)
Thank you! It was like pulling teeth but now we can move on!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any suggestions on a Good wastegate that won't break the bank? I have heared alot about tiel
Old 09-27-2015, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rookie_lost_sol
I'll make a note to self to not post pics of my set up on here until I get it where I want. I got to know where I'm at to get to where I want to be.
that's not going to work. we've already seen the old ones, so the shock is over. But if YOU don't know what you're looking at, you'll need to post more and more pictures of this engine bay.. As long as you don't worry about writing down the excuses as why something is there or not there, and stay focused, you'll be fine.

List as many SPECIFIC questions in one thread. Don't make any more completely different threads.
THINK before you ask. Like I said, we don't coddle or spoon-feed here, but we are willing to help so long as you're willing to help yourself by being specific with your questions.
So your telling us what you feel a forum is for is falling on deaf ears from the start. Accept it.. Many of us are ********, we know it, and in some cases, appreciate that aspect online.. so, I wouldn't put your heart into any soliloquies or soap-box rants.

Start reading the FAQs also to get ahead of the correct terminology. That will help from distractions as well.

Remember, we don't know your mechanical inclination, or experience and in the end, nor does it matter in the long run. Getting things repaired in a specific order is what's necessary.

Honestly, with the work you have cut out for you, some items will be easier to replace by yourself, others require additional eyes and skills to help. Get ready to get the entire engine out. Because not only does the engine need the right equipment, but the bay needs to be cleared out from corrosion and damage as well. Otherwise, it will be all for nothing.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:10 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbosmart gates are reasonably priced, and good quality.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Turbosmart gates are reasonably priced, and good quality.
Agreed. Turbosmart and TiAL are the best options. From $265-$395 depending upon size.

If you're looking for ways to save cost...then we can tell you now..sell the whole car and don't look back

You're not going to unfuck this on a budget. Get that out of your head now.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

:popc orn:

There's really so much I could say here, but I dunno feeling kinda lazy, very entertained with this and the other noob's thread though

These gave you some great info, look past the insults and make the **** work, take the shodan's advice on how to go about the questions and....welll....

Hey even if you lego the **** out of this and end up regretting it later, at least you can't say we didn't tell you so

Now I just gotta find another time to bust out 50psi's build, timing is everything
Old 09-27-2015, 09:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow you guys are dicks
Old 09-28-2015, 05:56 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Wow you guys are dicks
Old 09-28-2015, 06:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Im not going out of my way to think of the greatest derogatory comment every chance i get in the TECH sections.

Gdd yes

I could be a dick and comment on your welds but i dont.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:16 AM
moderator emeritus

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Im not going out of my way to think of the greatest derogatory comment every chance i get in the TECH sections.

Gdd yes

I could be a dick and comment on your welds but i dont.
all taken with a grain of salt but good advice is absorbed whether its a dick comment or a collected and well thought comment. I don't call myself a professional welder but I do seek it. And when I do achieve it, I will not wear a crown thinking I am hot **** like many do. Humility sir. humility.

anyone can make comments from the outside looking in. much like this whole forum of "gurus" or know it alls who couldn't apply any of their internet wisdom (not speaking to you). Thus the "stance" crowd. LOL

This place hasn't been a TECH forum for many many years.

Last edited by 98vtec; 09-28-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Really, OP just needs to go to the FAQ and read every link in there. You wont find what you are looking for in this thread. Especially with a question as basic as "Is TiEl a good brand"?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Really, OP just needs to go to the FAQ and read every link in there. You wont find what you are looking for in this thread. Especially with a question as basic as "Is TiEl a good brand"?
Spelling aside, yes, it is a good brand. You can find used WG or BNIB in the for sale section for $100+ off the new sticker price.

A couple thousand will get this car back in order if you can budget and find quality pieces for sale around this forum and eBay. I don't think I bought anything 'brand' new on my setup. All of it was BNIB or slightly used.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Spelling aside, yes, it is a good brand. You can find used WG or BNIB in the for sale section for $100+ off the new sticker price.

A couple thousand will get this car back in order if you can budget and find quality pieces for sale around this forum and eBay. I don't think I bought anything 'brand' new on my setup. All of it was BNIB or slightly used.
Agreed. I built my first setup from the HT marketplace. Save a bunch of money
Old 09-28-2015, 06:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 98vtec
all taken with a grain of salt but good advice is absorbed whether its a dick comment or a collected and well thought comment. I don't call myself a professional welder but I do seek it.

anyone can make comments from the outside looking in. much like this whole forum of "gurus" or know it alls who couldn't apply any of their internet wisdom (not speaking to you). Thus the "stance" crowd. LOL

This place hasn't been a TECH forum for many many years.
Just getting tired of seeing notaracist trying so hard to put other posters down. Go back to 92-00 section with that.

Who cares if they didnt read the stickys

Its not like theres a bunch of traffic here

Look at calidad, when he first started out he wanted to do an ebay build.

If we want to help the noob who cant search we will if not the thread will go to the second page and be gone.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 AM
moderator emeritus

we definitely all start somewhere. I've been in the working with what I have position and sometimes you just have to step back, look beyond the crap you are going to get and reevaluate the situation. In reality, this guy probably just needs to part the car out and start with a clean slate if he really wants a fun, reliable, efficient turbo Honda. Calidad spent a ton of money on his car to turn it into what it is, which is the point I think these guys are trying to make.

the other ill comments that offered no advice are just dumb coming from people who have shown to have little knowledge on the topic.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I would pull the entire kit off the car and start over. It doesn't matter if you fix the wastegate issue or not, with that setup you will always have issues.

For example, when I was doing things on the cheaper in the past, I got a Treadstone Performance Intercooler kit which was no issue up to 600whp. I never had a problem with their kits. All I had to do was shorten a couple pipes but really no work at all.

Here is a list of parts you can get brand new from Treadstone Performance. Everything listed below in total is about $1300 bucks. You can buy a nice little used Garrett 57 trim turbo for around $450 which would be all you need.

I would get a downpipe and dump tube made specifically for the car and a couple hundred bucks for misc fittings and lines. So around $2500 bucks you can basically have a brand new kit with good parts and be done. Or if you don't mind used stuff look in the classifieds for used good parts and maybe get it even cheaper. I personally like new stuff but that's just me.

$330 bucks

$220 bucks

$250 bucks/ good for 450 hp

Wastegate $270 bucks

BOV $270

Old 09-28-2015, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98vtec

the other ill comments that offered no advice are just dumb coming from people who have shown to have little knowledge on the topic.
As far as I know really only four people have commented here: Shodan, Arias, Notaracist and I. (not counting the second page)

Those three all have knowledge on builds, and I have a little bit myself (have all the parts just not assembled yet lol)

Everyone trashing the op has immense knowledge on the topic, and then we turned to merely suggesting the more philosophical approach to things about how his money will be spent and if it will truly be worth it. We can be mean if we want, honestly men these days need to grow up and learn how to take **** if it's valid.

Now instead of debating on this, let the thread die off until the OP has more questions/or makes a new one.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AZ, isn't the WG placement on that manifold less than ideal? My muetec log manifold places it closer to the collection point of all 4 runners.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 AM

AZ, isn't the WG placement on that manifold less than ideal? My muetec log manifold places it closer to the collection point of all 4 runners.
It may be less than ideal but works just fine, and has for years. Same configuration as the old Rev-Hard exhaust manifolds and not as centralized as the classic Inline Pro Steel 5 bolt turbine manifold, but its close.

And I'm not even a cast log fan. (except for the GReddy & HKS)

Rev-Hard

Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

That is true but it would work fine, especially considering what the other guy had on his car. Now I don't know exactly what the guy is going for but at this point I'm sure he would like something that actually works LOL.

The price isn't out of control and does have a lifetime warranty. I was trying to give the guy some options for a decent setup at a decent price and new.

If it were me I would save up and get something real nice but I understand some people either don't have the money or don't want to spend too much.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It may be less than ideal but works just fine, and has for years. Same configuration as the old Rev-Hard exhaust manifolds and not as centralized as the classic Inline Pro Steel 5 bolt turbine manifold, but its close.

And I'm not even a cast log fan. (except for the GReddy & HKS)
Eww the Greddy is awful. The runners pinch down to like 1" in the center. the Edelbrock (for T25 Apps) is FAR superior IMO.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:25 AM

We can agree to disagree. For those in the GT28-GT30 category, beautiful little item. Edlebrock never sold it separately, so, I never got a chance to use those. For the torque level they gave, it made little difference.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We can agree to disagree. For those in the GT28-GT30 category, beautiful little item. Edlebrock never sold it separately, so, I never got a chance to use those. For the torque level they gave, it made little difference.
I was able to find a website that sold it separately. Long gone now. that was 4 years ago.

Quick Reply: Wastegate dilemma noob