Notices

Wastegate broke off

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate broke off

So driving to work today I downshifted to pass a car and took it to about 7500rpm's and heard a loud pop and it seemed to lose power and sounded like I had huge exhaust leak. I pulled over and popped the hood and found this.

My question is can I limp the car home if I stay completely out of boost or will this hurt the motor. I need to go about 15 miles.

I've read on here that when people are trying to figure out boost creep they will do a dyno session with the wastegate off. Anyways any help or advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wastegate broke off

it would be loud and fvck but you should be able to drive it home slowly.....however you might want to make sure nothing around the hole is gonna burn/melt.....
Old 10-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Does NO ONE here have AAA or any kind of road assistance through their insurance? anymore? its only a couple bucks a year.. Or is it that most feel as though because they "don't often use it enough to warrant paying for it"?

Not trying to be insensitive, but tow it.. why risk damaging something else.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tow truck is on its way. I was curious because through my insurance tow truck 2.5 hours til arrival. I was being impatient
Old 10-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DX_JDM_HATCH
I've read on here that when people are trying to figure out boost creep they will do a dyno session with the wastegate off.
I don't know why anyone would want to attempt that, but basically all that would do is not build any boost at all. if there was an issue with wg placement and/or angle of the pipe to the wg that was causing boost creep, it would simply cause it to build a very small amount of boost. if any boost builds at all, then the wg placement is at fault. because ideally, you should never see any amount of boost whatsoever if the wg is removed.

Originally Posted by non-VTEC
it would be loud and fvck but you should be able to drive it home slowly.....however you might want to make sure nothing around the hole is gonna burn/melt.....
this is correct, especially the stuff getting burned/melting part. hell, you don't even have to go slow though, just stay below half throttle. it's impossible to build boost with the wg broken off; there's no way for pressure to build to spool the turbo.

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Does NO ONE here have AAA or any kind of road assistance through their insurance? anymore? its only a couple bucks a year.. Or is it that most feel as though because they "don't often use it enough to warrant paying for it"?

that's a valid point. BUT, a lot of people with expensive builds also know that the tow truck drivers often damage things just by hooking it up, and also by the way they actually tow it. I've personally seen bumpers get ripped off, control arms get bent, transmissions explode, rear brakes catch fire, rear brakes catch fire which catch the whole car on fire, bumpers get nearly a foot of plastic get completely ground off, tailpipes/mufflers get large sections get ground totally off, and so much more.

my car isn't even that low, and I needed a tow one time and watched the guy hook up. luckily he hooked up fine and was going to tow it with the rear wheels down, but as he raised it I saw it placed my entire rear bumper and exhaust only 1 inch off the ground. I immediately told him to drop it and unhook and come back with a flatbed. had he left with it that close to the ground, ANY inconsistency in the pavement or any bump in the road would smash the bumper and exhaust.

tow guys simply don't care, especially when they are an employee and not the company owner. I even know a couple tow company owners, and they tell me stories all the time that make me glad I never have strangers tow my vehicles.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You could have just pulled off and plugged the vacuum lines and itd be like driving home with an exhaust leak.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys I appreciate all the comments. I just ended up getting it towed home. I called the insurance company and pretty much demanded they get there within the hour. The lady was awesome and the truck was there in an hour not two and half like I was originally told.

When I got home I had logged in here and Tim from Turbo Elements had already sent me a message. I sent him back my number and with in 5 minutes he called me. He's building me a new one and I'm sending this one back at his expense. I understand **** happens sometimes it's all in how you deal with it. Tim seems to be stand up so far so I have to give him credit. He's standing by his product and taking care of the issue.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn! That's top notch customer service right there!

You didn't even have to call him he called you?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DX_JDM_HATCH
My question is can I limp the car home if I stay completely out of boost or will this hurt the motor.
lol no boost could be generated with that hole. you could drive it but it would make a mess of that pretty engine block.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have it... if not just for my horrible habit of locking myself out. one day when side window glass gets cheaper than a locksmith I'll be golden

But how did it fall off? Just a poor weld? I'd contact the manifold company asap.... I'd be worried about the turbo falling off next, after all, it weighs a lot more than a Tial lol

but yes, you'll be fine driving home, with that big of a hole in the manifold pre-turbo, plus assuming you won't drive like you're in an F1 race you'll be ok. There's no way for the turbo to pressurize the intake with that much exhaust energy being bled off before the turbine wheel..

however, it will leave soot everywhere, and I do mean everywhere... Also make sure nothing in the path of the exhaust gasses can melt. last thing you need is to blow up a radiator or burn through a coolant hose
Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wantboost how about reading instead of just rambling.

Before he could even contact us we had already contacted him as he stated above.

The manifold cracked on the pipe itself nowhere near the weld on the bottom and was unseen, and that caused the extra stress on the wastegate tube which caused it to break on the weld after that.

We are sending him a complete new manifold and he will be back in business before next weekend.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

It updated before I posted
Old 10-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No Problem
Old 10-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

How are your motor mounts? Excess vibration will kill any manifold
Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New mounts 8000-9000 miles ago so they should be good.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
that's a valid point. BUT, a lot of people with expensive builds also know that the tow truck drivers often damage things just by hooking it up, and also by the way they actually tow it. I've personally seen bumpers get ripped off, control arms get bent, transmissions explode, rear brakes catch fire, rear brakes catch fire which catch the whole car on fire, bumpers get nearly a foot of plastic get completely ground off, tailpipes/mufflers get large sections get ground totally off, and so much more.
Wow. I would never thought of those possibilities before I even posted... Hmm. Glad I don't have an "expensive" build to think that far ahead...

Give me a break.. That's why you prepare before the tow truck is called, so that your car can come back in one piece. THose with "expensive builds" in my experience have ALWAYS had a backup plan if they don't have their own truck and trailer. If you can afford the expense of the expensive build, you can afford some sort of contingency tow plan in case a breakdown occurs.

Such as,

1-fire extinguisher in the car (A good "Kiddie" kitchen-sized extinguisher from Home Depot is what I usually use.). Saving your expensive investment with a $20 extinguisher is good sense should a hose disconnect or something catch a blaze instead watching it burn to the ground.

2-Keeping wood in the car or even Nukabe ultra low ramps that are 20 bucks always helps. This helps yourself, as well as the tow truck guy in case he's not that well prepared.

3- quick disconnects to the bumpers when needed, or at least how to quickly pull the front end off, if the tow truck is needed. you can use the Desuz quick fasteners or the "band" quick connects that Password JDM sells.

4-Tow Hooks - Some think its ricey or a way for a thief to steal it, but they'll do it anyway. Even street/strip guys at the track keep them around in case a golf cart has to tow the car back if trouble occurs.

5-Know your tow truck companies. Research which ones have the better reputations and check with your insurance as to which ones they'll help cover. I typically go by 1-2 tow truck companies ONLY, and make sure that they are able to cover long distances. The one I pick can even bring me back from International waters.. All for the same $5 per 6months, or even from a supplement like Allstate Motor Club. It costs a little more, but worth it.

6 -Keep a full size spare tire in the car. Yeah, yeah, so it adds a couple of pounds of weight, but so what? If you're 450whp, and an aerokit to match, having a good sized spare tire does WAY more than a doughnut, and Hondas don't weigh that much, so it won't matter in a "street contest". I don't know how many people I've seen stuck on the side of a road with a simple flat tire, with NOTHING to replace it with. Not even a spare bad doughnut that would still rip the aerokit off. you can even switch the wheels around so they are the same circumference to save the transmission... This is especially in areas that don't have emergency run offs or "carry offs" (like chicago) where one can safely repair or wait for help.. In Michigan last year alone, 5 deaths were from people on the side of the road without things like this, and they got run over by traffic on the freeway from not having equipment to safely get out of the area..

my car isn't even that low, and I needed a tow one time and watched the guy hook up. luckily he hooked up fine and was going to tow it with the rear wheels down, but as he raised it I saw it placed my entire rear bumper and exhaust only 1 inch off the ground. I immediately told him to drop it and unhook and come back with a flatbed. had he left with it that close to the ground, ANY inconsistency in the pavement or any bump in the road would smash the bumper and exhaust.
That's why you go through the list to see if your insurance will help;.. You can request a "flatbeds only" policy for your car. (How do you think AWD cars get towed? Hope for the best for a tow? They can't use the standard truck, so owners make that part of their criteria).
Get the car READY when they show. Remind them if needed how to disconnect an e-brake or keep it in neutral. Standing like a bump in road while your car is being destroyed makes no sense.

tow guys simply don't care, especially when they are an employee and not the company owner. I even know a couple tow company owners, and they tell me stories all the time that make me glad I never have strangers tow my vehicles.
That sucks.. Again, there are preventable ways to still tow the car and not risk further damage, as long as you PREP. Be diligent, DON'T set the car too low, keep some of your own equipment in the car, and you have a better chance of not having anything damaged. One time I had the same issue with a "not so worthy" driver show up. When I realized early he "didn't care" about my stuff. I had him stop, get another truck and waited WITH HIM, while another truck that had a proper person arrive. worst case scenario, I helped instead of watching potential carnage.

These cars are GOING to break, its really just a matter of when.. not IF. Whether its "Daily driver" or "street strip".. If the car is going to pull any kind of double duty, it pays to BE READY as much as you can when it happens. If you DO break down, you can at least kill time by prepping for the tow guy to show up.. Funny enough.. WHEN you do that, they'll actually give a crap a bit more.

I'm not saying this is fool-proof. But I go by the old saying: If you fail to plan.. Plan to fail.

OP. Check with a tow policy.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-05-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. I would never thought of those possibilities before I even posted... Hmm. Glad I don't have an "expensive" build to think that far ahead...

BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

actually AAA has been trying to get me to renew like crazy. when i started the account like 15 years ago it was 20 something dollars a year. now they want 52 AFTER the renewal discount.

i do keep a full size spare and fire extinguisher though. maybe a few tubes of quicksteel would have come in handy here!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7

Hate
Hate
Hate
Hate

Enjoy the side of the road with the dead skunks.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-16-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol. Funny thread

Props to Tim @ TE for taking care of his client!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jimbo slice
Lol. Funny thread

Props to Tim @ TE for taking care of his client!
I'm very impressed with Tim's customer service. He reached out to me before I contacted him. He's answered everyone of my calls and texts. He understands I need my car up and running as soon as possible and he's taken care of it. You really can't ask for more out of a company when things go wrong. I wish all the manufacturers I've dealt with were like this.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah he's been doing some great work here locally. I know he's done work on Turbo-Ls and got vtec? cars.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty serious when the company contacts you first. Thats insane.

Downtime sucks though
Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What manifold?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbo Element B series T4 / 44mm

Quick Reply: Wastegate broke off