Notices

Wastegate/boost problems...please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate/boost problems...please help

I installed my turbo and everythign the other day. I'm using a vaccum manifold tapped into my brake booster. The boost gauge, BOV, and 38mm external WG are going to the vaccum manifold.

here's my problems...

I had the vaccum line to the side port of the wg, and it would not build boost more than about 1 psi uphill. I then proceeded to remove the vaccum line from teh WG and block it off, leaving the WG open to atmosphere. It then boosted about 3-4 psi at half throttle before I let off. Well, I know I cant do that or the WG wont open up and limit boost effectively. So, then I tried the vaccum line to the top port of the WG and of course, teh WG stayed open the entire time spitting out exhaust.

Any ideas what the problem is? The spring in the wastegate is set for 6 psi if that matters. FMIC, short tubular manifold, T3 48/60 (defintiely working...it spools like a bitch).

TIA!!!,
Chris
Old 04-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate/boost problems...please help (B16CRXT)

Do you have the tial ring installed?

Hooking vacuum/boost to the top of the WG would make it never open except maybe at idle
Old 04-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate/boost problems...please help (dustin)

yes the ring is in. The diaphragm is in perfect shape as well. The wastegate is brand new and I just took it apart to check everything (again).
Old 04-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm I dunno check for exhaust leaks at head->manifold and manifold->turbo.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

witht he wastegate left unpluged it would never open , you should have boosted a hell of a lot more than 3-4, i would check for a MAJOR boost leak or a faulty boost gauge. the line that connects to the wastegate should be on the bottom so that as boost builds it "Lifts" the diaphram opening the wastegate.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm I dunno check for exhaust leaks at head-&gt;manifold and manifold-&gt;turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, I dont beleive there are any leaks. I dont see ANY exhaust marks on teh head or out the flange of the turbo/manifold. and it also built boost EASILY (at partial throttle) with no vaccum connections at all.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well there are only a few options.

Either the turbo is producing the boost, or it is not.

If it IS producing boost, then the options are:

1) piping/IC leak
2) BOV doing something seriously wacky
3) bad boost gauge

Does the car feel fast at all?

If it's not producing boost:

1) exhaust leak before turbo
2) WG always open or partially open

Are you revving the motor out?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesnt feel any faster...and it seems that it slows around 6K rpm for some reason....maybe it is my BOV, but it blows off like it should (with just that .5-1.5 psi). I figure there are a couple pinhole leaks in one of my charge pipes but that isnt enough to stop boost. It boosted fine with no vaccum sources on teh wastegate. I think the problem lies with teh connections there or my vaccum sources.

It is alright to have teh side port to teh vaccum manifold instead of the compressor nipple right? I currently have the compressor nippple blocked off so I can get a mroe accurate boost reading by the vaccum manifold.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16CRXT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it doesnt feel any faster...and it seems that it slows around 6K rpm for some reason....maybe it is my BOV, but it blows off like it should (with just that .5-1.5 psi). I figure there are a couple pinhole leaks in one of my charge pipes but that isnt enough to stop boost. It boosted fine with no vaccum sources on teh wastegate. I think the problem lies with teh connections there or my vaccum sources.

It is alright to have teh side port to teh vaccum manifold instead of the compressor nipple right? I currently have the compressor nippple blocked off so I can get a mroe accurate boost reading by the vaccum manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the wastegate port needs to be connected to a spot before the throttle body. connect it to the nipple on the turbo, thats primarly why they are there. its not good for your wastegate to see large amount of vac,
Old 04-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate/boost problems...please help (prelittlelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the wastegate port needs to be connected to a spot before the throttle body. connect it to the nipple on the turbo, thats primarly why they are there. its not good for your wastegate to see large amount of vac, </TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh. no. You want the wastegate to see real boost pressure.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Eh. no. You want the wastegate to see real boost pressure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh? anything before the TB is real boost presure, best spot is way before the TB at the turbo nipple. what are you trying to say dustin?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the ideal location is somewhere along the charge pipes after the intercooler, but I dont have a steel bung to weld onto one of my pipes...Im gonna try my damndest to get that flared blocker out of my compressor and put a new barbed fitting in tehre to try that asap.

Tonight I hit over 2 psi for a couple second in 5th gear on teh highway and teh car went into limp mode. I cant really test the boosting for a few days because its supposed to rain and Im curently running no filter on teh turbo...
Old 04-21-2005, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16CRXT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Tonight I hit over 2 psi for a couple second in 5th gear on teh highway and teh car went into limp mode. I cant really test the boosting for a few days because its supposed to rain and Im curently running no filter on teh turbo...</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh what are you using for fuel managment. you have go some serious issues if you can only build 2 psi of pres.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no fuel management as of right now. it is untuned. gonna use turboedit. it builds the first pound pretty easily then it take going uphill or a 5th gear pull to get to 2+ I dunno why and vtec makes teh pressure drop.

I dont get why it can build pressure so easily with no vaccume/pressure sources to the WG, but if I have the line to teh side port it doesnt want to build much at all...would liek to solve this before I get tuned...
Old 04-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16CRXT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the ideal location is somewhere along the charge pipes after the intercooler, but I dont have a steel bung to weld onto one of my pipes....</TD></TR></TABLE>

make one of these and put it somewhere along your charge piping.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=BCS
Old 04-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16CRXT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no fuel management as of right now. it is untuned. gonna use turboedit. it builds the first pound pretty easily then it take going uphill or a 5th gear pull to get to 2+ I dunno why and vtec makes teh pressure drop.

I dont get why it can build pressure so easily with no vaccume/pressure sources to the WG, but if I have the line to teh side port it doesnt want to build much at all...would liek to solve this before I get tuned...</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you sure your wastegate is good. if you have no boost leaks then the car should make MUCH more boost when the vac line is off the wastegate. and your going to ***** your car by trying to boost with no fuel managment!

you have got to have a major boost leak or your wastegate is just getting pushed open because it has like no spring in it!?

it really pretty simple, if you don't have any exhaust leaks, then the turbo should be spooling making plenty of boost given that 1. the wastegate is diverting exahust around the turbine, and 2. that you don't have a GIgantic boost leak.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, noone help this guy out, now that he is boosted he's gonna make my ls/delsol look bad.
J/k good luck dude. Congrads on the new snail shell bling under your hood. If only I could be as cool as u guys.
I told pete if we hang out this weekend i'd throw my w.g. on your car to see if your's is bad. I think he said you got a 38mm
Old 04-22-2005, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your wastegate is stuck wide open it's not a wastegate problem. More than likely either your turbo is messed or you have a giant hole in your charge pipes. Check ALL the piping everywhere from the turbo right through to the intake. I blew my BOV off on my first WOT run after the turbo install and it would only build 1-2 psi. Got home and found the BOV hanging by the vacuum line
Old 04-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate/boost problems...please help (raene)

well **** me and call me crazy but for some reason when I put on my turbine intake pipe tonight it boosted liek it should. I neevr would have thought not using a filter would cause it not to boost. I thought BBKA was using a screen on his turbo as well. (I was just driving with a screen until my CAI was done...)

Is this a common problem? Its building boost normally now with no problems at all. Now I just needs to go extremely easy on it until I tune it.

Thansk for the suggestions guys but just remember to ask teh next guy that comes along if he has a filter on his turbo or not
Old 04-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16CRXT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thansk for the suggestions guys but just remember to ask teh next guy that comes along if he has a filter on his turbo or not </TD></TR></TABLE>

that really should make no difference at all, you changed something else that fixed your problem

i build boost just fine filterless, unless you screan was SEVERLY restricting flow, but i really doubt it, i bet you changed something else
Old 04-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that really should make no difference at all, you changed something else that fixed your problem

i build boost just fine filterless, unless you screan was SEVERLY restricting flow, but i really doubt it, i bet you changed something else</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, I didnt change anythign else. top port is still open to atmosphere and side port is still going to teh vaccum manifold. The screen didnt seem very restrictive when I put it up to my mouth...I know with a filter it has more surface area but I didnt think it would be any less restrictive than a screen. The screen I used was teh metal part on teh inside of a high temp exhaust gasket sheet.

the CAI is overall about 3' long with curves and 2.5" in diameter...maybe the wg just needed to be broken in, but its funny how it wouldnt boost all day until I put that intake on.....still confusing.. btw; it starts hitting boost with 2500 rpm now

What do I need to do to keep it from boosting now? put the vac line on the top port?

TIA
Old 04-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey dude, i'll have my ls/vtec in sometime this week, let me know when your going to see your tuner, i'll take my car too, maybe we can get a multi car discount. I got to get a base map put on my ecu to run my engine n/a and break it in for a few thousand miles before I can throw on my turbo. I hate newly built engines
Old 04-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate/boost problems...please help (dohcdelsol93)

Sure thing Josh. I'll give you a call when Joseph calls me back and schedules my tune. should be this week. tuesday or wednesday.

Today I took the intake back off and put teh screen on in place of it and it went back to not boosting more than 1-2 psi. I think without a filter, the turbo cant suck in enough air at the high speeds it gets to......no real idea, just making hypothesis.

But teh filterless/intake pipeless factor is definitely why it wasnt boosting. NOT the wastegate.