Notices

walbro fuel pump going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default walbro fuel pump going bad?

Not sure where to put this, so sorry in advance if it's in the wrong place.

Recently my car has been acting weird. It all started last week. I was driving the car and it start hesitating and missing.Afr gauge went to max lean and I had to alter my tune to get it to drive right.It was also making a loud "whining" noise.I was doing some checking today and noticed my fuel pressure had dropped from 65-to maybe 55 psi, so I cranked it back up to where it should be.Took it for a cruise, did a boost pull, and bam same issue as before it, leans itself out on my new map and then all the sudden quits, but the noise comes back.

This isn't the normal walbro pump whine.This is much louder. You can hear it standing a few feet away from the car.It will stop doing it after you shut the car off but will do it again at random when you start it back up and go for a drive.

The pumps maybe 3 years old, maybe a little longer, less then 15k miles and mostly ran on ethanol. I have always had it re-wired with heavier gauge wiring since it's been installed.

The week prior to when it started acting up I raised the base pressure to 65 psi ( I have a secondary fuel pump as well that only comes on under boost) and made more hp then i ever have on this pump (about 430 whp and 355 ft-lbs )maybe that has something to do with it? If I get a new pump, would always having the secondary pump on extend my pump life at that pressure?

Suggestions? Anyone have any other suggestions for intank pumps?