Notices

vortech fmu problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortech fmu problem

im using the super fmu,suppose to be fully adjustable,i cant get it above 30 psi at idle with vacuum on,is this normal,i took off the vacuum line and blew in it to simulate boost to make sure that it worked,and it went up fine as i blew,so it is working,im just conserned with the pressure at idle?i cant remeber off hand what disc im using,it came with about 4 different onmes and 2 springs,im also using a walbro 255 pump and rc 370 injectors if that helps.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:35 AM

Default Re: vortech fmu problem (civictypenos)

it only works for boost. not vacumme!! you have to use it with your stock pressure reg or an after market one.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:41 AM

Default Re: vortech fmu problem (CovertFI)

so what the probelm if i just leave it alone,im using a aem fuel rail dumping right into the fmu and then to the return line,i can adjust it lower by turning the screw,but just wont go higher,is 30 psi at idle too low with 370 injectors?i also have a vafc,if i inrichen it using the vafc tyhe car starts to sputter and run super rich at idle,the car actually idles great and runs like a rapped ape,but i was just worried it might be a problem i could avoid later if it is actually too lean????
Old 07-02-2002, 06:45 AM

so what the probelm if i just leave it alone,im using a aem fuel rail dumping right into the fmu and then to the return line,i can adjust it lower by turning the screw,but just wont go higher,is 30 psi at idle too low with 370 injectors?i also have a vafc,if i inrichen it using the vafc tyhe car starts to sputter and run super rich at idle,the car actually idles great and runs like a rapped ape,but i was just worried it might be a problem i could avoid later if it is actually too lean????
well your car is not made to run with out that fuel pressure reg!! you need one for vaccume. if you want to do it with out, you will need larger injectors and you might as well get rid of the vortec fmu. now with no fmu you will have to get rid of the return line. then figure out how to control your fuel pump so it is not pushing agenst a wall.

get my point!! put the thing back on.

edit: why do you have the vafc and a vortech fmu?

[Modified by CovertFI, 9:46 AM 7/2/2002]
Old 07-02-2002, 07:35 AM

Default Re: vortech fmu problem (CovertFI)

i called vortech,they told me that it can be used as a stand alone,just like the directions say,it is the sfmu,the fully adjustable one,not the cheaper one that just adjusts to the boost,it also has vacuum adjustments,is 30 psi with vacuum on too little?with 370 cc injectors?
Old 07-02-2002, 07:49 AM

i called vortech,they told me that it can be used as a stand alone,just like the directions say,it is the sfmu,the fully adjustable one,not the cheaper one that just adjusts to the boost,it also has vacuum adjustments,is 30 psi with vacuum on too little?with 370 cc injectors?
"Is it necessary to use a stock or another regulator with the SFMU?
For almost all applications only the SFMU would be used. Using the restrictive stock regulator with the SFMU with a high flow rate pump would cause the rail pressure at idle to be too high and cause a rich condition. Because the SFMU has so many adjustment features most requirements can be met with it alone."

ok your are right! 30 psi sounds good but you can only tell with a wideban o2. how does it run at 30psi? you should really bring that to a tuner. since it is adjustable you are playing a guessing game by turning a screw.