Notices

Vitara Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vitara Pistons

I hate to post this without doing more research here, but I am running out of time. My son and I are going to install new pistons in his D16 ZC motor (95 Civic VTECH with replacement motor from Japan). I was looking at the Vitara pistons that will lower the compression to around 8.5:1. I am not an engine guy; this is good for a turbo application, right? What is the downside?

He cannot afford the good stuff just now so we are looking for an inexpensive way of getting him running again until he can afford a total rebuild. (cracked piston problems-already done this once).

Help, anyone?

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vitara Pistons

The vitara pistons are cheap. They're proven to work well in boosted applications: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/600-whp-vitaras-stock-sleeved-d16-2607817/

If you're doing a rod n piston motor, I think they're the only piston that belongs in a stock sleeve D, no matter what the cost.

Does your son already have a turbo setup on the zc? Why did it crack a piston? I've seen broken ycp vitaras at less than 200hp... Abnormal combustion will break just about anything, doesn't matter if it's stock(cheap)or forged($$$).

What did his plugs look like? Do you have pictures of the pistons?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what he said. also id say there is no point in putting in vitaras unless you have aftermarket rods.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The number 4 piston cracked in the new motor - replaced all 4 pistons and rings. Got a lot less time out of them. we believe that it, or another, has cracked again so he is not driving it - but we have not taken it apart yet either...

The car has a Greddy turbo with their 'computer'. It has a new fuel pump, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, MSD system, intercooler, blow-off valve, etc. The factory engine threw a rod bearing. The replacement engine worked fine for a long time... We suspected either running lean in that cylinder or detonation - gotta look for the pistons in the garage. we did not replace the rods before and weren't planning to do it this time as he is not planning on running gobs of boost. We were also concerned that lowering the compression will affect performance adversely without more major modifications...

He normally gets his advice and help for major work from a local 'guru'; but now my son has been attending mechanic's training and wants to do more of this himself (we originally put it all together ourselves). He intends to have the car professionally tuned this time around.....

Last edited by wambus; 07-19-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

E-manage is junk. Actually a lot of Greedy parts are poorly designed(i.e. junk). I'm sure it has become more and more clear to you each time you have to install and remove the ex. manifold w/an open ended wrench.

A lot of power can be made on stock rods: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ning+real+time

I personally think 200-220 is realistic, while expecting reliability. So yeah save the vitara slugs for later. I'm fairly certain your son's jdm zc sohc vtec is identical to a d16z6. So finding a couple rods n pistons shouldn't be a problem.

As for finding a "Professional Tuner." Go to the track and find people that are running all summer w/a setup similar to yours, w/o breaking. Ask them who they've gone to. Find those people and chew on their ear. If they don't have time for your questions, find someone else to give your money to...

I think a set of det cans will do your son some good. He should put them on his head after every fill-up. You see the tards that drive fuel trucks. Do you think they always put the right fuel in the right hole in the ground?

Last edited by Foowee; 07-19-2009 at 09:09 AM.