Notices

Valvetrain work, is it DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvetrain work, is it DIY?

Hey, I was considering upgrading my valvetrain with cams, valves, retainers, and springs. Is this something that needs to be professionally done, or can I do it myself? Ive done a lot with my car including the swap, changing the clutch/flywheel, timing belts....etc.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Valvetrain work, is it DIY? (dvp95)

if you have the right tools, then its pretty easy. i just finished installing mine this week. i would lap the new valves to the valve seat so it will seal properly. you would need a valve spring installation tool and some patience

Modified by TurboDANDEE at 2:18 AM 8/15/2003
Old 08-14-2003, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valvetrain work, is it DIY? (TurboDANDEE)

it shouldn't be that hard for you to do. you should lap them also and make sure when your done to a leakage test.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Valvetrain work, is it DIY? (flip1199)

what do you mean by "lap" ??

i know how to do this on my GF but not my cyl head.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valvetrain work, is it DIY? (2.2Lcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.2Lcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> what do you mean by "lap" ??

i know how to do this on my GF but not my cyl head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's when you take the valves that your gonna be using and put a layer of lapping compound on the face of the valve. (Lapping compound is pretty much like a wet cemment lookin stuff) Then you take a small plunger type deal and suction that to the bottom of the valve. place the valve in the head. Then while holding the plunger type deal in both hands start rubbing your hands back and forth causing the valve to turn back and forth in the head. While doin this apply downward pressure.

Sorry for the not so clear explination but its kinda hard with out pics. But after this process is done the valve should seal perfectly against the head. It's kinda like how when u sleeve a block you have to give the machinist the pistons your using so he can hone the block for those specific pistons.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Valvetrain work, is it DIY? (flip1199)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flip1199 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's when you take the valves that your gonna be using and put a layer of lapping compound on the face of the valve. (Lapping compound is pretty much like a wet cemment lookin stuff) Then you take a small plunger type deal and suction that to the bottom of the valve. place the valve in the head. Then while holding the plunger type deal in both hands start rubbing your hands back and forth causing the valve to turn back and forth in the head. While doin this apply downward pressure.

Sorry for the not so clear explination but its kinda hard with out pics. But after this process is done the valve should seal perfectly against the head. It's kinda like how when u sleeve a block you have to give the machinist the pistons your using so he can hone the block for those specific pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your explanation sounds good to me. lapping the valves take a little bit of time and patience. make sure u label which valves goes to which valve seat you lapped it with. im not looking forward to doing it again...