Notices

Valve Adjustment Necessary when installing ARP studs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment Necessary when installing ARP studs?

Hello Everyone,

I'm about to install a new timing belt, arp head studs, and a new headgasket to my teg before I turbocharge it today. Before i started, i read a lot of articles and i noticed that some people say to do a valve adjustment when doing these types of things. So this question goes out to people that have done this prep work before turbo. Is it necessary to do a valve adjustment or can i just leave them alone. The valves are stock and I've never modified them. Thanks.

Here is a picture. I know you guys like pictures.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Valve Adjustment Necessary when installing ARP studs? (CalGSR99)

Well I am no expert but what I think everyone meant is while you have everything opened up it would just make sense to do it that way you dont do double work opening the head again later.If you already knew this and just wanted to know whether or not you need to do it for the turbo the answer is no but once again it would just be nice to make sure everything is in good shape while its open.Hope this helps
Old 03-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Adjustment Necessary when installing ARP studs? (CalGSR99)

umm you have to take the cams out to access the headbolts, so you have to do a valve adjustment no matter what. Assuming (from your user name) you have a B-series motor.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Adjustment Necessary when installing ARP studs? (Blackack26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blackack26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm you have to take the cams out to access the headbolts, so you have to do a valve adjustment no matter what. Assuming (from your user name) you have a B-series motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He speaks the truth.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Valve Adjustment Necessary when installing ARP studs? (Blackack26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blackack26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm you have to take the cams out to access the headbolts, so you have to do a valve adjustment no matter what. Assuming (from your user name) you have a B-series motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

anytime you aer into the engine that far, it makes no sense to not adjust the valves.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Adjustment Necessary when installing ARP studs? (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
anytime you aer into the engine that far, it makes no sense to not adjust the valves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The point we were getting at is that if you are putting the engine back correctly you have to do it. When you take out the cams the right way you loosen up the adjustments all the way to take pressure off of them. Then when you go to put them back in you wont get any binding when you install the cam caps.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Valve Adjustment Necessary when installing ARP studs? (ScottEK)

Thanks for all the replies. I didnt know all this information and that once i remove the cams it will modify the valves adjustment. I thought i could just slap them back on and it would be ok. i will take the time to do it right. thanks again.