Notices

UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!!

EDIT:
It looks like the spark plug tube gaskets are leaking....

thanks to everyone for the help and support.

******* a!!!
the car was running so well!!!

fully built d16y8 by one of the best
fully tuned by one of the best

i changed the plugs tonight and cylinder 1 plug was covered in oil (on the threads)

i put in new plugs, turned car on and let it idle and smoke was coming from both the bay and exhaust

I'm ******* pissed off right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need some support

Modified by igo4bmx at 12:28 AM 4/19/2005

Modified by igo4bmx at 9:59 AM 4/20/2005
Old 04-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!! (igo4bmx)

damn man.. that sucks.. sorry to hear about that.. what caused it, do you know? anything out of the ordinary?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nothing unusual which is strange!!
earlier this morning, i was just cruising along in traffic, and noticed my CEL came on (neptune on p28)

i got to work, and went upstairs to get a paperclip to check the codes and it was gone.

now i changed out my plugs just now and i saw the oil and i started panicing and freaking out...

its only been FULLY boosted less than a dozen times...since the tune was only done on april11th

compression check will be done tommorrow when i get a compression tester

Modified by igo4bmx at 12:29 AM 4/19/2005
Old 04-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

hmm... tuned by a well known tuner.. fully built... not a headgasket problem?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SHystrdyGSRtdy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm... tuned by a well known tuner.. fully built... not a headgasket problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can't see how this is a headgasket problem, since headgasket problem usually involve coolant also...

Old 04-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i can't see how this is a headgasket problem, since headgasket problem usually involve coolant also...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

true... it looks like 100% oil? damn, i hope it's nothing man...
Old 04-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SHystrdyGSRtdy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true... it looks like 100% oil? damn, i hope it's nothing man...</TD></TR></TABLE>

definately 100% oil,
i smelled it
Old 04-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the code should still be stored in the ecu even if it turned off. Try checking again.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!! (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the code should still be stored in the ecu even if it turned off. Try checking again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure how neptune does it, but im gonna go check it now
Old 04-18-2005, 08:32 PM

I don't think so, many codes just pop up and then magically disappear. How gay. But good luck man. Hope it is nothing crazy.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not sure how neptune does it, but im gonna go check it now</TD></TR></TABLE>

Engine off, key on to 2nd position, put your foot WOT. CEL will flash if you have a code. My feeling is that it's either a code 1 or code 41 which is o2 sensor or o2 sensor heater. The ecu doesn't retain the code the next time you start the car.

I responded to your email (just got back from the shop):

If you have oil on the threads, the valve cover spark plug hole seal is most likely leaking. Was it smoking after you put the new plugs in? Have you driven the car since you put the new plugs in? How is the idle? Do you notice oil or coolant consumption? When you took the spark plugs out, if you had oil leaking from that seal, it most likely got into the combustion chamber and is burning. You should notice that after a few minutes the smoking should cease if it was only oil that leaked in. I've seen this happen before. What is smoking in the engine bay? Did you drip
oil on the block, manifold, etc. or is the smoke coming from the engine itself?

Old 04-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!! (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Engine off, key on to 2nd position, put your foot WOT. CEL will flash if you have a code. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I like that.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!! (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol no ****. I do too. I was thinkin the same damn thing.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!! (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Engine off, key on to 2nd position, put your foot WOT. CEL will flash if you have a code. My feeling is that it's either a code 1 or code 41 which is o2 sensor or o2 sensor heater. The ecu doesn't retain the code the next time you start the car.

I responded to your email (just got back from the shop):

If you have oil on the threads, the valve cover spark plug hole seal is most likely leaking. Was it smoking after you put the new plugs in? Have you driven the car since you put the new plugs in? How is the idle? Do you notice oil or coolant consumption? When you took the spark plugs out, if you had oil leaking from that seal, it most likely got into the combustion chamber and is burning. You should notice that after a few minutes the smoking should cease if it was only oil that leaked in. I've seen this happen before. What is smoking in the engine bay? Did you drip
oil on the block, manifold, etc. or is the smoke coming from the engine itself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome
i couldn't find a paperclip either...
im getting calmer now...
i'll brb and gonna check the plug again...
the new plug has a little bit of oil on the plug itself, but that could be due to the oil that fell into the block hitting it
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think so, many codes just pop up and then magically disappear. How gay. But good luck man. Hope it is nothing crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE>
all the codes that i have gotten lately...usually just weird o2 codes that will randomly come up ever so often when i am using the wideband and don't have the stock o2 hooked up(even though i have closed loop disabled ), will turn off after turning the car off and back on, but the code will retain in the ecu so i can check it even after its been shut off.
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">******* a!!!
the car was running so well!!!

fully built d16y8 by one of the best
fully tuned by one of the best

i changed the plugs tonight and cylinder 1 plug was covered in oil (on the threads)

i put in new plugs, turned car on and let it idle and smoke was coming from both the bay and exhaust

I'm ******* pissed off right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need some support

Modified by igo4bmx at 12:28 AM 4/19/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could be your turbo too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all the codes that i have gotten lately...usually just weird o2 codes that will randomly come up ever so often when i am using the wideband and don't have the stock o2 hooked up(even though i have closed loop disabled ), will turn off after turning the car off and back on, but the code will retain in the ecu so i can check it even after its been shut off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think that's what he was referring to. I think he was referring to coming on, then turning the car off, then not coming back on again after driving. But i could be wrong haha
Old 04-18-2005, 08:57 PM

Yep that is what I am refering to. But also some can't be checked after you turn the car off.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cel code 1
why am i having this code jeff?

Old 04-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as an update:

thanks to everyone for helping out.
i think the smoke could be as jeff stated,
1-oil burning from when i pulled the soaking wet plug out of the hole
2-oil burning in the combustion chamber from falling in.

its toolate to start up the car and drive it around (especially in my new neighborhood, with a state trooper next door )
i'll update this tommorrow
Old 04-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cel code 1
why am i having this code jeff?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I left you in open loop and tuned the partial throttle leaner than stoich. For some reason it's tripping a CEL for the o2 sensor. I haven't experienced any issues with NepTune in doing this so far, but there is a first for everything. This is a common problem with Hondata, and the shareware programs. I know that NepTune will throw a code 1 if you don't have the o2 sensor plugged in and running in open loop (which is not the case for your car).

Old 04-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted hybrid)

i have this same problem with uberdata. When i am tuning with closed loop disabled and my wideband in the o2 sensor hole rather than the stock o2(even though its hooked up to the plug) it will give me that code and a couple other random o2 codes. They don't effect anything and usually just come on randomly and will turn off after restarting the car.

Its strange though...when i have the stock o2 sensor plugged in and actually in the bung..even though i run with closed loop disabled it doesn't throw any codes ever.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!! (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks... Makes it easy to check codes, and clear them... It also frees up the service connector for use as an input (switch) for one of the other options...

Darin recently made me aware that code 1 comes under certain circumstances... I'm definitely going to have that taken care of asap... The code itself doesn't affect anything in a negative way...

Modified by HRTuning at 12:22 AM 4/19/2005
Old 04-19-2005, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!! (HRTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks... Makes it easy to check codes, and clear them... It also frees up the service connector for use as an input (switch) for one of the other options...

Darin recently made me aware that code 1 comes under certain circumstances... I'm definitely going to have that taken care of asap... The code itself doesn't affect anything in a negative way...

Modified by HRTuning at 12:22 AM 4/19/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man checking codes with neptune is awesome, especially when my big *** self can barely get under the dash to trip the service connector....
FYI: code popped up this morning on my commute to work...no performance differences in the car itself...
Old 04-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a stock O2 still hooked up?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!! (HRTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you have a stock O2 still hooked up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll check later...
im in a business casual outfit, and jumping under a car is a no go

Quick Reply: UPDATE: I think I BLEW A RING!!!!