Notices

UEGO (wideband O2) Group-buy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UEGO (wideband O2) Group-buy!!!

Anyone interested in a wideband O2 group-buy? This unit should be compatible with Hondata and AEM EMS's and has been calibrated against Horiba and Motec UEGO's.

Check out their site for more info - http://www.fjoinc.com. The parts needed to run with an EMS are as follows:

Controller, $362.25
Controller Installation Kit, $9.25
Wideband Sensor, $226.25

The groupbuy needs 10 people and gets the parts listed above for $520. Post here if you are interested or have any questions.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:48 PM

Default Re: UEGO (wideband O2) Group-buy!!! (philo)

No monitor in this? Would it be possible to get a monitor in this GB?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:40 PM
New User

Default Re: UEGO (Stock@$$GSR)

I have the FJO sensor & controller & monitor and would just like to say that it's a very high quality unit and works great!
If you spend the extra $ for the datalogging kit you get an rpm clip and software so that you can make air/fuel ratio vs. rpm graphs on your computer

-Xerxes
Old 04-04-2002, 04:24 AM

Default Re: UEGO (Stock@$$GSR)

I am sure we could add a meter, which one would you want? The monitor display lists for $397.50 and the LED display lists for $189.25.

If you have an EMS neither are really neccesary as you can get A/F readings directly from the computer.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:25 AM

Default Re: UEGO (Xerxes)

Xerres,
Do you have a progammable ECU, if so which one and how well did it interface with the UEGO?
Old 04-04-2002, 05:17 AM

Default Re: UEGO (philo)

I am seriously intrested.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know if the stock VX 5 wire will work? I rather not pay $225 for something you can pick up at 1/2 the price from thepartsbin.com or Napa. I like to have this little setup above my crappy Autometer A/F guage, but the price is kinda steep. Possible interest in the controller with a meter(LED).
Old 04-04-2002, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UEGO (Speed PHreak)

Ya, don't buy the $225.00 sensor. The NTK sensor is pretty cheap at partsbin.com.

I might be interested in the controler, installation kit, and datalogging kit.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:07 AM

Default Re: UEGO (Speed PHreak)

Most UEGO's use the NTK sensor, which I believe is the same one used in the '95 VX. It would probably work with the FJO controller. I will see if I can get a definative answer from FJO.

The Autometer gauge is not crappy it's just a voltmeter that detects the voltage from the stock O2 sensor. And the stock O2 sensor is made to calculate stoich values not way rich or lean conditions. The Autometer A/F gauge should work very well when used with a wideband O2 system.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really interested in this groupbuy.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UEGO (fatkid)

i am in also if it i dont have to use there sensor.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:50 AM

Xerxes, do we need the datalogging kit for the unit to work with the Hondata?

BTW, I'm interested.

[Modified by 2000Si-at-UK, 4:15 PM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 07:12 AM

Default Re: UEGO (2000Si-at-UK)

You would not need the datalogging option for use with an EMS system that already has datalogging like AEM or Hondata.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:15 AM

Quote:

I suggest that people use the LED display instead of the EMD. The LED is very readable due to its much larger numbers. The bar graph on the EMD doesn't offer very much resolution for performance tuning applications, so you'd be left to read the digital display, and those numbers are pretty small. PLUS, the LED is less expensive.

[Modified by philo, 10:19 AM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 07:16 AM

Quote:

The sensors from Honda/Partsbin will work, but they have not been checked for calibration with the FJO controllers. FJO tests all the sensors for proper calibration, but my understanding is that they rarely fail the calibration test.

[Modified by philo, 10:20 AM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 07:18 AM

One thing that we have to hit in order to trigger the group buy prices is a ~$5K total. So, that'll mean that we need more participants if each is spending less money.

I would recommend going with the sensor included in the GB. Then you will have the piece of mind that it is correctly calibrated. But the choice is yours.

[Modified by philo, 10:22 AM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For those people that are thinking about this. You only really need this on your car every once in a while for tuning. After that it just because an expensive O2 sensor. You can make up some of the money on these things by buying the display or the datalogging kit and charging $50.00 to tune V-AFC and FPR's and stuff for people in your area. The only problem is the cable on the FJO unit is a little short between the control box and the sensor, so you may end up mounting the control box in the engine compartment somewhere. It makes it hard to hook it up to car temporarily, or use a tail pipe probe.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:16 AM

Default Re: UEGO (DirtyLude)

You can use a wideband O2 to do your initial setup only, in that case it would be good for a tuner or group of friends who tune together. You would want to tune your mixture a little rich to allow some room for error and environmental changes.
Then everytime you make a tuning adjustment you will need to go through the whole process of hooking the UEGO back up (this doesnt work for me).

But if you running an FI motor that has been tuned for peak HP (like most of us want) you will want to keep an eye on A/F ratio all the time. Even more so, if you have an EMS that can do closed loop feedback under full load (AEM), then you really want to have a UEGO permanently connected.

Race EMS's like SpeedPro come with a wideband O2 standard for a good reason, and the AEM EMS will only run this way if you have a UEGO connected. When you consider what most of us have spent on dyno time just to tune our A/F ratio, this is a bargain

fyi: I am referring all sales directly to the vendor. There is nothing in this for me except picking up a discounted UEGO.

Old 04-04-2002, 08:35 AM
New User

Xerres,
Do you have a progammable ECU, if so which one and how well did it interface with the UEGO?
I have a hondata but i haven't yet tried hooking up the wideband to the hondata.. In fact so far i've only used the wideband to tune a friend's car..

-Xerxes
Old 04-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UEGO (Xerxes)

The "good reason" that speedpro has a built in wideband controller is that it has an auto-tune feature. AEM at this moment does not. Running closed loop WOT is not the same thing.

In the real world your going to find running all the time with the UEGO sensor is a waste of the sensor when it only takes minutes to swap it in for a tuning session. The sensors also degrade over time. Leaving closed loop at 100% throttle all the time is a recipe for disaster.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the NTK sensor comes stock on the VX. A friend of mine has 200k miles on his stock vx O2 sensor and it has never failed.

Granted that we typically run our motors much richer than a stock civic vx, but I plan on keeping my sensor on the car all the time. I'm just going to wire up a switch to switch from stock O2 input to wideband input to the ecu ...
Old 04-04-2002, 09:52 AM

DirtyLude,
How is closed loop feedback tuning different from "auto-tune", that's exactly what closed loop feedback means.
--
The AEM does support auto-tune when you have a UEGO connected.
--
How is closed-loop feedback a recipe for disaster?
--
I don't know anyone that has had a wideband O2 sensor fail yet and plenty of them have 10K+ on them

I'm not trying to argue, I just don't understand your post.

[Modified by philo, 2:31 PM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 02:14 PM

I planning on ordering by the end of the week whether or not we get enough for the GB. Just wanted to see whether there was enough interest to justify waiting a while longer.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:17 PM

I will get in on the buy if we have 10.....
Old 04-04-2002, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Auto-Tune helps create the map. Closed Loop just adjusts the fuel at the time you're running. With the speedpro or autronic you can run the car for a few passes and disconect the sensor and you're doing fine with a map that's about 3% away from being optimized until you make your next change to the car.

The only evironmental change that a good map can't adjust for is humidity, and that's not even worth mentioning. A good fuel/ignition map will replace a full time UEGO sensor, but a full time UEGO sensor should not replace a good fuel ignition map.

The only point I'm trying to make is I think you're over valueing having a full time UEGO sensor hooked up to your EMS. All O2 sensors degrade over time due to contaminents. The sensors may not have failed, but without recalibrating the sensor there's no guarentee you are running the exact a/f ratio that it says you're running.

Quick Reply: UEGO (wideband O2) Group-buy!!!