Notices

uberdata, crome, hondata (once again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uberdata, crome, hondata (once again)

okay, so..i read about the above so often, and everyone says its the best fuel management to go with...and i understand it involves your ecu and some kind of chipping...can anyone explain exactly what is involved for a 98 dx?...this would be very helpful, because the only thing keeping me from starting to buy parts is the undecided fuel management....i keep wanting to go with afc-hack because it seems the most simple...but please lead me in the right way...heres what my understanding is, PLEASE CORRECT ME if im wrong:

1.buy a p28 ecu?
2.buy 440 injectors?
3.(after turbo install) take it to a shop who can tune it with "uberdata", "crome", or "hondata"?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:30 AM
my house has wheels on it

it is a little more complex than that....

i will explain for hondata since it is what i personally use/know/install/and tune

for you dx you will need:
1. OBD2a -> OBD1 Jumper Harness
2. Hondata Box of your choice, s100,s200, or s300
3. P28 Ecu chipped BY HONDATA! $75
4 find hondata tuner

the injector size does not matter as far as the ecu is concerned because you can change the fuel values in the tune to suit your injectors. just remember that bigger is not always better
Old 01-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: uberdata, crome, hondata (alacard)

http://www.pgmfi.org/
Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrokeAssWhiteboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssWhiteboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is a little more complex than that....

i will explain for hondata since it is what i personally use/know/install/and tune

for you dx you will need:
1. OBD2a -&gt; OBD1 Jumper Harness
2. Hondata Box of your choice, s100,s200, or s300
3. P28 Ecu chipped BY HONDATA! $75
4 find hondata tuner

the injector size does not matter as far as the ecu is concerned because you can change the fuel values in the tune to suit your injectors. just remember that bigger is not always better</TD></TR></TABLE>

k, so...the obd2a -&gt; obd1 is just like a converting harness?, and you said a p28 ecu chipped by hondata...does that mean i order it from hondata for $75?...and if i do that, what exactly is the hondata box?...anddd one more question, haha...so if i did this i wouldnt need bigger injectors?

thanks for the info
Old 01-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also...ill only be running around 7psi daily driven...this will be my first ever turbo, not to mention first car project (im 17)...so (thinking in my shoes)...would it be simpler and reliable to just do the afc-hack?...and if i do that, would i still need to get my car tuned?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you will still need bigger injectors, and a chipped p28 will run you more than $200 from hondata.. its best you research some more before you start buying stuff though.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or just just keep the car stock, untill you learn. you just start driving and you want boost your first car?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rudebwoy)

i was just reading hondata's website...and its 445 for a s100 with boost capabilities...so ill need that, a p28, 440 injectors, AND i need to get it tuned...that seems extremely expensive...for the afc-hack dont you just need the v-afc and the injectors?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:42 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (alacard)

You will need bigger injectors. 440s if you have them will be fine for what you're going for.

Hondata/Crome/Uberdata/Neptune/etc all run on OBD1 ECUs. You have an OBD2a ECU, but you can run an OBD1 ECU on your car. What you need to do, like was said above, is get a jumper harness that allows you to plug the OBD1 ECU into your stock wiring harness.

Hondata is not the only place that can chip your ECU, there are plenty of companies/people on here that offer that service for a reasonable price as well.

If I were you, I would look into getting set up with a Hondata S300 system or taking it to someone who tunes Neptune. Check out http://www.hrtuning.com for a Neptune tuner near you. Most offer ECU chipping for Neptune and tuning for a pretty reasonable price.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go with crome
Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rudebwoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rudebwoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or just just keep the car stock, untill you learn. you just start driving and you want boost your first car?</TD></TR></TABLE>
its not completely stock right now...and its been what ive wanted to do since i was 12...and all ive done since i got my civic (about a year and a half ago) is read on honda-tech and homemadeturbo. (and work daily)
Old 01-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daveG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daveG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You will need bigger injectors. 440s if you have them will be fine for what you're going for.

Hondata/Crome/Uberdata/Neptune/etc all run on OBD1 ECUs. You have an OBD2a ECU, but you can run an OBD1 ECU on your car. What you need to do, like was said above, is get a jumper harness that allows you to plug the OBD1 ECU into your stock wiring harness.

Hondata is not the only place that can chip your ECU, there are plenty of companies/people on here that offer that service for a reasonable price as well.

If I were you, I would look into getting set up with a Hondata S300 system or taking it to someone who tunes Neptune. Check out http://www.hrtuning.com for a Neptune tuner near you. Most offer ECU chipping for Neptune and tuning for a pretty reasonable price. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so you buy the system from hondata (i.e. s300), and in my case i would need a p28 ecu, a jumper harness, and then i would need to take the ecu to a tuner...am i understanding this right?...and if i took the ecu to someone who could program it...would i still have to take the car to a tuner after the turbos installed?

thanks again to everyone for the help
Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 AM
my house has wheels on it

ok, sorry if i was vauge.

the $75 dollars is the chipping service after you find an ecu and send it to them

Hondata is definately expensive. but then again....how much is another engine?

i would stay away from a afc hack, even if it means running a knockoff engine management like chrome or uberdata. they do the same thing as hondata.

so here it is a little clearer

Hondata System S200 with Boost, datalogging, three step with launch control and full-throttle shifting. $450

VIRGIN P28 less than $150
Hondata Chipping Service $75
Conversion Harness $125
Having Hondata Tuned usually around $150 pr hr

or S300 $550
ecu and chipping are the same
but you can self tune, if you have a wideband and know what you are doing. the s300 has internal memory for data loggin and can be programmed on the fly with out any chip burning or romulator usage
Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just go to pgmfi.org and read.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:05 PM
i HAS questions ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you buy the system from hondata (i.e. s300), and in my case i would need a p28 ecu, a jumper harness, and then i would need to take the ecu to a tuner...am i understanding this right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...and if i took the ecu to someone who could program it...would i still have to take the car to a tuner after the turbos installed?

thanks again to everyone for the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

The tuner is the person who programs the ECU. What is referred to as the chipping of the ECU is when you remove the chip that has all the calibrations from the factory stored on it and replace it with a socket that allows you to put a different chip in that has a calibration file with adjustments that either you or your tuner have made. Hondata/Crome/Uberdata/Neptune are software programs that allow you to interpret the information thats on the chip and make adjustments so that you can burn a chip with the new information on it for your setup.

If you send your ECU off and get it chipped so that you can use one of the said programs, you will need to take it to someone to have it tuned. If you get in contact with a tuner ahead of time, they may be able to provide you with a chip that has a basemap, or just a generic safe calibration to allow you to drive your car to them with the different sized injectors on it, but these are not meant to be driven hard on.

If you are installing the turbo kit yourself, take it to the tuner after the turbo is on the car. If you don't plan on installing it yourself, there are plenty of shops out in California that can install the turbo and tune the entire car for you, so you could just drop everything off with them.

You could also drive the car from your house with the stock injectors and ECU in the car with the turbo kit on it as long as you stay out of boost. Then when you get to the tuner swap the injectors and plug in the P28 and jumper harness.

What brand of injectors are you running? Be aware that if they are peak and hold style injectors, you will need a resistor box as well.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrokeAssWhiteboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssWhiteboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, sorry if i was vauge.

the $75 dollars is the chipping service after you find an ecu and send it to them

Hondata is definately expensive. but then again....how much is another engine?

i would stay away from a afc hack, even if it means running a knockoff engine management like chrome or uberdata. they do the same thing as hondata.

so here it is a little clearer

Hondata System S200 with Boost, datalogging, three step with launch control and full-throttle shifting. $450

VIRGIN P28 less than $150
Hondata Chipping Service $75
Conversion Harness $125
Having Hondata Tuned usually around $150 pr hr

or S300 $550
ecu and chipping are the same
but you can self tune, if you have a wideband and know what you are doing. the s300 has internal memory for data loggin and can be programmed on the fly with out any chip burning or romulator usage</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks a lot for the clarification...and yeah hondata is expensive...which i want to stay away from...i mean i am building my own turbo in the first place (im on a budget)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just go to pgmfi.org and read. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah...but the thing is i dont want to deal with chipping and programming myself...the concept is too complicated for me to try and learn on top of everything else im learning...i just want to buy the necessary engine management stuff, and have someone else do the programming while i worry about what parts i need to get for my setup
Old 01-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daveG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct.

The tuner is the person who programs the ECU. What is referred to as the chipping of the ECU is when you remove the chip that has all the calibrations from the factory stored on it and replace it with a socket that allows you to put a different chip in that has a calibration file with adjustments that either you or your tuner have made. Hondata/Crome/Uberdata/Neptune are software programs that allow you to interpret the information thats on the chip and make adjustments so that you can burn a chip with the new information on it for your setup.

If you send your ECU off and get it chipped so that you can use one of the said programs, you will need to take it to someone to have it tuned. If you get in contact with a tuner ahead of time, they may be able to provide you with a chip that has a basemap, or just a generic safe calibration to allow you to drive your car to them with the different sized injectors on it, but these are not meant to be driven hard on.

If you are installing the turbo kit yourself, take it to the tuner after the turbo is on the car. If you don't plan on installing it yourself, there are plenty of shops out in California that can install the turbo and tune the entire car for you, so you could just drop everything off with them.

You could also drive the car from your house with the stock injectors and ECU in the car with the turbo kit on it as long as you stay out of boost. Then when you get to the tuner swap the injectors and plug in the P28 and jumper harness.

What brand of injectors are you running? Be aware that if they are peak and hold style injectors, you will need a resistor box as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

okay...that helped a lot...so i would need to send the ecu off with whatever engine management i bought to get it chipped...then when they send it back...i put my turbo setup on along with the chipped ecu...i then take the whole car to a tuner to get it fully tuned?

and i don't have the injectors yet...i haven't started buying parts yet because im still confused on how im going to be managing it all.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:16 PM
i HAS questions ?

Here's a directory of tuners and what programs/systems they use. The best advice is find a tuner that you are comfortable with and go with whatever system they recommend and are comfortable with that fits your budget.

Hondata tuner directory:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1347699

PGMFI.org Crome tuner directory:
http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtop...4fe2e

Uberdata tuner directory (not sure if it works/got moved):
http://www.ecimulti.org/uberda...art=0

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay...that helped a lot...so i would need to send the ecu off with whatever engine management i bought to get it chipped...then when they send it back...i put my turbo setup on along with the chipped ecu...i then take the whole car to a tuner to get it fully tuned?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. Check out the sponsor marketplace for people that offer ECU chipping services.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Just out of curiosity what turbo setup do you have planned for this d-series? Dont mean to hate, but for someone who has been wanting to do this for 5 years it seems like you have learned very little about forced induction, i suggest searching and reading a lot more before you go out and spend your hard earned money.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BayAreaRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just out of curiosity what turbo setup do you have planned for this d-series? Dont mean to hate, but for someone who has been wanting to do this for 5 years it seems like you have learned very little about forced induction, i suggest searching and reading a lot more before you go out and spend your hard earned money.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks a lot for the help and time...that list actually has a place in my town (which isn't very big) that tunes...so that would work out well...ill have to look a lot more into this, but this all helped me atleast understand what has to be done...thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BayAreaRacing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BayAreaRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just out of curiosity what turbo setup do you have planned for this d-series? Dont mean to hate, but for someone who has been wanting to do this for 5 years it seems like you have learned very little about forced induction, i suggest searching and reading a lot more before you go out and spend your hard earned money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive been wanting to put money into a honda for 5 years...ive only been wanting to turbo for about half a year...and ive only had the money for less than half a year...so i hadnt researched about turbos until about 3-4 months ago...i had been reading about hondas in general before that...and i was thinking of either a t25 or a t3 turbo, 440 injectors, not sure about what intercooler or blow off valve, using mandrel bent piping, and having a muffler shop do my exhaust...whats keeping me from buying parts is the engine management
Old 01-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a jumper harness ,p28 ecu zif socketed,uberdata,turbo kit on,get it tune and ur done.