Notices

Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix.

Ahh.. Back in the FI forum

Since fixing my car, I'm now at 151 WHP on a stock motor with CAI and advanced timing, my compression is 220 across the board, and I just did the 100k maint...

My eyes are back on speed.

I have a 94 GSR, bought a Type R transmission/clutch/flywheel when my GSR tranny decided to **** on me. My motor is healthy, I just about turbo'd my LS b4 I sold it for the GSR.. I think I'm finally ready to take the dive into the darkside..

BUT!

How good are Type R gear ratios for a turbo setup? If I go turbo I could always sell the tranny for 1200, pay 600 for another GSR tranny and use 600 towards the turbo setup... I just don't want to be shifting everytime I'm finally in boost...

Old 04-16-2003, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (geminiGSR)

excellent tranny for a turbo set-up and its already got the LSD
Old 04-16-2003, 06:18 AM

I would definatly say so. My buddy just boosted his R and it is awesome 3rd gear -wnz!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (TypeR 01 886)

yeah Type R's have awsome third gears and even NA pull, good now imagine adding boost
Old 04-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (metal-x)

Actually for an N/A setup, the ITR gearset is wonderful. You want really short gears in a low-torque situation.

But going turbo, the LS with it's longer gear ratios would be more ideal. True you still want an LSD, but the ITR gearset and final drive would be TOO short. You'd be in 5th gear before the end of the 1/4.

A turbo'ed B18C del Sol here in Memphis back in the day swapped in an LS tranny from the stock GSR tranny, and the difference in acceleration was incredible. The longer gears stretch out the powerband.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (metal-x)

dude, you will lvoe it , 3rd gear is a beutiful stretch and that where the car will always shine .
Old 04-16-2003, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Short gears are good for NA
Long gears are sick for boost. YOu engine works hard if you have longer gears, thus produces more exhaust flow and therefore keep the turbo working at it's limits much longer.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiRolla)

read my gearing debate i started, youll get all your info in ther from the pro guys, i rest my case
Old 04-16-2003, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (itr206)

What situation are you going to be in? Are you going to be dragging? It is actually better to have shorter gears like a B16 tranny or a GSR tranny, if you don't believe me ask Jinx, and some of the other professionals on this forum. You could possibly change the 5th gear, for cruising on the highway, but you would benefit from the shorter gears more.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:04 AM

Here's a story for you.

Friend of mine had a '98 Type-R and we put a DRAG turbo kit on it. Set to 9 PSI, no other mods except open exhaust.

12.1 ETs at LACR!!!

Later switched to larger injectors and ACCEL DFI, the car ran slower at 12.6. It was "tuned" at Shitcrew here in the SGV area.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:00 AM

Default Re: (HiRolla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiRolla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Short gears are good for NA
Long gears are sick for boost. YOu engine works hard if you have longer gears, thus produces more exhaust flow and therefore keep the turbo working at it's limits much longer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

please don't post if you are going to post nonesense...

Yes longer gears will keep you in boost longer, but shorter gears (ie. gsr/type-r) will always accelerate faster, thus making you that much quicker...
Old 04-16-2003, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (Sledge Hammer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sledge Hammer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually for an N/A setup, the ITR gearset is wonderful. You want really short gears in a low-torque situation.

But going turbo, the LS with it's longer gear ratios would be more ideal. True you still want an LSD, but the ITR gearset and final drive would be TOO short. You'd be in 5th gear before the end of the 1/4.

A turbo'ed B18C del Sol here in Memphis back in the day swapped in an LS tranny from the stock GSR tranny, and the difference in acceleration was incredible. The longer gears stretch out the powerband.</TD></TR></TABLE>

weird..motormatrix has a itr tranny doesnt he???and he stops his pulls on the highway at the top of 4th gear..at 140
Old 04-16-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (GOLDBERG)

wanna know my opinion??

those who say the LS tranny is the best setup for turbo, has obviously never driven and/or seen a turboed car with a B16/Type-R tranny...

it's the best for both N/A AND for turbo...the LS tranny really really sucks!! ESPECIALLY driving around town off boost..
Old 04-16-2003, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (TheSwift1)

the cable LS tranny is bad ***!
the gearing was changed in the hydro LS tranny to suit the girl driver
just like they changed the gearing in the 97+ prelude (the 92-96 prelude vtecs had much better gearing).
Old 04-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (TheSwift1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheSwift1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wanna know my opinion??

those who say the LS tranny is the best setup for turbo, has obviously never driven and/or seen a turboed car with a B16/Type-R tranny...

it's the best for both N/A AND for turbo...the LS tranny really really sucks!! ESPECIALLY driving around town off boost..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-16-2003, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (tmex05)

how about the 91civic Si trannys versus the the dx one for a boosted d16z6 in a 91 civic hb?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (tmex05)

I'd take the ITR tranny over my LS anyday!! but i'd keep my 5th gear!!
Old 04-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it seems to work fine in my car.first and second are a little short,but that might be do to lack of traction, with 24" tires, my car is almost at 9000rpm at 128mph.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (turbotypeR)

Turbo wit ITR tranny rocks...at WOT its like driving an F-1 car because you go through gears really quickly. The only complaint I have (which is a highlight as well) is that you really have to shift a lot.

I still don't understand those who say "get LS so you can stay in boost longer" That make so little sense to me. You stay in boost longer because you arein the same gear longer..that's not good! The quicker you get up the gears without dropping rpms, the faster you will accelerate. Thats why F-1, CART, IRL, and GT cars have short gears...so they can accelerate out of corners faster.

Yes it 'feels' like you're going faster because there is longer gearing and the boost needle stays steady longer but in reality, a car with an ITR tranny will shift into third while you are still in 2nd and THATS when they'll overtake you!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (MiraiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo wit ITR tranny rocks...at WOT its like driving an F-1 car because you go through gears really quickly. The only complaint I have (which is a highlight as well) is that you really have to shift a lot.

I still don't understand those who say "get LS so you can stay in boost longer" That make so little sense to me. You stay in boost longer because you arein the same gear longer..that's not good! The quicker you get up the gears without dropping rpms, the faster you will accelerate. Thats why F-1, CART, IRL, and GT cars have short gears...so they can accelerate out of corners faster.

Yes it 'feels' like you're going faster because there is longer gearing and the boost needle stays steady longer but in reality, a car with an ITR tranny will shift into third while you are still in 2nd and THATS when they'll overtake you!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you tell em
Old 04-16-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix. (Sledge Hammer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sledge Hammer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but the ITR gearset and final drive would be TOO short. You'd be in 5th gear before the end of the 1/4.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!! I WISH!! I f I were in 5th gear at the end of a 1/4 mile (without dropping RPMS) I would be going about 140MPH!! Sweet!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This entire debate gets so annoying and old. The real deal is about matching your motors power band to the tranny. IT'S THAT SIMPLE!

I can say from experience with my boosted B18B that the SiR tranny I was using at first was not good for my motor's power band. When you make 190 ft-lbs @ 2800 rpm and 227 ft-lbs @ 4900 rpm you really just pull through the gear too quickly to get the car moving with out mad wheel spin. When you shift you have to re-spool the turbo. If you only have 1500 rpm of range before you redline again there isn't much time to be spooling and accelerating.

Now if I had a redline that was 8200 rpm instead of 6800 it might be a different story.

Since the SiR tranny I have moved on to a GSR tranny and it feels really longin comparison. I would say that it's perfect for my fat, broad, low revving power band.

I do think that unless you have a turbo that takes all damn day to spool, running an LS tranny would be a bad idea.

In the end it's all about taking a plot of your power band in each gear and finding the perfect gear ratios to keep you rocking.

Old 04-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (glagola1)

motormatrix had a type r tranny at 565whp and loved it. after blowing it up he went with a b16 with a quaiffe. it is all about prefrence
Old 04-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GRTechnologies)

hey turbo R , i know your sick of my questions now , but i like to know what to expect from my car , hahahaha
on those sliks are you trapping in 4th? or are you getting into 5th? im assuming 4th, but wanted to make sure , you still have traction probs with those things? what rpm you launch em at? what tire pressures?
Old 04-18-2003, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itr206)

yes, i am on the rev limiter in 4th when i cross the line.yes, i am still having traction problems with those tires.i usually launch at 6000rpm.it depends on the track.i usually run 8-12lbs in the tires.

Quick Reply: Type R gear ratios and boost, will they mix.