Notices

Two somewhat stupid questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 08:21 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two somewhat stupid questions...

I have two questions for you guys. I already asked Tomakit, but I wanna hear some other answers why it wouldn't work.

1) I can see that EGT temps are somewhat related to the amount of boost that you're pushing. For example, if I boost hard at 5psi, I can do it for a pretty long time until my temps reach a certain number. Now if I boost at 10psi, the rate that it rises to the same temperature is much quicker...therefore I can't stay at boost for as long as I did at 5psi. Now my question is (I already know it's impossible, but why?) what's to stop someone from just setting their boost at 30psi or something and letting off when the temps reach a certain point? Doesn't the EGT tell you the condition of your motor?

2) Second stupid qustion...hehe. Forgive me guys. Another EGT related one too. Say I want to boost until 1300F to be safe. However, if my A/F gauge still shows a good mixture, can I keep boosting? Say I boost all the way until 1450F or so (the point where my friend says is too much) but my A/F shows good figures? Does it mean I'm still safe?

Okay guys, thanks. I finally got my turbo in working order....somewhat. Turns out the S-AFC was crapping out. Now I want to know how hard I can run my car. Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Two somewhat stupid questions... (shamoo)

using your EGT that heavily for information is a bad idea. To figure out what the maximum PSI you should be boosting, you must look at the fuel system you are running, and determine its limits within a reasonable amount, then DONT boost past that.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:49 AM

2) Unless you have a wide band O2 sensor, then I wouldn't rely on the A/F you have now. Its prolly just a single wire O2, right? Those things aren't as accurate as the EGT. The EGT being closer to the engine will be more accurate.

1) You prolly don't have the fuel for anything above what you are running now. Even at 10psi you said your temps are rising. Just from that it sounds like you're running lean and should rethink the 10psi setup.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Two somewhat stupid questions... (98Psi ITR)

2) Unless you have a wide band O2 sensor, then I wouldn't rely on the A/F you have now. Its prolly just a single wire O2, right? Those things aren't as accurate as the EGT. The EGT being closer to the engine will be more accurate.

1) You prolly don't have the fuel for anything above what you are running now. Even at 10psi you said your temps are rising. Just from that it sounds like you're running lean and should rethink the 10psi setup.
Thanks guys...The A/F "gauge" I'm using right now is my friends laptop with the OBD program on it, it's reading O2 voltage. It's actually reading a good mixture when I'm boosting hard. That is where my question comes from. Does that mean I can boost higher? I'm only at 5psi now, and the 10psi question was just a hypothetical one.

How high should I run my EGTs? Right now I run to about 1300-1350F. However, I'm hearing some people on this board running as high as 1500F on a stock motor. As of right now, the temps on my car go to 1350F before I can complete a 1/4 mile run. Not tuned right? Or can I run higher? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:02 AM

do you have access to a dyno?
Old 12-17-2001, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Two somewhat stupid questions... (98Psi ITR)

do you have access to a dyno?
Nope, I know that would tell me a bunch of things, but I don't have too much time or money right now.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

then you dont have enough money to boost more than you are.

Tom
Old 12-17-2001, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Two somewhat stupid questions... (Tomakit)

then you dont have enough money to boost more than you are.
Tom
Figures.....in the world of turbo, everything revolves around money.