Notices

twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin turbo

i was wondering if anyone had ever tried using twin turbos on there car. not like 1 for 2 cylinders, i mean taking the downpipe from a large turbo to the exhaust side of a smaller turbo and then use the compressor out looped into the inlet of the larger turbo. ive seen it on semi trucks and wondered if the same basic principle would a pply to a small gas motor as it would a large diesel.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: twin turbo (raiden571)

That's overkill on a small gas motor. You will not get a positive response to this question in here.

Boost off idle would be a traction nightmare on lightweight cars and the plumbing for the system would be crowded. Yes, it can be done but the setup would be nothing more than a showcar or dynoqueen. For a small gas motor it would be best to stick with a convention setup that matches the powerband of the motor.

Semis need that extra off-idle power when hauling large loads while normal automotive motors do not.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin turbo (raiden571)

Are you talking about sequential- or compoundcharging? Diesels like the compund-method because they don't have a drop of fuel in the combustion chamber until a few milliseconds before TDC; ergo, no detonation, and the injected fuel mass itself dictate the power output and emissions. From what I gather, compundcharging has little- to no place in a conventional gasoline engine because the octane requirements @ a Pressure Ratio up in the 7's (wich is why one compoundcharges in the first place; high PR's) would make it extremely costly to run, and in the end one would make the same power on a simple and proven single turbocharger setup. A gasoline engine makes power from the air mass consumed, not the boost pressure (PR) in itself. Flow > pressure.

The above is pure guesswork on my part; I have no practical experience at all.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin turbo (Oyvind Ryeng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Oyvind Ryeng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you talking about sequential- or compoundcharging? Diesels like the compund-method because they don't have a drop of fuel in the combustion chamber until a few milliseconds before TDC; ergo, no detonation, and the injected fuel mass itself dictate the power output and emissions. From what I gather, compundcharging has little- to no place in a conventional gasoline engine because the octane requirements @ a Pressure Ratio up in the 7's (wich is why one compoundcharges in the first place; high PR's) would make it extremely costly to run, and in the end one would make the same power on a simple and proven single turbocharger setup. A gasoline engine makes power from the air mass consumed, not the boost pressure (PR) in itself. Flow &gt; pressure.

The above is pure guesswork on my part; I have no practical experience at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i aint got nothing
Old 12-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin turbo (Oyvind Ryeng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Oyvind Ryeng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you talking about sequential- or compoundcharging? Diesels like the compund-method because they don't have a drop of fuel in the combustion chamber until a few milliseconds before TDC; ergo, no detonation, and the injected fuel mass itself dictate the power output and emissions. From what I gather, compundcharging has little- to no place in a conventional gasoline engine because the octane requirements @ a Pressure Ratio up in the 7's (wich is why one compoundcharges in the first place; high PR's) would make it extremely costly to run, and in the end one would make the same power on a simple and proven single turbocharger setup. A gasoline engine makes power from the air mass consumed, not the boost pressure (PR) in itself. Flow &gt; pressure.

The above is pure guesswork on my part; I have no practical experience at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It works on a gas engine too theres a project vehicles section in How to tune & modify EMS's book a Toyota 3.0 V6 SW20 with a roots s/c and a T76 it was making 300lbft at 4k but this was using a MBC @ 5 psi it was set very low because TQ level's were going to go through the roof on the stock motor .

This is useless on a fwd Honda.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i never expected it to be used on the street but i figured maybe soemone has done it for a large displacemetn racaecar or some sort of exotic sports car. ive just never seen it done on a gasoline engine