Twin plate vs Single plate clutches

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin plate vs Single plate clutches

What are the main differences between a twin and single plate disk? Why do people go to twin plate clutches when they can get a single that holds? Is there a difference in pedal pressure and engaugement? Reliability?

Regards,
Justin
Old 03-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twin plate vs Single plate clutches (Justin Olson)

bump to keep this on the front pages ive wondered this also
Old 03-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

twins are generally lighter, much smoother engaging (easier on the trans/axles/driveline) and much more $$
Old 03-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twin plate vs Single plate clutches (Full-Race Geoff)

This is for my audi application. Here is what is available right now for the audi 5 cylinder making over 500awhp:

It will hold the power, but I'm not trying to kill the drivetrain with such a nasty single plate clutch. How would you like to drive the above spec stage 5 on the street?

I'm getting flamed and called an idiot for figuring out how to implement a Tilton twin disk set. The audi world drives me nuts sometimes.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you contacted tilton? They might be able to make you something for your setup instead of havin you retrofit a clutch. Id give em a call and see what they can do, as well as clutchmasters.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tilton will charge you 1k plus, I know I've asked em.

Multi plate clutches last longer and hold more torque.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

I have contacted Tilton. I've come up with a flywheel that will work. I'm buying the rest from them.

"Hello Justin,

If I was to pick the ultimate clutch for that car I would pick the triple-plate 7.25” carbon/carbon clutch as you suggested. Not only is it lighter, it is much smoother engaging and easier to modulate. The 66-002UGG clutch is a good racing clutch. But metallic clutches are a bit more towards the on/off end of the spectrum. How much they chatter is highly dependent on the driveline to which they are attached. If you have experience driving them in the same model of car that you have and they do not chatter, good. Otherwise, there is a decent chance that there will be a fair amount of chatter. Also, not everyone is not in the financial situation to purchase a carbon/carbon clutch. It costs somewhere around $3,500.

The next question is, will that taller carbon/carbon/clutch fit? I cannot answer that question without having a gearbox here.

We have flywheel designs and adapters that allow the hydraulic release bearing to mount directly to the gearbox for the S4 and RS6. I am not that familiar with the different Audi models and do not know if this will work for you or if you need something different. We do not stock these parts but have the drawings and can make them in 10 weeks. These are not aluminum flywheels. They are much more durable and just as light steel flywheels. We make only the highest level professional level parts. This is a complex flywheels with ignition triggers machined in place. One flywheel would probably cost about $1,600 (Guess, not a formal estimate). The cost will come down if more are needed. So, get your friends together if you want to pay less. It is just expensive to set up for one part.

I really want to avoid bouncing E-mails back and forth. If you have any more questions call me. If you want to go with a carbon/carbon clutch we will have to figure out which spring is best for you. And, there are some other details, such as master cylinder sizing. Note that I am not a salesman and will not push you for an order. I am the person who designed the clutch system for the winning Audis for Champion.

Regards,

Mike O’Neil

Managing Engineer

Tilton Engineering, Inc."
Old 03-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Justin Olson)

i would go tilton carbon, and be sure its not going to be a problem later on down the road... of course you better hope the trans is strong enough!!

i have had nothing but bad luck with the SPEC stuff
Old 03-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3500 bones dude throwing alot of green down right there.