Notices

Twin disk clutch problem already searched

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin disk clutch problem already searched

I just put in a clutchmasters twin disk clutch. After I put everything back together I started the car and pressed the clutch pedal in without putting the car into gear. I started hearing a rattling noise in clutch area, but once I started driving it went away. So I figured it was fine. Then I took the car down the street and everytime I come to a stop light and put my car in neutral when coming to a stop the car drops rpm's and dies. I don't know what it is. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 10-24-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twin disk clutch problem already searched (mchuang)

the rattling is normal that is the plates moving around when not being clamped by the pressure plate, i cant help you on the dying problem. what bolts did you use to secure the flywheel to the crank?
Old 10-24-2004, 07:04 PM

I used my stock honda bolts that were on my oem flywheel. It didnt come with any other ones. And I used the allen key bolts it came with to secure clutch to flywheel and i torqued them to 25lbs
Old 10-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mchuang)

the clutch noise is normal its vibration through the drive line cause the discs to rattle when no pressure is on them
Old 10-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what engine?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Twin disk clutch problem already searched (Jared)

It is a gsr bottom end. What you mean by pressure is that when the pedal is pressed down the there is no pressure and when you let go the pressure comes back right?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mchuang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used my stock honda bolts that were on my oem flywheel. It didnt come with any other ones. And I used the allen key bolts it came with to secure clutch to flywheel and i torqued them to 25lbs</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most twin disc clutches use honda automatic flywheel bolts. Is this what you used? U sure the flywheels tight??
Old 10-25-2004, 08:41 AM

Default Re: (ninesecrx)

Why would you use automatic flywheel bolts? I am pretty sure they are all tight. After I got them all tight i went over them with airgun about 3 times
Old 10-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the automatic flywheel bolts are shorter. With some(not sure if all) twindisk's the 5 spd bolts will bottom out.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DIRep972)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the automatic flywheel bolts are shorter. With some(not sure if all) twindisk's the 5 spd bolts will bottom out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-25-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Re: (Jared)

I think the manual ones are fine. I dont think it will get any better than the way it is right now. It grabs as hard as fat ladies grab cheeseburgers though. Jared I think you are right about the disks rattling and clutchmasters confirmed that. I think the reason why my car dies sometimes is that the clutch/flywheel assembly is so light. Well I guess it is time to throw my turbo setup on now.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:09 PM
New User

You will bottom out the stock Manual flywheel bolts!! Here are pics to show the difference, I had stock Manual bolts in and it was stripping the hole! Metal was on the bolt threads after I called a friend and confirmed had to use Manual SOHC bolts! If you don't use the correct bolts after awhile your flywheel will pop off! I have a Competition Clutch Twin Disc, same factory makes their twin disc that makes Clutchmasters, same clutch!

Far left stock manual, middle SOHC manual, right Auto bolts! Right is what you want!

Modified by Boostfed at 2:15 PM 10/26/2004
Old 10-25-2004, 11:17 PM
New User

Old 10-26-2004, 06:59 AM

No!!! that means I have to pull this **** apart again. Dam Im lazy Thx for info.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Re: (Boostfed)

Dam this sucks they should have told me that when I bought this thing.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:17 AM

I wonder sometimes if these places know their own product. I called clutchmasters up and they said you wanna use regular d-series bolts because they are smaller and cause clearance issues and then I call competition clutch up and they say you wanna use the d-series because they are longer. I told the guy at competion clutch are you sure because I was told the longer bolts bottom out. He said no you need the d series. Now Im just like wtf.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:19 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mchuang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder sometimes if these places know their own product. I called clutchmasters up and they said you wanna use regular d-series bolts because they are smaller and cause clearance issues and then I call competition clutch up and they say you wanna use the d-series because they are longer. I told the guy at competion clutch are you sure because I was told the longer bolts bottom out. He said no you need the d series. Now Im just like wtf.</TD></TR></TABLE>

D series manual bolts are what you use, in the middle on that pic I posted. I got all the bolts 99BlackCivicSi had and was short by two, so a friend with a CRX motor let me have two. It is the manual SOHC bolts you need and they are slightly shorter than the B series Manual bolst as you can see. Good luck, and think of it this way, it is better to pull it apart while you don't have a problem than if if strips, comes out and ***** your flywheel and clutch up! Expensive mistake. Get some compressored ait to clean out the holes since it will be some metal in there from bottomingthe other bolts out! Use locktite too on the new ones!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:38 PM

I got a friend with a twin disk also and he has his tranny out. I was looking at the flywheel and he used the twin cam bolts also. They lay really flush against flywheel like they are suppose to. Im bout to drop my tranny anyways because I dont wanna take any chances. Thx boostfed
Old 10-26-2004, 01:35 PM
New User

Yeag mine went flush EVEN though I noticed it was hesitant on the final torque on it. When I pulle them out there were metal threads where it was into the crank, DON'T WANT to **** your crank up! Make sure to clean the thread holes real well with some compressed air and such.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:32 PM

Thx man way to look out for a fellow si owner lol
Old 10-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im guessing your car is dieing because the flywheel/clutch is soo light. Try turning your idle up with the idle screw some, that should help. Also instead of just pushing in the clutch coming to a stop, downshift into a lower gear and then push in the clutch just before your idle - that should help too.

liam
Old 10-26-2004, 07:48 PM
lseg4door

nice cool
Old 10-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you learn something about building a crazy high hp honda everyday

is the flywheel really that much thinner in the mounting area?(whihc causes the need for shorter bolts)
Old 10-26-2004, 08:07 PM
New User

Default Re: (SiRkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you learn something about building a crazy high hp honda everyday

is the flywheel really that much thinner in the mounting area?(whihc causes the need for shorter bolts)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep!!! I thought about this idea, you could use washers or some type of lock washer spacer between the flwheel and the headof the flywheel bolt, that would work to take some slack away and not bottom the bolt out. HMMM! But I don't know if it woul dbe too far out and intefere with the discs in anyway
Old 10-26-2004, 08:36 PM

Nah better off using dx bolts. not like they cost a grand to come by

Quick Reply: Twin disk clutch problem already searched