Notices

Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help

I have a few questions for the turbo guys lurking around here. Lets put this discussion in the context of 6-7psi on a SOHC engine with a homemade kit put together.... :lol: I know Todd brings his car down the BP a bit and it doesn't seem to be a problem, so I dunno? Anyway here..

1. With a turbo setup and heat soak, is it dangerous to have a homemade turbo setup for daily driving. Like a 500+trip at one time?

2. What kind of Oil issues should be addressed besides oil temperature and the stock oil pan? Oil Cooler? Change the type of Oil?

3. How significant will daily driving put wear on the motor before I blow a headgasket, ruin rings, rods... entire engine?

-Andrew
Old 02-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (Terrabomb)

Just because you have a turbo on the car doesn't mean you are always boosting, it is very eay to stay out of boost for the entire journey, change oil at least every 3000miles. No need for oil cooler for an average setup. Use decent oil 10-30 either full synthetic or a blend. If you set it up right and get the car tuned properly ie on a dyno it should be just as reliable as it was when stock.

HTH's
Old 02-21-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just because you have a turbo on the car doesn't mean you are always boosting, it is very eay to stay out of boost for the entire journey, change oil at least every 3000miles. No need for oil cooler for an average setup. Use decent oil 10-30 either full synthetic or a blend. If you set it up right and get the car tuned properly ie on a dyno it should be just as reliable as it was when stock.

HTH's</TD></TR></TABLE>

more or less what he said...just take good care of it.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (ha illuminato un)

keep up on the maintanence and you should be fine
Old 02-21-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (J.R.)

How do you stay out of boost in the freeway? On my LS @80mph im around 3.5kish if I remember correctly.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (cracker099)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cracker099 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you stay out of boost in the freeway? On my LS @80mph im around 3.5kish if I remember correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Simple.........Get a big turbo, but seriously it isn't that hard to stay outta boost
Old 02-21-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (cracker099)

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I'm just concerned about these issues seeing my hatch will be my only car I have for transportation to and from school and work. I'm asking these questions before I decide to go all motor or boost. Being a partial newb to boost, the blow off valve sways me more toward the dark side. Luv the sound of it :D

T
Old 02-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Though people talk about turbos spooling at XXX rpm you have to remember it is about load on the engine ie how much throttle you are giving it... It will become clear once you have boost gauge hooked up my turbo can start boosting at 3000rpm if I want it to, but I can be cruising at 4000rpms will no boost building it depends how hard you have your foot the gas peddle to put it simply.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (turbozxi)

Just have a chunk of change saved up in case **** happens
Old 02-21-2004, 10:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Though people talk about turbos spooling at XXX rpm you have to remember it is about load on the engine ie how much throttle you are giving it... It will become clear once you have boost gauge hooked up my turbo can start boosting at 3000rpm if I want it to, but I can be cruising at 4000rpms will no boost building it depends how hard you have your foot the gas peddle to put it simply. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, after driving my friends 300ZX TT, I've notice that the car only builds boost when I get on the throttle. But when I was driving normal and not putting a load on the throttle, the car didn't build boost. I was even able to shift gears with no BOV cound going off.

So you car should be fine with the regular maintenance. Just don't drive it like you stole it, every single day.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cracker099 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you stay out of boost in the freeway? On my LS @80mph im around 3.5kish if I remember correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you probably have some suspension or wheel/tire/bearing issues which are greatily increasing power required to maintain that speed. (or you have seriously diminished engine power over stock)

sorry to get off topic.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Though people talk about turbos spooling at XXX rpm you have to remember it is about load on the engine ie how much throttle you are giving it... It will become clear once you have boost gauge hooked up my turbo can start boosting at 3000rpm if I want it to, but I can be cruising at 4000rpms will no boost building it depends how hard you have your foot the gas peddle to put it simply. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's amazing how many people don't know this. It's even worse in a lighter car to build boost. It will generally take longer for a specific setup to build boost in a lighter car, than a heavier car.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (nd_styles)

Even with my 'lil engine, I can cruise at 100mhp in 5th gear and be at 0 boost....
Old 02-22-2004, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (Nick7)

Thanks Guys, great replies so far. Yea it never really kicked in(exams got me drained) that the boost only kicks in when the turbo spools up(duh). I'm just thinking perhaps you could mount a remote valve somewhere between the intercooler and the intake so it could be impossible when the valve is open? Or is this idea just crazy?

Also I am wondering about the specific manifold types that I could use for a d16z6 setup. Now I am wondering about flow rates and what kind of turbo would stay the coolest? Now I know that they can great to like 800+ degrees at times but I'm wondering whether a modified HF manifold it with an adaptor plate on it, or something like the funky octupus weilding arm manfiold such as the one below gets more hot or less?

T
Old 02-22-2004, 07:05 PM

somebody ask that guy if i can go for a ride in that blue si
Old 02-22-2004, 07:34 PM

get a boost gauge and u will understand...ur motor will not boost because it might only take 50hp to go 80

my b16 in my rex turns almost 5000 rpm at 80 and it does not boost unless i get my foot 35% or more throttle according to my hondata.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (JrCRXHF)

are there any other good sites for looking up info for boosting my d16z6?

honda-tech
clubsi
turbod16
???

others?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (Terrabomb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Terrabomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are there any other good sites for looking up info for boosting my d16z6?

honda-tech
clubsi
turbod16
???

others?</TD></TR></TABLE>

homemadeturbo.com aka HMT great site
Old 02-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (lazerus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you probably have some suspension or wheel/tire/bearing issues which are greatily increasing power required to maintain that speed. (or you have seriously diminished engine power over stock)

sorry to get off topic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, in my '99 LS I'm at about 3.5k at 80 as well
Old 02-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (94gsr4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94gsr4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Simple.........Get a big turbo, but seriously it isn't that hard to stay outta boost</TD></TR></TABLE>
what? you dont need a big turbo to stay out of boost. yes witha smaller turbo you might go into boost alot quicker....but if you are cruzing on the freeway you create boost when there is load( when you floor your car). you can be accelerating and not even be in boost....
Old 02-24-2004, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (Cramerox)

This debate is going good I must say guys. I gotta say though. In Canada the speedlimit is around 100-110 km/hr and that usually brings me to 3000-3200rpm in 5th on the EG SI tranny or EG EX/SI for those who are from the states. Isn't that significant enough to create boost?

SOOOOOOOoooooo....I'm gonna start looking for parts. Right now I have a SOHC d16z6 with 260,000kms on it. It doesn't smoke and only burns oil when I drive the **** out of it, like anything I guess.

I'm going to start shopping for a turbo and manifold. Once I get these I believe I'll be committed enough to the cause to follow through with buying the rest of the parts. So I'm thinking t24?? with some HF modified manifold to save money? What do you guys think?

T
Old 02-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Terrabomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This debate is going good I must say guys. I gotta say though. In Canada the speedlimit is around 100-110 km/hr and that usually brings me to 3000-3200rpm in 5th on the EG SI tranny or EG EX/SI for those who are from the states. Isn't that significant enough to create boost?

SOOOOOOOoooooo....I'm gonna start looking for parts. Right now I have a SOHC d16z6 with 260,000kms on it. It doesn't smoke and only burns oil when I drive the **** out of it, like anything I guess.

I'm going to start shopping for a turbo and manifold. Once I get these I believe I'll be committed enough to the cause to follow through with buying the rest of the parts. So I'm thinking t24?? with some HF modified manifold to save money? What do you guys think?

T</TD></TR></TABLE>

cruising RPM has NOTHING to do with building boost...i could be rolling on the highway at 10000 RPM or 1000RPM and neither are gunna be building boost. The only time you will build boost is if you drive up a ******* cliff with cruise control on (cruise control will need to heavily accelerate to start building load and start making boost) or if you press the gas fairly firmly. This is even on a small *** td05-15g greddy SOHC kit.

mike
Old 02-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (MikeMAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeMAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cruising RPM has NOTHING to do with building boost...i could be rolling on the highway at 10000 RPM or 1000RPM and neither are gunna be building boost. The only time you will build boost is if you drive up a ******* cliff with cruise control on (cruise control will need to heavily accelerate to start building load and start making boost) or if you press the gas fairly firmly. This is even on a small *** td05-15g greddy SOHC kit.

mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

Off topic: I took my CC out, never used it much, but how does it handle boost when it occurs? Smooth or jerky transitions in and out? Just wondering
Old 02-24-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (mskibbz-T)

You only boost when the throttle plate is open. So when you apply enough pedal pressure you will be eventually be in boost, but that rate of acceration is uncalled for for daily street driving unless you are climbing a steep *** hill. I daily it everyday and the gauge always reads vac, and I have no problem getting to where I am going.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help (mskibbz-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mskibbz-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Off topic: I took my CC out, never used it much, but how does it handle boost when it occurs? Smooth or jerky transitions in and out? Just wondering</TD></TR></TABLE>

very smooth transitions.....

and to respond to dualknuttz1..your throttle plate is always open, albeit sometimes more than others but the rest of your post makes perfect sense.

Quick Reply: Turbo'ing a Daily Driver Questions.. Searched and no help